KB/Whipple guys on stock internals.

wiltshp

Established Member
How many lbs boost are you running. Do you change if you go to the track? Also..... what psi do you recommend not going over with stock internals.

Last edited:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I'm running the RR 3.2 pulley (about 15 pounds) but it climbs to 16 and 17 at the top end. After I get some other things upgraded I am going to step up to a 3.0 pulley for drag strip use. I will go back to the 3.2 or even 3.5 for road track racing.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
17#'s (3.0 Whipple Pulley) is the sweet spot for the street.

-Jeff

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
keep it coming guys, i'm very interested in knowing what level is safe (assuming a good tune) for the street on my stock bottom end.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
kirks5oh said:
keep it coming guys, i'm very interested in knowing what level is safe (assuming a good tune) for the street on my stock bottom end.
Pretty much 17 is where it is at. If you start getting up over that you are really going to need to run better fuel than pump gas to be safe. 17 on the whipple is easy and makes tons of power with relatively cool air intake temps compared to an eaton setup.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
But cooling mods need to be done, right? I guess what I'm asking, is what's EVERYTHING you need to run 17#'s safely?

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Lethalchem said:
But cooling mods need to be done, right? I guess what I'm asking, is what's EVERYTHING you need to run 17#'s safely?
YES!!!! My LDC mod, and AFCO double pass H/E go on in March with all the rest of the shit i have on my floor.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Lethalchem said:

Cooling mods are a must even on a stock car that is driven hard IMHO> A heat exchanger and larger HE reservoir are not cooling mods. They should be done though. A larger radiator, rad. reservoir, head cooling mod, thermo, fans turned on earlier with the tune, better coolant such as Evans NPG or even regular coolant mixed with an addative are all cooling mods that should be done to be on the safe side.

Just ask Jimmysidecar and he can tell you all about it.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
17lbs for the street and 21lbs for the track or more fun (w/ 110 octane) for me.

I have seen people running 24lbs at the track without problems for a while now. There are some on this forum. Hell I think there is are a few running high boost and juice and seeing well over 700rwhp. Now I wouldn't recommend that especially without race gas, but it does show what these engines are capable of.

With the right tune, supporting mods, maintenance and driving habits there is no reason a high boost Cobra wouldn't be reliable at the same time.

Bullitt4110

Established Member
forcefedcobra said:
Cooling mods are a must even on a stock car that is driven hard IMHO> A heat exchanger and larger HE reservoir are not cooling mods. They should be done though. A larger radiator, rad. reservoir, head cooling mod, thermo, fans turned on earlier with the tune, better coolant such as Evans NPG or even regular coolant mixed with an addative are all cooling mods that should be done to be on the safe side.

Just ask Jimmysidecar and he can tell you all about it.
+1, I have all of that except the thermostat. I will most likely do that as it get closer to summer.

8URZ-28

Boost Freak
Established Member
Whipples love lower pullies, 3.5/4# is a killer combo for the street. Run a big upper and a big lower for best results.

CWD

Established Member
4# lower 3.25 upper

18lb boost and 98 octane. Get bored turn on 75 dry shot with NOS tune. more than enough. And yes all the cooling mods.

Thrust

Established Member
I'm running a 2.6kb @20lbs with 18 degrees of timing. I have all stock internals, but I am running an evenflow head cooling mod. I have a conservetive MPH tune, so Im not too worried about my block. I am a conservetive driver. I don't rape my car, however it does get felt up and molested every now and then.:-D

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
rob03svt06 said:
Hissman... is that with the Stock Lower? Nice #'s too

Yes, stock lower. I figure one day I will put the 15# pulley back on top and put a 2# lower on to maybe help get the torque up a bit. But I will just have to play around with it a bit. As things are now, I am not sure it I want the torque any higher on the street. I am going to see if I can get it to hook up any better once the weather gets warmer. Anything below 70 degrees and traction is a no go.

-Jeff

- Aj -

Established Member
Thrust said:
I'm running a 2.6kb @20lbs with 18 degrees of timing. I have all stock internals, but I am running an evenflow head cooling mod. I have a conservetive MPH tune, so Im not too worried about my block. I am a conservetive driver. I don't rape my car, however it does get felt up and molested every now and then.:-D

What numbers did you make and on what octane?

Users who are viewing this thread