KDW or GSD3?

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
you might wanna take a stab at KDWS.. i have 285/40/17 on my car now and when I let the clutch out off of idle then FLOOR it.. I have no traction loss what so ever.. of course this was after I installed the front diff bushings.. these tires performed well and have a speed rating of like 186 or something. I had the KDW last year.. I did like them and have no negatives about them but the traction was noticeable better in the KDWS.

EDIT:ADD/ In my opinion, goodyear is overpriced!

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
I would go w/BFG's because they are cheaper and have a better UTQG rating for daily driving.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
The GSD3s are consistently one of the highest-rated street tires all-around, but as others have said, very pricey.

I chose the KDW2s because they also got quite a high all-around rating, are significantly cheaper, and I prefer the tread pattern (although that's not a huge deal to me).

To me, the only drawback of the KDWs is they're only available in an 18" tire up to 295. Would've loved to get a 305 or 315 out back.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
The GSD3s are consistently one of the highest-rated street tires all-around, but as others have said, very pricey.

I chose the KDW2s because they also got quite a high all-around rating, are significantly cheaper, and I prefer the tread pattern (although that's not a huge deal to me).

To me, the only drawback of the KDWs is they're only available in an 18" tire up to 295. Would've loved to get a 305 or 315 out back.

335 might fit.. they make that one.. their rim ratings sometimes are b/s :eek:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I have used both on several cars and find the new GSD3 to be far superior- much better steering feedback, more gradual at breakaway, better traction on acceleration and incredible in the rain. They're worth the money.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
+1

I've had both on my car and I'll buy the GS-D3's next time. I wasn't able to get them due to a Goodyear strike about 6 months ago.

The GS-D3 was better in the wet and dry with little or no noise. It's probably the best street tire I've run. Ask how many of the KDW guys have used both tires.

I have used both on several cars and find the new GSD3 to be far superior- much better steering feedback, more gradual at breakaway, better traction on acceleration and incredible in the rain. They're worth the money.

pvteye

Established Member
Had KDW's on 18" FR500 wheels, have 18" GS D3's on Bullitts now. BFG's are good however I prefer the GS D3's.

*P*Grass

i need to get 600+ on 20$
Established Member
not to hijack this but where would you buy those from? tire rack? some place better that you recommend?

thanks!

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
+1

I've had both on my car and I'll buy the GS-D3's next time. I wasn't able to get them due to a Goodyear strike about 6 months ago.

The GS-D3 was better in the wet and dry with little or no noise. It's probably the best street tire I've run. Ask how many of the KDW guys have used both tires.

I have, and the GS-D3s are a little better in grip. There is no way the KDWs grip better. Also, don't get KDWSs. Those are snow tires! The Goodyears are about $200 per tire at Discount Tire.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
For you folks who are saying traction is better with the GS D3, are you comparing them to the KDW 2's (NT)?
I wore out two sets of GS-D3s and loved them. This time around I went with the KDW 2's and they hook a whole lot better than the goodyears with less frequent wheelhop. This is on a 600+ rwhp car.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I've only used the KDW's and not the KDW 2's, so I can't comment on those. I've actually purchased most of my tires from the local Discount Tire or NTW, since they'll price match most online sales with shipping. You get the pro-rated road hazard on tires from Discount for no charge.....it's come in handy at least twice. For some reason nails like to go through my outside tread block.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
The last time I bought the GS-D3's they were $15-20 more per tire than the KDW's. If there was a significant cost difference, like $50 per tire I might try the KDW2's. I have been happy with both, but for $80-100 difference for the set I'd go GS-D3's all the way.

Juruense

Banned
Uh the KDWS is not a snow tire. It is an all season performance tire which is suitable for use in light snow in addition to rain.

KDWS = KeyFeature: Dry Wet Snow I have a brand new set of these on my Cobra, my only complaint is they are a bit noisy with the top down.

At Discount Tire a set of DS3s in the stock size would cost $160 more than a set of KDWs in the stock size.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread