Kenne Bell on a 97 Cobra

Rio_Cobra

Established Member
I am mulling over the idea of installing a Kenne Bell on my 97 Cobra.
This is a weekend street cruiser that never sees any track.

Yes, I understand that there is probably better power to be had with a centrifugal or turbo, but this is not the route I want to go.

My questions for those that have this set up already installed on a 96-98 cobra:
  1. I’m guessing that with the BAP I don’t need a bigger fuel pump?
  2. KB mentions the BAP is available either splice or plug n play, which one?
  3. Stock, the 97 Cobra has 24lb injectors, should I install bigger? What size if so?
  4. Is the stock MAF ok?
  5. The car currently has new last year stock Motorcraft plugs, are these ok?
  6. The 97 air intake has a big dent in it for the strut brace, what cold air intake did you use?
  7. Has anyone modified the strut brace to accommodate the SC?
  8. What rear gears is everyone running? Currently have 4.56’s installed.
  9. KB website says it comes with a chip, will the car need a tune afterwards?
I will also be doing the head cooling mod at the same time.
Are there any other things that I may be missing?
Did you have to change anything additional up that perhaps is not mentioned on their page or instructions?

01yellercobra

Established Member
  1. BAP is a band aid IMO. If you're going to do it, do it right. Upgrade the pump as needed. Depending on your power level a 255 or 340 will probably be enough.
  2. Neither
  3. Yep. 42's are pretty common. But it depends on the power goal in the end. A lot of people run 60's as well.
  4. Probably not. You might get away with a MAFia, but I would prefer running a larger MAF. Maybe the Lightning or Cobra MAF will be enough. Once again it depends on the power goals.
  5. You'll probably want to step down a heat range.
  6. Sorry, I don't know. But doesn't the KB have it's own intake set up?
  7. N/A
  8. I would plan on stepping down. You'll probably be a spin fest with the low end torque and those gears.
  9. If you run their chip you won't need a tune. However, their tune is probably generic and on the safe side. I would look into a tune for your car after the blower is installed.

Last edited:

MackDombles

Established Member

Yes, I understand that there is probably better power to be had with a centrifugal or turbo, but this is not the route I want to go.

My questions for those that have this set up already installed on a 96-98 cobra:
  3. Stock, the 97 Cobra has 24lb injectors, should I install bigger? What size if so?
  4. Is the stock MAF ok?
  6. The 97 air intake has a big dent in it for the strut brace, what cold air intake did you use?
Did you have to change anything additional up that perhaps is not mentioned on their page or instructions?
I do not drive the same car as you, but Ill throw my opinion in.

1. Depending on boost level. But probably should run a bigger pump. I have a bap and bigger dual pumps.
2. Depending on your wiring abilities.
I chose splice cause I'm good wit them wires. If you aren't confident I wiring a relay, get the plug and play.
3. Again depending on boost level at probably a minimum of 39 lb for even low boost. I would do at least 60s if it were mine.
4. Again boost level will determine bit at very least an oem lightning maf or 03 04 terminator maf.
5. Do a step colder and gap at 30
6. Jtl
7. I didn't but I have a different car
8. Auto or manual? For auto it's to low for my liking. For manual it's a farm truck in 1st. If you can hook with 4.56s you would be neck snapping. I have a manual, 4.10s, and 285s and might as well not have 1st or second gear at wot.
9. Depending on supporting mods but I've never seen a plug and play blower kit that had the tune spot on

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MackDombles

Established Member

4. Is the stock MAF ok?
I do not drive the same car as you, but Ill throw my opinion in.

1. Depending on boost level. But probably should run a bigger pump. I have a bap and bigger dual pumps.
2. Depending on your wiring abilities.
I chose splice cause I'm good wit them wires. If you aren't confident I wiring a relay, get the plug and play.
3. Again depending on boost level at probably a minimum of 39 lb for even low boost. I would do at least 60s if it were mine.
4. Again boost level will determine bit at very least an oem lightning maf or 03 04 terminator maf.
5. Do a step colder and gap at 30
6. Jtl
7. I didn't but I have a different car
8. Auto or manual? For auto it's to low for my liking. For manual it's a farm truck in 1st. If you can hook with 4.56s you would be neck snapping. I have a manual, 4.10s, and 285s and might as well not have 1st or second gear at wot.
9. Depending on supporting mods but I've never seen a plug and play blower kit that had the tune spot on

MackDombles

Established Member
  1. BAP is a band aid IMO. If you're going to do it, do it right. Upgrade the pump as needed. Depending on your power level a 255 or 340 will probably be enough.
  2. Neither
  3. Yep. 42's are pretty common. But it depends on the power goal in the end. A lot of people run 60's as well.
  4. Probably not. You might get away with a MAFia, but I would prefer running a larger MAF. Maybe the Lightning or Cobra MAF will be enough. Once again it depends on the power goals.
  5. You'll probably want to step down a heat range.
  6. Sorry, I don't know. But doesn't the KB have it's own intake set up?
  7. N/A
  8. I would plan on stepping down. You'll probably be a spin fest with the low end torque and those gears.
  9. If you run their chip you won't need a tune. However, their tune is probably generic and on the safe side. I would look into a tune for your car after the blower is installed.
Shoot I should have just read your reply

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I do not have the set-up you are considering, however:

-I would not use a BAP. Upgrade the fuel pump to a 255lph unit and add an inline 255lph pump.
-Upgrade the injectors to 60 lb/hr, this will provide more headroom over 42's.
-Switching to an SCT slot style MAF will aid in tuning.
-As for inlet tubing, you want to match the MAF size. Also, going to a larger TB will help the blower breathe air in better.
-A 3.55 is a great all-around gear, especially for a more street oriented car
-I would get a custom tune. Every car is different. The KB tune is for a completely stock car and a compromise.

-A better clutch should be considered, if it is stock.
-add a fuel pressure gauge and an adj. FPR
-NGK TR6 plugs

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I’ve been running a kb for quite a few years and never had any trouble. Biggest issue with these set ups is the lack of an inter cooler so they heat soak. I would definitely recommend relocating the iat sensor below the blower so it pulls timing when it’s hot. I would also recommend a 255 lph and 42 lb injectors over the boost a pump. Here’s my set up:

imrc deletes
42 lb injectors
255 lph fuel pump
180 thermostat and fans set at 185
Accufab throttle body
SCT chip (custom tune)
Lightning IAT relocated after the blower
NGK TR6 4177 plugs
6 lbs pulley

Most everyone on here will tell you a cold air intake won’t make anymore power than the stock air intake with a drop in k&n filter. I’m running a c&l but it’s just preference. The strut tower brace won’t fit without modifying the brace with a bend to go around the front of the blower snout and pulley. I’m not running one. Kenne Bell recommends cutting a hole in the bottom side of the hood for clearance of the throttle cable bracket. I didn’t use the bracket and was able to mount my cable flush against the blower intake so I didn’t have to cut my hood. hope this info helps you.

Last edited:

Rio_Cobra

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your help.
I think I need to phone KB and see if I can remove the BAP and chip from the package and I will get the car on a dyno for tuning.
I like the idea of upgrading the fuel pump and injectors.
For the fuel pump, I was looking at the Quantum 340LPH.
42lb injectors sounds like they will work, 60's might be too much, as I doubt I will be adding any more HP to the car.
I will look for a different MAF, either the Lightning, or 03/04 Cobra

I do see on their website that they mention a cold air intake, but I don't see it listed as a part to purchase.

Thanks for the heads up on cutting the hood, this is something that I would prefer to avoid.

Rio_Cobra

Established Member
I’ve been running a kb for quite a few years and never had any trouble. Biggest issue with these set ups is the lack of an inter cooler so they heat soak. I would definitely recommend relocating the iat sensor below the blower so it pulls timing when it’s hot. I would also recommend a 255 lph and 42 lb injectors over the boost a pump. Here’s my set up:

imrc deletes
42 lb injectors
255 lph fuel pump
180 thermostat and fans set at 185
Accufab throttle body
SCT chip (custom tune)
Lightning IAT relocated after the blower
NGK TR6 4177 plugs
6 lbs pulley

Most everyone on here will tell you a cold air intake won’t make anymore power than the stock air intake with a drop in k&n filter. I’m running a c&l but it’s just preference. The strut tower brace won’t fit without modifying the brace with a bend to go around the front of the blower snout and pulley. I’m not running one. Kenne Bell recommends cutting a hole in the bottom side of the hood for clearance of the throttle cable bracket. I didn’t use the bracket and was able to mount my cable flush against the blower intake so I didn’t have to cut my hood. hope this info helps you.

Thanks Lzr96Snake
Any chance you have some pics of your set up?
Specifically the IAT sensor and the throttle cable?
I don't see any options to send a PM, I could send you my email address.
I also see in your sig that you're running a 80mm MAF, is this correct?

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
Thanks Lzr96Snake
Any chance you have some pics of your set up?
Specifically the IAT sensor and the throttle cable?
I don't see any options to send a PM, I could send you my email address.
I also see in your sig that you're running a 80mm MAF, is this correct?

Yeah I’m running a Pro-M 80mm MAF. Guy that dyno tuned my car recommended it. Not sure if it was necessary.

I’ve got the IAT sensor mounted to the back side of the lower plenum right under the blower. I’ll look tonight and see if I can see enough of it to get you a picture. I’ll take a picture of the throttle cable too.

Rio_Cobra

Established Member
Yeah I’m running a Pro-M 80mm MAF. Guy that dyno tuned my car recommended it. Not sure if it was necessary.

Isn't stock MAF 80mm?

I’ve got the IAT sensor mounted to the back side of the lower plenum right under the blower. I’ll look tonight and see if I can see enough of it to get you a picture. I’ll take a picture of the throttle cable too.

Much appreciated!

Rio_Cobra

Established Member
I read that the 03/04 cobra MAF has the IAT sensor built into it. Will this be an issue? Is this MAF the same as the Lightning and will just plug in?

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I read that the 03/04 cobra MAF has the IAT sensor built into it. Will this be an issue? Is this MAF the same as the Lightning and will just plug in?

I believe the lightning MAF is 90mm. I’m not sure about the 03-04 Cobra MAF, but on our cars from the factory the IAT is mounted in the air intake between the MAF and the throttle body. The problem with that is it’s not accurately reading the air temp coming out of the blower so when the blower gets hot it won’t know to pull enough timing out.

I don’t know if you a member on SN95 Forums but there’s an old build thread on there that’s very detailed on the entire install. I think it was called Greg’s 1.5 Kenne Bell Install or something like that. I followed that thread pretty close when I installed mine and messaged him several times for info. Might be worth checking out.

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I couldn’t get a picture of the IAT but here’s my throttle cable set up. Basically just fastened to a vacuum line coming off of the intake with a cable tie.

cbd24e62d7d9af766494d254d90bdddf.jpg

6673a753b4b0a591e0e78231a9328f13.jpg

8c0a4dd42fea98344c17d9313e8f809a.jpg

Rio_Cobra

Established Member
I believe the lightning MAF is 90mm. I’m not sure about the 03-04 Cobra MAF, but on our cars from the factory the IAT is mounted in the air intake between the MAF and the throttle body. The problem with that is it’s not accurately reading the air temp coming out of the blower so when the blower gets hot it won’t know to pull enough timing out.

I don’t know if you a member on SN95 Forums but there’s an old build thread on there that’s very detailed on the entire install. I think it was called Greg’s 1.5 Kenne Bell Install or something like that. I followed that thread pretty close when I installed mine and messaged him several times for info. Might be worth checking out.

The 03/04 Cobra is also 90mm, but if the IAT will cause issues, then i will just get a lightning MAF.
I will join SN95 Forums and have a look for this thread, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread