Keep 02 GT or sell for a _____.

Black2010

Established Member
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this but I didn't want to post in a forum specific to the car I have now or what I'm looking to buy as I figured it would be quite skewed on the feedback. Thinking this would give me a more rounded audience.

I have a (paid off) 02 GT convert that just rolled 60K miles. Car is near mint with the exception of needing a new rear bumper from where it got bumped (barely noticeable but drives me nuts) and a slight head tick. The car is nearly stock. I have a bassani catback, Steeda lowering springs, Steeda CC plates and a H&N CAI.

I've been thinking of selling the car or modding it at this point. My other stangs are a 2010GT with the 427R conversion done to it as well as an 04 convt cobra (same mods as the GT). I'm not looking to race the GT nor am I someone that is shooting for crazy HP. I just want it to be more fun and hang with my current cars.

My initial thought was to sell the GT and pick up another cobra (coupe this time) since I LOVE our cobra. I'm assuming the cost difference would be about $15K to make the change. I then had the thought of buying a totaled Mach1 and converting my GT to the Mach1 drivetrain and adding some gears. My last thought has been to just keep the car and mod it. I'm looking for 350-400 RWHP out of it though to get it to where I think it would be as much fun as my other stangs. I have a slight head tick in the car so I was thinking of just going with the trickflow heads (since I need to change the heads to fix the tic), some nice cams, gears, intake and tune.

I had even thought about getting another vette (have an 85), probably a c5 Z06, but I'm not sure I'd want another 2 seat car since I'll have a family of 4 in October. What would you do?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Sell it and get a SHO. That's what I finally settled on and will be getting one either this Fall or early Spring.

Black2010

Established Member
Appreciate the feedback so far. I know for sure I'm not interested at all in a 4 door car. We have a Durango RT that handles most of the family duties. If I sold it and bought something else it would be for either another 03/04 cobra, C5 Z06 or maybe a Mach1. Love the car but I'm having that debate on if it's worth the amount of money it would take to make it fun vs just taking that cash and putting it into a car would have what I want in it's fairly stock form.

I did consider a new stang but I'm not interested in another car payment of that size.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I'd supercharge the GT, it'll be safe at the power levels you want. Then spend the rest of the money elsewhere.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
+1 On fun 4 door sedan. A stock Cobra is already faster than a modified GT, can be more comfortable and fun due to the IRS.

Last edited:

Black2010

Established Member
what about a fox body? with 25k.....you could build a BEAST

Only fox my wife would allow is a 93 cobra and I'm just not interested in paying that kind of cash for one. I have thought about it though. I had also considered a 94/95 Cobra or GT. Would be kind of cool to have a real nice older stang as you don't see them at every corner in town.

Users who are viewing this thread