Keeping car on jack stands for a week?

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
I'm going to be replacing the clutch in my '08 GT500 this weekend, and I'm sure I won't be done in one day, or even by tomorrow. I just bought the following jack and jack stands from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-60569.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-steel-jack-stands-61196.html (two pairs)

I have this picture to help point out where the proper jack spots are on my car:

http://themustangsource.com/forums/...14-what-jack-points-do-you-use-jackpoints.jpg

I'm thinking of jacking the car up at the low profile jack section of the picture. Do I need to use a 2x4 wooden plank to help lift, or is that unnecessary? What do you recommend?

Also, I plan on placing all four jack stands where the small green square is on all four corners of the car, where the notches are located. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Will this cause any damage to my car, especially if I plan to keep it up for at least a week?

Thanks!

Last edited:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Use 2x4's at the four spots on the diagram, they will disperse the load on the pinch weld. You will be ok leaving the car on the stands at those locations for as long as you like. Make sure the grain of the wood is not inline with the sheet metal, or the wood may split.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I can't speak for anything with an IRS, but on my 89, I just jack up the rear end and toss jack stands under each side of the 8.8 out towards the brakes. Then on the front I just jack up under the kmember, and put jack stands under the A-arms. I've had a car up like this for 6 months+ no problem.

2001sleeper

Established Member
I have harbor freight jack stands and they have handled everything I have thrown at them.

My mustang has been on them for at least 6 months and I have them placed under the axle and Kmember.

1slo5ohh

Established Member
My 95 sat on harbour freight Jack stands for almost 2 yrs...his pig will be fine.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Nothing wrong with some stuff from Harbour Freight - I think the 3 ton aluminium jack I have from there is actually very nice. I probably wouldn't buy a tool box or actual tools there, but for some things - I love that place.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Nothing wrong with some stuff from Harbour Freight - I think the 3 ton aluminium jack I have from there is actually very nice. I probably wouldn't buy a tool box or actual tools there, but for some things - I love that place.

This although I have bought some select tools though and have had nothing but good things to say about them.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
My GT500 sat on jack stands for 7 months a few years ago, I always put them under the rear axle and the frame rails right behind where the K member bolted up.

Rocket254

Established Member
OP, I've been throwing my stands under the axle tubes and the areas your picture indicates just outside of the bell housing. I can't recall where I read it, but I stopped using the ends of the k member after reading that the torque boxes can warp.

FWIW, I've been using the HF stands for years with no issue. Even bought the 6 ton rated ones last week for the extra height they provide.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
We have only used HF jack stands. They have held up many mustangs and other vehicles. Never had a problem. We usually buy the higher rated jack stands for the extra lift. We also buy floor jacks, and they hold up good, too. I don't think any of them broke. HF has a lot of good, reasonably priced stuff. They also have some junk that you use once and throw away, but for the most part it's pretty decent stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread