Keeps losing water

Phoenix0783

Established Member
On my '97 I can't seem to keep the water full. But, it never really gets that low. Just low enough for the light to come on. Probably a few inches down from the line where you fill it up. Never gets worryingly low. I haven't seen any leaks. I think it is running a little warm because of this.

Ideas? Bad cap?

cheaneyt

Established Member
Check the cap mine leaked on my 96 , also check where the tstat is on the lower hose . Mine isn't flush so it dribbles a lil bit . Fixing that friday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Phoenix0783

Established Member
Check the cap mine leaked on my 96 , also check where the tstat is on the lower hose . Mine isn't flush so it dribbles a lil bit . Fixing that friday

Where is the thermostat?

sweet smelling smoke from the tailpipes?
Not that I've noticed. I'm pretty sure it's not a head gasket or anything.

This, or at least a Cooling System Pressure Test.
Will do

cheaneyt

Established Member
Where is the thermostat?

Not that I've noticed. I'm pretty sure it's not a head gasket or anything.

Will do
Drivers side at the bott9m . It runs down off the coolant crossover tube. Follow that down and it's in the junction where the hoses meet to go into the oil cooler. Also check that could be the oil cooler gasket leaking .

Phoenix0783

Established Member
Drivers side at the bott9m . It runs down off the coolant crossover tube. Follow that down and it's in the junction where the hoses meet to go into the oil cooler. Also check that could be the oil cooler gasket leaking .

I replaced all the seals and gaskets on the oil filter adapter a couple years ago. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cheaneyt

Established Member
I replaced all the seals and gaskets on the oil filter adapter a couple years ago. I'll take a look. Thanks.

It is indeed an svt cobra correct?if it's a gt tstat is in the intake manifold.

cheaneyt

Established Member
Cobra, yes.

Then yep yep follow drivers side hose off the bottom of radiator to the housing . I'm putting 180° in mine at the same time. Already have sve 3 core aluminum radiator installed. Factory one was leaking , after installation saw that the cap was also leaking.

Phoenix0783

Established Member
Then yep yep follow drivers side hose off the bottom of radiator to the housing . I'm putting 180° in mine at the same time. Already have sve 3 core aluminum radiator installed. Factory one was leaking , after installation saw that the cap was also leaking.

What's factory temp? I've always been told you don't want to deviate too much.

NJCobra96

Established Member
Had the same issue last year......turned out the head gaskets in the early 4V 4.6's lifted up slightly.....didn't blow....just slightly lifted. Shop put in an additive that closed up the gaps....problem solved.....

collinselectric5

Established Member
Had the same issue last year......turned out the head gaskets in the early 4V 4.6's lifted up slightly.....didn't blow....just slightly lifted. Shop put in an additive that closed up the gaps....problem solved.....
Do u know what additive they put in?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

NJCobra96

Established Member
It comes directly from Ford.....It's added directly to the coolant....I had to drive the car like a daily for a week, to get the proper heating and cooling cycle consistent, so the additive would find and fill in the separations.

NJCobra96

Established Member
The guy that did it was a Ford Tech.....seen many, mostly on Lincoln LS's....same motor, just slightly detuned.....

Users who are viewing this thread