Keep or sell?

marco93cobra

Established Member
I have a nice 93 Cobra, blk with 74K miles. I love the car and I do have it posted for sale here on the board. I was thinking about it, cause I really dont want to sell it or have it, just is the right thing to do with my current situation, (baby, going to finish college, like 3 semesters left), I have a Gen I lightning that I can drive, but gas is killing me in it, the wife has her new car, so that isnt hurting, and the Cobra. I wanted to trade it for soemthing that I can drive more reliable than a stroked and supercharged cobra or a gas hog truck. In all honesty, would I regret selling the car now when I can try and tough it out for the next couple years.

I thought about pulling the motor out and selling it stock, not original motor, but the car is still low miles and I am not selling the car with an motor that I have 18grand into, but I still could pull soem money to get me into soemthing nice.

Should I keep the car stored, drive it what I can and hope nothing happens to it, pull the engine and sell, what. I dont know but I need soemthing that I can save the most money on, cause the income is going to stop rolling in:eek:

stangbear427

Established Member
You should be able to save all kinds of money riding that CBR, yes? I'd sell the truck myself, but you probably only drive the Cobra when it's nice out huh? Hmm... tough choices.

CO9B3RA

Established Member
I'm looking at the same "problem" but from a somewhat different angle. Being
single, I don't have the family----unless my 3 thomits decide otherwise----
however, I'm quite close to retirement and don't want to be car rich with the
gas price situation staring us in the wallet. (I'm really hoping the oil shale
situation in Ut., Co. and Wy. pans out as it's thought with the right extraction "tools", crude oil could be had for $30 (+/-) a barrel!) I bought
my Teal '93 with 33k miles for the fun.....but also for an investment. This
Cobra has 4 --FOUR!-- other stablemates: 64.5 K coupe, 66 A fb, 82 t-top'd
GT and an 86 SVO. All of them, even the SVO, have a thirst for fuel and my
retirement years won't solely revolve around the fuel pump tho I WILL NOT give up all my Mustangs.

In your situation, I think I would tough it out with the Cobra, get rid of the
truck and find something in the "rice grinder" field for the daily driver. I got a 2005 Hyundai Accent for that purpose: I ignored the razing I received!

Hope you do the best for yourself, whatever you decide.
:coolman:

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I'm kind of in the same situation....I reluctantly have my 93 cobra listed on ebay right now....I wanted something that I could drive and put miles on, and not worry about as much as a 32k mile 93 cobra, so I bought an 07GT....I really want to keep the 93 cobra, but I have too many other project cars, and minimal free time to work on them and use them....plus I am out of garage space....

the 93's and fox body cars in general are continuing to climb in value, and I know I will regret selling it later! :nonono:

maybe it wont make reserve and I'll hang onto it :idea:

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
NJ2000R said:
I'm kind of in the same situation....I reluctantly have my 93 cobra listed on ebay right now....I wanted something that I could drive and put miles on, and not worry about as much as a 32k mile 93 cobra, so I bought an 07GT....I really want to keep the 93 cobra, but I have too many other project cars, and minimal free time to work on them and use them....plus I am out of garage space....

the 93's and fox body cars in general are continuing to climb in value, and I know I will regret selling it later! :nonono:

maybe it wont make reserve and I'll hang onto it :idea:

I would keep the 93 and sell 95. The 94-95 cobras are are basiclly at their low points and you could replace it easier / cheaper.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
CO9B3RA said:
In your situation, I think I would tough it out with the Cobra, get rid of the
truck and find something in the "rice grinder" field for the daily driver. I got a 2005 Hyundai Accent for that purpose: I ignored the razing I received!

Hope you do the best for yourself, whatever you decide.
:coolman:

This was also my "knee-jerk" thought. Sell/trade the Lightning for a "grocery getter" that gets good mileage and hold on to the 93.

I bought my 88 GT back in 1998 in my 3rd year of college. I drove it until 2002 when I bought my 85 GT to drive daily while I modded the 88. As a typical Mustang owner both cars started getting treatment. The 85's ignition died in April of last year and I parked it. My wife and I bought a Tahoe to replace it. Even though it is a gas hog it gets better mileage than the 85 did and it is something that I don't mind parking in Wal-Mart parking lots. We're in a good place where all of the cars we own are paid for except the Tahoe and we've got less than two years left on it. We'll pay it off sooner than that. IMHO for some of us it is hard to drive a car everyday that has hard to find parts if/when something does happen to it AND argue with the insurance on the value (unless you've got a stated value on which negates it from being a daily driver). I've thought of getting another 99-04 GT and just wringing the hell out of it for a daily driver. The problem with that is it will become another "toy" to modify. So if you're like me, keep that in mind. :-D

Personally I'd keep the Cobra because it is a desirable car and get rid of the Lightning.

marco93cobra

Established Member
I would like to get rid of the lightning, but I cant do that. I like the Cobra, but the lightning was the first thing that I ever bought. My wife and I dated in the truck and everything, I have had it from day one and it has alot of memories in it, so therfore, I cant sell the lightning.
All the cars are paid for, so that is why i was thinking about getting rid of the Cobra, more in value and I can get a good dailt driver so that I can park the Gen I lightning and store. I can use it as a rodder, but it definatly wouldnt be the Cobra

I think that I am going to keep the Cobra right now, unless the right car/truck pops up that I am looking for, otherwise, I will keep it. (just bought another small truck for gas, got it really really cheap and isnt going to cost anything to drive, so well see)

Just need more garage space, cause the wife isnt going to like giving her spot up for the Lightning, I just need to build a shop to store cars.lol

PJM99

Established Member
Keep the car man! Sell the truck and get a civic or someother eco friendly daily drive

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Sell the bike and the L. Don't sell your Cobra. You will regret it, and you probably won't find anybody to give you what you want/what it is worth. Don't take a loss! You prolly couldn't replace it with another in the future. Well, you could, but not something up to the caliber of your car. Yours is unique to you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread