KB/Whipple guys.... was it all worth it????

87FOXGT

Established Member
Well guys, I am slowly getting closer to coming back home for good from Iraq, and I am about to take the plunge and upgrade with a KB with all the supporting mods, drivetrain upgrades, etc that my snake will need to run safely and reliably at the 550-600 rwhp level.

My question to all of you is, if you had a chance to do it over again, would you?? Was it worth all the money invested? I love my car but I figure i will be over 10k once all is said and done for parts and GOOD tuning. Thats no small lump of change, and i know there are other more productive things i could do with the money.

But on the other hand, if theres anything i was definately reminded while ive been here in iraq, is youve got one life to live and you better make the most of it, so I think I would be very happy once i got the KB on and the car finally finished! I absolutely love this car and i dont think i can ever sell it!

What do you guys think? Would you do it again? What are your thoughts, just curious as to what the guys that have been there and done that think of it all, now that they can look back at all the work put in and money spent.

Thanks in advance for your replies guys, I appreciate you taking the time to give your thoughts!!

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
For 550-600 i would just do a Ported blower and Spray..plus your TQ will be through the roof..now you can always just spray a whipple also..now that would be dirty.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
I don't regret mine one bit. Should have done it first instead of wasting money on tunes and upper pulleys for the Eaton.

billyfe390

Banned
Ive done 2 whipple swaps for customers and for the 5 hours it takes to swap the parts and the other hour of tuning I can tell you that your money and time ahead with them.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
I obviously don't have either, however, I've heard enough "BAD STUFF" about those that do actually have them...motors blowing up, broken driveline components, no warranty etc. Sure, there are plenty of folks that have them with no issues and plenty of folks that don't have them but do have heavily modded cobra's with issues as well. Tough call, but I wouldn't do it...

In my opinion, I'd take my snake and do "the usual" (steggy 3, upper and lower pulley's, tune, cai, exhaust, etc.) to get it to 500-525HP, then get a nice safe wet N2O kit for it that's connected to your throttle body sensor and only activates on WOT so you'll severely limit your chances of even having the bottle foul something up.

Then, I'd put the rest into "show mods" and make it truly one of the baddest looking, most uinique cobra's in the land. Custom everything (custom, NOT rice!!), bad a$$ suspension, the PERFECT set of wheels/tires. Maxed out unique looking engine bay, sweet interior, etc. etc. etc.

Honestly, to have 525HP without touching the bottle (and we all know the bottle will only add MUCH more!), you're pretty much dusting off anything in your way. AND, to have that power in a car that is completely unique, totally YOURS and looks like NO ONE ELSES...well, that's what it's all about, right!?!?

primo

Established Member
Hell ya its worth it. KB 2.2 and a 50 shot here. It's stupid fast! :rockon:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Eaton way is cheaper, your engine will probably last longer if you don't do the supporting mods with it as compared to the twin screws.

Twin Screws make more power, cost more money.

For what your aiming for in power, keep your Eaton.

Last edited:

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
If I had it to do over I would have gone straight to a whipple and skipped messing around with ported blowers and all the other crap I went through.

and for the record plenty of people have blown up stock and ported cobras, its not just whipples and kb's and 90% of the time its there crappy tune and not the fact that they are running a whipple/kb.

and porting a blower screws your warranty the same as getting rid of the heaton.

plus if I want more power I have a lot more flexibility then the alternative (getting a bigger bottle). and you can still always put nitrous on later if you really need 8 or 900hp with your whipple/kb :)

if you have the money skip futzing around with all that other stuff just chuck the heaton and get a better blower.

billyfe390

Banned
Ported or not the eaton is still an inefficient heat pump at higher boost.

Granted its expensive but a twin screw is better in every way than a eaton ported or not.

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
87FOXGT-
If you are -absolutely sure- you want to stay @ the power levels in your 1st post, keep the eaton. If your even thinking about more power in the future, just save the hassle and buy the twin screw.

BuffDigits said:
and for the record plenty of people have blown up stock and ported cobras, its not just whipples and kb's and 90% of the time its there crappy tune and not the fact that they are running a whipple/kb.

I'd have to disagree...

According to the #'s in here:

Failures resulting from "true" mechanical failures or inadequate mechanical upgrades having nothing to do with the tune = 25 engines. Examples include fuel systems/injectors, vaccum leaks, piston failures not related to heat.

Followed by too much heat (almost always on 7 and 8) = 15 engines.

Followed by bad tunes = 6 engines.

Although that is not a random sample of engines (they range from bone stock to 5.0 strokers with big boost KB's), it paints a picture.

Last edited:

BiZ

Established Member
It's a tough call. You can certainly reach that power level for less money with the Eaton, as seen here with many members with that power. But you will be very near the peak of the Eaton's potential. With the Twin Screw you have just scratched the surface. You could be just a pulley and a tune away from even more power.

billyfe390

Banned
50 BMG said:
87FOXGT-
If you are -absolutely sure- you want to stay @ the power levels in your 1st post, keep the eaton. If your even thinking about more power in the future, just save the hassle and buy the twin screw.

I'd have to disagree...

According to the #'s in here:

Failures resulting from "true" mechanical failures or inadequate mechanical upgrades having nothing to do with the tune = 25 engines. Examples include fuel systems/injectors, vaccum leaks, piston failures not related to heat.

Followed by too much heat (almost always on 7 and 8) = 15 engines.

Followed by bad tunes = 6 engines.

Although that is not a random sample of engines (they range from bone stock to 5.0 strokers with big boost KB's), it paints a picture.

The simple thing that your not understanding is that when you race a car and build more and more power things break. It doesnt matter whether you have a turbo, heaton, whipple, procharger, nitrous or god sitting inside the motor.

Your implying that the eaton is the answer to this problem and then you go on to say add nitrous to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

CobraMystic

Established Member
Having a KB or a Whipple is worth it if you want to get a much power as possible (unless you go with a turbo). Ported/pulleyed Eaton's do seem to make a lot of hp for the $$$. Its all about what you'll be doing with your car.

94.01.03.snakes

Established Member
go for it. if you do the right mods and have the right people do the tune. you wont have any problems. my car is more streetable now than when it was stock. kb 2.2 crower stg 2 cams kooks 1 3/4 custom headers 3'' collectors 3'' kooks x-pipe 3'' cat back drive shaft shop level 2 1/2 shafts all the rear end goodies h&r springs md fuel line upgrade k.b. bap. & bas. etc. 632 rwhp 548 tq 17 psi. 18 degrees timing

Users who are viewing this thread