KB/Whipple cars slower then Ported Eaton-small NOS shot cars?

87FOXGT

Established Member
I was just reading venomous03cobras post where he ran a 10.47@134 with a ported apten and a 60 shot. IS it just me or is this faster then the vast majority or KB/Whipple cars, even though alot of you KB/Whipple guys are putting down 600+ to the wheels. What gives? Seems like all the aftermarket blower cars i see on here are runnin in the 126-132ish range, with of course a few exceptions.

I mean i realize traction is a big issue, but i would still think that the traps on alot of these 600 rw KB/Whipple cars would be alot higher. Not trying to start any drama, i am honestly just curious as to why a ported apten car can outrun the majority of the aftermarket blower cars that ya see on here.

It just makes me wonder if a KB is a worthwhile investment, why spend money for a new blower, when porting and a small shot will do just as much for me performance wise, for less money.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this? KB/Whipple folks, please chime in!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Fang

Established Member
Because it is ALWAYS there.......................... :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
This has been brought up many times in the past and there are a lot of reasons the KB/whipple cars arent as fast as one would espect.

1at off a 60shot in these pos diaplacement cars is more like a 120shot on an NA car. NOS also drastically increases torque, much much more so than just adding boost.

Next, a lot of KB/whipple cars are still running the stock clutch, they slip like mad when the RPM's get high. And then of course as you mentioned traction is always an issue. Most eaton car with NOS run window switches and wont have nearly the TQ at the starting line and thus wont have as much of a traction issue. Heck in my case, this is the 1st car I have ever run down the 1/4 and the 1st manual tranny car I have owned, so my poor track number, in addition to the above issues, is simply because I cant drive :)

Those are the mains reasons I see. Personally I like having the 600+ rwhp on tap all the time and not have to worry about a bottle of juice. If you simply cant justify the money for KB whipple, then heck, by all means stick with an eaton and nos.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I think the biggest factor is the driver mod. If you have ever seen an in car camera video of venomous03cobra shift gears down the track it is pretty scary. He is one person that can drive the car to its full potential.

scotto

Established Member
Chonger said:
I think the biggest factor is the driver mod. If you have ever seen an in car camera video of venomous03cobra shift gears down the track it is pretty scary. He is one person that can drive the car to its full potential.

Im going to agree and say that ****in guy can flat out drive his shit. Him Vs. the average person on here driving is probably a .3-.5 second difference. Also When you look at power #s for the Kb/whipple Vs. the eaton and N2O Both cars put out similar Hp #s in the low to mid 600 range but teh torque on teh N20 is about 100-125 ft/lbs better on teh spray.

For me personally having the power there all the time is what made my decision to go with the aftermarket blower. Also you can always spray teh kb/whipple and then the eaton is behind again

It just comes down to what you want to do with teh car. Any way that you go these cars are badass and alot of fun to drive. Not to mention that for the money we invest on them there isnt much that will touch us

Good luck with making a choice :beer:

tickingcobra

Banned
I have a whipple, and with 15psi I'm at 592 and 536. I raced broke with his ported blower upper/lower combo and NOS, he beat me...Man it's the torque that the car makes with NOS...Throw NOS on a KB/Whipple and look out.........

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
Without a doubt the TQ is incredible when you have a blower and NOS, But then again your looking at 2 power adders apposed to 1 power adder. What are people running with KB's and Nitrous? If you have the money I would do the KB/Whipple/procharger.

numbaonestunna

Established Member
the other thing is..

If you're racing anything but the 1/4 mile, the KB/Whipple will own. It doesn't get as heat soaked, and you can't squeeze all the way around a road course. =) For straight line at the track under prepped conditions, the Eaton/juice will probably do the trick. From a roll or on the track, I would go with the KB hands down... :coolman:

Bad03Cobra

Gotta love Boost........
Established Member
SloIndyCobra said:
I was wondering this also. What are the times for a whipple or KB and juice?

All the cars that have been set up right are all in the mid to low 9's. This is with the KB, whipples I don't know.

I know some people are going to get offended but it is hard for me to believe a 60 shot on a ported blower will net you those times. Maybe he just has a factory freek. There are plenty of guys running close to this combo and only trapping high 120's. So again I am not saying he did not do it but it will not be common for his set up. :bowdown:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Bad03Cobra said:
All the cars that have been set up right are all in the mid to low 9's. This is with the KB, whipples I don't know.

I know some people are going to get offended but it is hard for me to believe a 60 shot on a ported blower will net you those times. Maybe he just has a factory freek. There are plenty of guys running close to this combo and only trapping high 120's. So again I am not saying he did not do it but it will not be common for his set up. :bowdown:
Believe it Bob, lol, John is a stand up guy and no BS! He didnt even mention that he ran almost 130 on blower alone, that is just as impressive! Not to mention he is only pushing 15 lbs of boost. Fact of the matter is, in the hands of the right driver, and car can be deadly.

So many people with no skills think they can slap on a different blower, pull 600 on the dyno and go run a 10 and that just isnt the case. TQ is the big key and that's why in most instances a Eaton can keep up with a screw car because the Eaton makes big TQ due to it's inefficient nature.

I can onloy imagine what John would run with some weight savings and an auto. He is still in the 3800 lb range with driver....

87FOXGT

Established Member
You guys brought up alot of great points. I think obviously driver skill is a HUGE factor. But besides that, like someone said before, a small NOS shot will give you a HUGE increase in tq, so that helps as well.

As for me well considering i think i can drive pretty decent, i will be going the KB route, and maybe like a 30 shot, or maybe a 50, hehe ok maybe 60 but thats IT. But first things first, i need to upgrade clutch, input shaft, halfshafts, rear brace, etc etc

600 rwhp is no fun if youre breakin stuff all the time. Thanks for the replies guys, i appreciate it!

ModsAway

Established Member
All the points have been made but another to consider is the legality of NOS. I know here it is not street legal and I imagine it is not in most places. Much rather have the KB, always on tap and legal to boot.

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Here are my thoughts..

1. He's a hell of a driver
2. Window switch helps
3. Traction

I have a whipple and at 580 RWHP I went 11.18 @ 129.52, but that was with no suspension mods what so ever. I rolled to a very slow 1.8x 60 because I was to worried about hop, and granny shifted the whole way down the track because the DR's didn't want to hook up very well, and I still have 10 spline input shaft even though I went with CFDF clutch (idiot), and so I figured that was the best way to keep the car goin straight. With the half shafts goin in this week, and the tires a little better worn in, I'm gonna try for better 60' times, and hopefully drop into the 10's. And here's the best part, I don't think I'm a good driver at all. I think whipple/KB cars can go that fast or faster without nitrous, you just have to be a good driver and have the right suspension mods.. I know he has IRS, but that doesn't mean he hasn't put a lot of money it in to keep it safe...

vetkilr

When 600rwhp isnt enough.
Established Member
Bad03Cobra said:

I dont think it is as uncommon as you think :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread