Kenne Bell Explorer Phase 2 Build!!!

rocket5979

Established Member
The update:

Ok, well I finally got off my rear and subscribed to Alldata to get my PCM & wiring harness wiring schematics. It was a pain in the arse but I got the Baumann TCS all wired up! This was a significant phase in this project (plan to drop engine back in after this) and I am glad it is done. Enough wiring involved where now that I have completed it I would not feel scared to install my own FAST engine management unit either.

I also got the new Mustang GT AC compressor on. Of course the wiring pigtail harness is not the same so I have a little wiring to do. Also the AC lines are not configured the same so I will need to cut, reconfigure and weld those to match my chassis before I attach the lines themselves.

I also completed the 8 rib front accessory swap and have the 8 rib serpentine belt on and routed.

I also forget if I mentioned this earlier or not but I also finished doing a total redesign and fabrication of the tranny shift linkage arm too. Should work really well and be slightly adjustable so I will be able to make sure that my tranny truly is in Park or drive and have my instrument panel actually show the same and also stay lined up well.

My thoughts on projects like this:

Now that I look back upon this project I will forewarn everyone that may want to do this in the future (doubtfull anyone would :lol: )......DON'T! There are waaaaaay too many very custom projects that I have had to do to make this happen. I counted them up the other day and I came up to about 7 full custom projects in their own right. Unless you know your stuff forwards and back do not even attempt something like this as it is not for the faint of heart. Don't get me wrong, it has been one hell of a fun project so far but unless your an expert in metal fabrication, electrical, A/C, vehicular mechanics, mechanical engineering & design and vehicle tuning then I don't suggest it. I firmly believe that not even a Master Tech could do something like this (I know a few MT's ;-) ).

Overall things are going well and I am REAL close to dropping the new engine assembly back in. The unfortunate thing is that, besides tomorrow, I won't even be able to work on my truck for one month. Between my wedding & honeymoon and then an impending 2 week business trip to Maine I will not be able to resume work and drop the engine in till early November. Looks like I will have to wait till next year to put down an 11 second ET. Oh well, in this type of project patience truly is a virtue.

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
xhailofgunfirex said:
yah they dont work for me either, host em on photobucket, looks like you are trying to show the attachments on explorer forum.

I linked them instead of trying to post them as images. For some reason SVTP doesn't like any pictures from other forums and also doesn't like putfile either! Hell, I don't even have a photobucket account! :shrug:

rocket5979

Established Member
I got the custom A/C done now.

I also modified my tranny shifter linkage. Fairly custom project in it own right. I had to make custom brackets to mount my TRS (tranny range sensor) upside down and then remount my actual linkage arm. I got to use my new welder and maching a few more parts for it so it was fun. I am glad to have figured this way out because I had large concerns with the original way I had things mounted that the linkage cable would have to bend at an odd angle. Now I got that all fixed and good to go. Relatively smallish project when compared to everything else, but it is a relief to know I won't have to worry about that once everything is back in.

Going to install my 30 in HG and 30 psi boost gauge today.

Also waiting for FEDEX to drop my ARP flexplate bolts off so I can bolt it up and bolt my TC to it and then bolt the tranny and engine together.

UPS will also be stopping by today and dropping my GI Joe Gripper plate off today as well. It will relocate my supercharger idler pulley to give me more belt wrap around my tiny snout pulley I have on the Kenne Bell 2.2. I could have fabbed this myself easily enough, but I didn't feel like messing with it because I knew what they would send me is a quality product that looks real nice too and wasn't too expensive. This coupled with my 8 rib front serpentine swap that I already did will almost eliminate belt slip while even running 20+ psi boost! I will have an instant 20 psi right when I hit the gas off idle and it won't drop off till I hit my shift point.

I do admit that I have been taking my sweet time on this project as of late. I figure that since the racing season is over there is no real rush now. I do want to finish this up so I can run my nitrous in the LS again though. I promised myself that I would not run it (often :rockon: ) when the Explorer is torn apart just in case something happened.

Cal

Established Member
Dude your X is sweet. I friend of mine had an older explorer (5.0) with a KB on it and awd. Went bottom 13's if I remember right. Looks sweet man. Can't wait to see the finished product.

ford_racer said:
His sig says the goal is officially 600 WHP. I'm not able to view the video (I have a Chevy connection, 56k) so perhaps I'm missing something.

And I've always heard Parish's truck is AWD, but perhaps I'm wrong their as well.

No, he is AWD. About a 1000 hp. He actually switched to twin turbos recently. That's one bad truck. Looks practically stock too lol.

http://turbotruck.toolbarnracing.com/wheresparishas.wmv
http://www.1320video2.com/vids/lfest4.wmv
That last one is Parish at Lightning fest 4 going for the 9's.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
VERY nice....:thumbsup:

I had a '91 Explorer I was gonna dump a 302 in, drop it a few inches and put some '95 Rs on. Decided to buy the Cobra instead. I'd still like to pick up an old Explorer and live out that dream. :-D

JD_Z28

Established Member
You Explorer is nice...It must be cool to be able to go on the road in the family wagon and smoke those ricers :lol:

rocket5979

Established Member
JD_Z28 said:
You Explorer is nice...It must be cool to be able to go on the road in the family wagon and smoke those ricers :lol:

Thanks, it smoked much more than just the ricers back then. ;-) Soon enough it will be putting down some pretty serious numbers.

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
Well I hit another slight glitch late last night. I found out that my stocker Explorer starter would not work with my new 8 bolt flexplate due to my older 6 bolt one having a deeper dish in it which required my stocker starter snout to be a tad long than needed. I kind of figured I would run into this problem when I tore the engine down and looked at some things. Anyways. I got a new starter for a 2003 Mach 1 that is made for the 8 bolt flywheel and also mates with the 4R70W tranny as well and installed that real quick today. I could have taken a shortcut by shimming my stocker starter away from the tranny bellhousing but I wanted as much positive engagement between the bellhousing and starter as possible.

I also installed the Gripper Plate yesterday too. I went with a Gates 122.75" 8 rib belt to make things all good to go with my newfound belt wrap thanks to the gripper plate.

I also bolted the flexplate and tranny and everything up last night too. It is a HEAVY Mother but as long as things don't get too tight it should all slide in the engine bay and drop down to mount fairly quickly.

I ran all my vacuum and boost and intercooler lines tonight too. They are all already attached to the engine so I don't have to mess around with sitting in my engine bay on top of the motor fiddling around in tight spaces trying to tighten hose clamps. That sucked ass having to do that crap the first time I installed the Kenne Bell earlier this year.

I also installed my boost gauge and ran the pressure line out to the Y I put in the boost line right before my A-1000 FPR. It will not be fun to have to wire the light for it up because of my underdash being such a tight area!

If the weather is decent tomorrow I am thinking of dropping the engine and tranny assembly in tomorrow. Unfortunately they are calling for rain tomorrow. :cuss:

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
Gdubb said:
damn this is bad ass! what wheels are those?

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. It is a PITA project at times, but then again most one-off sleepers are.

The rims are Boss # 306 20x8.5 rims.

rocket5979

Established Member
Well I finally dropped the engine/tranny and supercharger back in all in one shot today. I was planning to do it last night but I found out last minute that I had to modify the motor mounts. I had to drill one bolt hole in the driver side and I had to weld a bigger mounting tab on the passenger side to be able to have the boss on the block engage it too. It took me 4.5 hours to get it in all by myself. God was it a TIGHT fit with the entire assembly already together. It was so tight that I had to take my crank damper back off just to squeeze the engine in. Zero room to spare doing it this way, but it saved me time and hassle in the end. After I got the engine in my buddy Jim finally showed up (good timing :alcoholic ) and we pushed the truck back in the garage and redressed the front accessories I had to take off. I wasn't too motivated after that so tomorrow I will hit it hard with the daylight and warm weather and continue to reinstall the front end along with all the other odds and ends over the next few days.

Well here is a few pics of the engine going in. I like this new digital camera my wife and I got.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread