Kenne Bell owners please chime in

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm seriously thinking about getting a Kenne Bell Blower for my '03 cobra. I know this subject has been beaten to death but I would just like some input here to my questions cause it would really help me make up my mind. Thanks so much.

1. Has there been any problems with anything since you installed it because you are making way more HP, sometimes 200+, than the factory rating? Also how many miles have you had the KB on your car?

2. What is the best PSI to run if you live near Cleveland like me and have 93 and sometimes 94 octane gas available?

3 Also if I get the kit, ie KB blower, KB chip, KB Boost a pump, is there anything else I will need to buy on the side? Are larger injectors needed if I use the Boost a pump, or a new MAF?

4. Did you go with the KB chip or get a Diablo or Autologic custom tuned with your KB? What would you recomend? And does KB custom tune their chips or are they just generic?

5. Did all of you need to upgrade your clutch then since you are making some crazy HP and TQ numbers?

6. Is first gear useless now :) how hard is it to get traction. ( not that this is a bad thing) I have 315/35 Nittos on my stock rims but is it worth getting like the 10.5 inch AFS wheels for my rears with my Nittos instead of the stock 9 in wheels?

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by bradz2125
I'm seriously thinking about getting a Kenne Bell Blower for my '03 cobra. I know this subject has been beaten to death but I would just like some input here to my questions cause it would really help me make up my mind. Thanks so much.

1. Has there been any problems with anything since you installed it because you are making way more HP, sometimes 200+, than the factory rating? Also how many miles have you had the KB on your car?
No problems yet but only a couple hundred miles since install.

2. What is the best PSI to run if you live near Cleveland like me and have 93 and sometimes 94 octane gas available?
You can likely run 17psi with no problem, perhaps 19 if you have it fine tuned.

3 Also if I get the kit, ie KB blower, KB chip, KB Boost a pump, is there anything else I will need to buy on the side? Are larger injectors needed if I use the Boost a pump, or a new MAF?
You should be able to run 17psi on stock injectors, stock maf etc. You will have to decide if you want the big oval TB or not because the KB has to be ordered for the TB you choose to use and they are not interchangable. Keep in mind though to put injectors in this things after the KB install requires the KB be removed.

4. Did you go with the KB chip or get a Diablo or Autologic custom tuned with your KB? What would you recomend? And does KB custom tune their chips or are they just generic?
I went with a chip from the guy I got my KB from. Ideally I would say get a chip from a reputable tuner thats local if possible but make sure he knows what he is doing the 02's with the KB have some specific requirements that has many tuners stumped.

5. Did all of you need to upgrade your clutch then since you are making some crazy HP and TQ numbers?
With the power potential of the KB, if you run DR's that stick it to the ground, an unpgraded clutch and pushing more ponies, something is going to have to give and it will likely be your input shaft or half shafts. Many guys opt to stay with a stock clucth so there is some slippage so it will be easier on the rest of the driveline.

6. Is first gear useless now :) how hard is it to get traction. ( not that this is a bad thing) I have 315/35 Nittos on my stock rims but is it worth getting like the 10.5 inch AFS wheels for my rears with my Nittos instead of the stock 9 in wheels?
Due to issues with my tune I had to pull my 17psi pulley off and goto the stock KB 9psi pulley(456rwhp SAE) which for me is working OK with no chip. Its a definate improvement in power but very streetable and im still on stock F1's. 17psi may be a whole other story though but I wont know until I get my chip back.

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Shadowgrey03,

Thanks for the helpful input, I really appreciate it. Everyone else with a KB please chime in also.

So are you using the Boost-A-Pump that came with the kit? If so do you know what you have it set at out of curiosity? Did you do the install yourself or a local performance shop?

Grover03

Established Member
Get ahold of me Brad. I'm only about 45min. from you. Go for a ride, then decide.

Grover

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Shadowgrey03,

Thanks for the helpful input, I really appreciate it. Everyone else with a KB please chime in also.

So are you using the Boost-A-Pump that came with the kit? If so do you know what you have it set at out of curiosity? Did you do the install yourself or a local performance shop?
I have the BAP installed but currently set to 0% since I dont have a chip installed due to issues with my tune. Im sure I will need it unless, but may look for an alternative if its glitchy. The directions have a chart for where to set it based on PSI your running, for 17psi they recomend 40% (dial goes to 50%). A friend of mine did most of the install, I just did some of the piddly stuff like boost-a-pump, pulley, etc when I got off work.

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member

None whatsoever. Approaching 2,000 miles.

I'm running 19psi on 94 octane..17psi is probably ideal however and most recommended.

Only larger injectors..KB has taken the steps to include everything else to run on pump gas..if u plan on running 21psi or more recommended injectors would be 55lb.

Diablosport custom tune. You do not need their chip. I recommend a reputable tuner. Amazon Racing is an authorized vendor and has had many satisfied customers. JDM as well. Nitrous Pete, etc.

Nope..but adding a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster wouldn't hurt.

haha..no..it's just a streetable as when it was stock. HotRodHarry has run 11s easy with the wheel setup u mentioned.

Good luck :beer:

Last edited:

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Re: Re: Kenne Bell owners please chime in

Thanks for the info Xplicit, I really appreciate it. Its pretty much set in my mind now to get a Kenne Bell. Although probably wont happen till next summer due to funds at this time :) I would also like to have my car paid off too.

Originally posted by Xplicit
[I'm running 19psi on 94 octane..17psi is probably ideal however and most recommended.

......if u plan on running 21psi or more recommended injectors would be 55lb.[/B]

One more question though. If I got the 17 psi pulley and didnt go any higher in PSI are larger injectors absolutely necessary or could I get by with my stock injectors for 17 PSI? Let me know, thanks.

Brad --- Soon to be Kenne Bell owner

lethal

Established Member
Brad-

As soon as I pay my car off (yes, I'll be doing it early) and I hit 30K miles, the KB is going on. Plan so far is to keep everything stock and run the KB kit with a 17lb pulley. The car payment will be replaced by creidt card payments when I purchase the KB kit and gauges, etc toy I need for the little project.

John

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Kenne Bell owners please chime in

Thanks for the info Xplicit, I really appreciate it. Its pretty much set in my mind now to get a Kenne Bell. Although probably wont happen till next summer due to funds at this time :) I would also like to have my car paid off too.

[I'm running 19psi on 94 octane..17psi is probably ideal however and most recommended.

......if u plan on running 21psi or more recommended injectors would be 55lb.
One more question though. If I got the 17 psi pulley and didnt go any higher in PSI are larger injectors absolutely necessary or could I get by with my stock injectors for 17 PSI? Let me know, thanks.

Brad --- Soon to be Kenne Bell owner [/B]
Brad u can stay with your stock injectors at 17psi. But considering u can max this blower out at 30psi..r u sure you're going to run your boost at 17psi for the entire time u own the car? If u invest in a flip chip u can run a street tune and a race tune. One setup for 17psi and the other for 21psi. Once the modding starts it's very diffcult to stay content with the level you've decided upon. Even at over 650rwhp these cars drive just as easy as when they were stock.

coleman

Established Member
well, told my wife about the KB and she didn't swear ... so, it's a done deal! :lol1:

now, to make sure everything's lined up for installation and such ... happy birthday & father's day to me :thumbsup:

Last edited:

lethal

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Kenne Bell owners please chime in

Even at over 650rwhp these cars drive just as easy as when they were stock.

-foams at the mouth-

Oooooh. I can't stop it..... my hand.... it keeps trying to dial the phone and order the blower..... must resist.... muuuust.... reeeeesiiiist....

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kenne Bell owners please chime in

Originally posted by lethal
-foams at the mouth-

Oooooh. I can't stop it..... my hand.... it keeps trying to dial the phone and order the blower..... must resist.... muuuust.... reeeeesiiiist....
*dials the number for u* ;-)

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Looking forward to the install in about two weeks. I was wondering, when following the instructions from KB, did you guys run across any issues, provide any details that may help install.....

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
What happens to the Ford intercooler, is it still functional? I've read that the KB doesn't need one. I like the idea of an intercooler and would like to keep it.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Depends on where you buy from and what Accessories you get. I would think the cheapest may be straight from KB. but the wait may be longer......

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I want to see some real numbers (pricing). I am considering going with a polished KB.

3700 gets you (add 500 for polished) ..

Kenne Bell Blowzilla 2200 Supercharger
FLOWZILLA inlet manifold
Kenne Bell SWITCH CHIP
30 amp BOOST-A-PUMP
Tuning Instructions and Dyno Tests for all pulley sizes.

69 for each additional pulley.

I already have an accufab tb.

What else are we talking here? Is there better pricing from KB dealers?

Found this on http://www.need-4-speed.com/kennebell.htm

TS100003CS 2003 4V Mustang 6-20 PSI Upgrade Kit-Satin $3699.99
TS100003CP 2003 4V Mustang 6-20 PSI Upgrade Kit-Polished $3999.99

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by EatonEggbeater
What happens to the Ford intercooler, is it still functional? I've read that the KB doesn't need one. I like the idea of an intercooler and would like to keep it.

the intercooler isn't removed and remains functional....I think any type of forced-induction can benefit from a cooler intake charge

Users who are viewing this thread