Keep the '15 5.0 or 392 charger scat pack

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If you could still swing an SS 37k I'd look into it. You can get manual or auto. But I think the Charger looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keystonemedical

Established Member
Ok I'll bite.. how is the 2nd gen CTS-V twice the car of a Scat Pack/SRT 392?

Compare the horsepower of the two cars. Obviously, the OP is concerned about that or he wouldnt be comparing the Ford to the Dodge. Then theres the fact that Dodge hasnt made a sexy Charger since 1970. Theres two reasons.

08mojo

Established Member
I saw a new scatpack charger on the road today. I have to say, it looked good. Huge step in the right direction compared to the older chargers.

Zodiac

Established Member
Compare the horsepower of the two cars. Obviously, the OP is concerned about that or he wouldnt be comparing the Ford to the Dodge. Then theres the fact that Dodge hasnt made a sexy Charger since 1970. Theres two reasons.

Horsepower doesn't mean everything. The 392 with the 8 speed is nearly as quick as a gen 2 V. It's a far better transmission. Also then you inject your opinion on the Charger which isn't relevant.

Either way OP keep us updated. Interested to see what you end up with.

keystonemedical

Established Member
Horsepower doesn't mean everything. The 392 with the 8 speed is nearly as quick as a gen 2 V. It's a far better transmission. Also then you inject your opinion on the Charger which isn't relevant.

Either way OP keep us updated. Interested to see what you end up with.

I would like to see the info you have verifying the 392 is " nearly " as quick as the V ? Also you seem to inject your opinion on the suspension as well. Do you have some sort of facts to back up suspension testing on the two ? The OP wanted opinions as to whether he should keep his current car or buy a Dodge. I pointed out there were better options than the Dodge, I agree with you, I would be interested in seeing what direction he goes.

Zodiac

Established Member
I would like to see the info you have verifying the 392 is " nearly " as quick as the V ? Also you seem to inject your opinion on the suspension as well. Do you have some sort of facts to back up suspension testing on the two ? The OP wanted opinions as to whether he should keep his current car or buy a Dodge. I pointed out there were better options than the Dodge, I agree with you, I would be interested in seeing what direction he goes.

What opinion on the suspension? Also look at any published time and fast list on forums (I know I just became a magazine racer, I hate myself).

0-60 and 1/4 mile times in low 4's to low to mid 12's are abound for both cars.

Either way not knocking the V2. It's a great car. Just don't think it's the end all be all that people make it to be.

nxhappy

Established Member
bottom line: OP has kids. A car is NOT the answer. Better off with a full size truck or SUV.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
2013 or 2014 CTSV... certified PO... still many available for ~$40-45k.

Or

If the Hellcat $599 lease deal is still available, that's a no brainer.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
My buddy brings his Scat Pack over, I'm a big fan!

20161022_154322_zpsvstmt2qu.jpg

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I'd steer clear of the gen2 CTS-V. Fit and finish is ok new, but the cheap ass interior/trim seem to fall apart after just a few years, door trim coming off and hanging down, plastics are hard and just feel cheap, it wouldn't have killed GM to put some soft touch surfaces in that car..may not bother some but it drives me nuts in a 'luxury' sedan. Seems to really be systemic for many vehicles in GM lineups, these are things I was willing to overlook in my numerous f-boats and Z06, but not in a Cadillac.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
What is more important to you...

Roomy interior - SP

Handling and braking - GT

Stock power - SP

Modding the SP will cost more than the GT.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I'd steer clear of the gen2 CTS-V. Fit and finish is ok new, but the cheap ass interior/trim seem to fall apart after just a few years, door trim coming off and hanging down, plastics are hard and just feel cheap, it wouldn't have killed GM to put some soft touch surfaces in that car..may not bother some but it drives me nuts in a 'luxury' sedan. Seems to really be systemic for many vehicles in GM lineups, these are things I was willing to overlook in my numerous f-boats and Z06, but not in a Cadillac.
GM pulled that shit with the ZR1 too, the "loaded" ones retailed for 120k. Wasn't 120k interior though.

byeofcr

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys!!

Ill admit the one i drove was real nice. 51k on the sticker though. It had all options and hellcat wheels and brakes. I know they wanna get you to love the fully loaded one. +1 on the exhaust note, stock for stock its no comparison, that 8sp trans was flawless.. it was fun to say the least.

Thats whats missing. Fun. Im 6'3. Cramped w/ the car seats, bearable but cramped.

Another plus (well not really) but wifey could* drive it. She leased her SUV aNd if miles come an issue she cant drive stick and doesnt wanna learn.

Im paying 499 a mo for my car. Its a 2015 leftover purchased in Oct. 0 down 0 interest 72mo. I got a killer deal. But ill still be negative equity theres no way theyll pay 29 for my car. I dont want to put a big down payment to get in the same ball park but wants and needs are two seperate things.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Agreed.

My buddy said my 335i felt more polished in some interior aspects over his 2nd gen CTS-V. Space as well, the V is a very small car for being a sedan. No comparison between the Charger and V in legroom and comfort for long family trips. Ill take the Charger as well. Would love to own a Hellcat Charger down the future.

Also agree with @nxhappy family SUV with young kids is much better suited IMO. Mine are 9 & 3 and the space is much better needed but then again, we also take our Great Dane out with us from time to time.

fitforspeed

Established Member
I have a 16 Charger Hellcat. I will say it is a blast to drive! Brakes, best I have ever had on a car. Acceleration, just keeps going. Handling, good considering size and weight. Straight line this car is in my opinion best thing currently going with a warranty, auto, back seat, and great looks! And by the way never thought I would buy a Chrysler vehicle, but the Hellcat changed my mind. Don't get me wrong, I still love my 03 Cobra but for family trips with two car seats I take the Charger.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
I have a 16 Charger Hellcat. I will say it is a blast to drive! Brakes, best I have ever had on a car. Acceleration, just keeps going. Handling, good considering size and weight. Straight line this car is in my opinion best thing currently going with a warranty, auto, back seat, and great looks! And by the way never thought I would buy a Chrysler vehicle, but the Hellcat changed my mind. Don't get me wrong, I still love my 03 Cobra but for family trips with two car seats I take the Charger.

Rear facing car seats? My wifes Subaru legacy is wicked tight and I kiss my knees when riding in it. Would love her to have somehing fun and better space and thinking of swapping the cobra for something fun with 4 doors.

fitforspeed

Established Member
On
Rear facing car seats? My wifes Subaru legacy is wicked tight and I kiss my knees when riding in it. Would love her to have somehing fun and better space and thinking of swapping the cobra for something fun with 4 doors.

One facing the rear on passenger side and front facing Recaro on the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread