KB vs. Eaton Install

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I've swapped several ported Eatons, but never a KB. I'm curious to know how different a KB install is compared to an Eaton.

I've done some searching and came up with bubkis. :read: I did find TooFast4u's KB Install Tips post which is helpful.

Does Kenne Belle have their install instructions online somewhere? I check their homepage and I didn't find them.

Thanks.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I heard the bolt under the KB inlet is a pain in the ass. The rest of the install should be about the same I would think?

Justin Blake

Kenne Bell Powered
Established Member
I think the install are almost the exactly the same, if you can do the eaton, you can do the kb, whipple or whatever.

Eatonup

Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
I heard the bolt under the KB inlet is a pain in the ass. The rest of the install should be about the same I would think?

How do you tighten that bolt? Anyone know? :shrug:

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
the bolt can be tightend using an allen wrench with a "ball socket end"...also, i think if i were to do it again i would definitely assemble everything together on the bench (manifold,blower,intercooler,injectors,rails,etc.) and the just lower the whole thing onto the engine as one piece. I havent tried this method (yet) but after doing it the other way (instruction manual) i dont see why it couldnt be done.....it sure would be alot easier that way. I couldve sworn i read somewhere on here before about someone else saying that they have done it this way and it worked out great.

skunkt-u

Established Member
WS6JJP said:
the bolt can be tightend using an allen wrench with a "ball socket end"...also, i think if i were to do it again i would definitely assemble everything together on the bench (manifold,blower,intercooler,injectors,rails,etc.) and the just lower the whole thing onto the engine as one piece. I havent tried this method (yet) but after doing it the other way (instruction manual) i dont see why it couldnt be done.....it sure would be alot easier that way. I couldve sworn i read somewhere on here before about someone else saying that they have done it this way and it worked out great.
What lowering springs do you have? thanks "J"

Eatonup

Established Member
WS6JJP said:

Where did you buy the allen wrench with the ball socket end? Another question is how do you know that you've torqued the bolts correctly with an Allen wrench, 18ft/lbs? Thanks.

Silver 03 Cobra

Eatonup said:
Where did you buy the allen wrench with the ball socket end? Another question is how do you know that you've torqued the bolts correctly with an Allen wrench, 18ft/lbs? Thanks.

A ball nosed wrench comes with the KB kit. It's not that bad. The rear fuel rail bolt was the worst for me but if you **** the intake a little you can get to it. I didn't use a torque wrench. I guess you may be able to distort the lower intake some if you didn't get things torque properly. I started in the middle on each side and worked my way out till I had them about right. 7 ft-lbs. aint much.

I don't see how you can assemble the blower to the lower intake and drop the whole assembly on the engine. It's not that easy putting the lower intake back on by itself. I've done two KB's and the last one I tied up all the lines with tie wraps to keep them out of the intake and it wasn't that bad.

One of the KB's I installed the EGR valve didn't line up and it was a nightmare. The other one wasn't too bad. Don't put the EGR valve on until you have set the blower in place. KB instructs you to install it while the blower is on the bench. Also, loosen the EGR tube on the exhaust and don't tighten down the lower intake till you install the EGR valve and started the EGR tube nuts. That way you can lift it a little if needed to line of the valve to the tube.

Eatonup

Established Member
Silver03Snake said:
A ball nosed wrench comes with the KB kit. It's not that bad. The rear fuel rail bolt was the worst for me but if you **** the intake a little you can get to it. I didn't use a torque wrench. I guess you may be able to distort the lower intake some if you didn't get things torque properly. I started in the middle on each side and worked my way out till I had them about right. 7 ft-lbs. aint much.

I don't see how you can assemble the blower to the lower intake and drop the whole assembly on the engine. It's not that easy putting the lower intake back on by itself. I've done two KB's and the last one I tied up all the lines with tie wraps to keep them out of the intake and it wasn't that bad.

One of the KB's I installed the EGR valve didn't line up and it was a nightmare. The other one wasn't too bad. Don't put the EGR valve on until you have set the blower in place. KB instructs you to install it while the blower is on the bench. Also, loosen the EGR tube on the exhaust and don't tighten down the lower intake till you install the EGR valve and started the EGR tube nuts. That way you can lift it a little if needed to line of the valve to the tube.

I asked the wrong question. What is a ball nosed allen wrench and how do you use it? Thanks.

Silver 03 Cobra

A ball nose allen wrench has angles ground on the end and up the shank in an inverted direction giving the wrench a hexagon shaped ball. These angles allow you to angle the allen wrench to get into places a straight on allen wrench won't work.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
skunkt-u said:
What lowering springs do you have? thanks "J"
H&R road race springs in the rear with a coil taken off and stock spring in the front with a coil or two taken off

Users who are viewing this thread