Kenne Bell Question

StickyFinga

Established Member
I am going to be purchasing the Kenne Bell in a few days...Yes I succombed to the pressure. I was wondering of the people who have these kits did anyone purchase the accessories? Are they worth buying? This is what I am talking about:

-Cobra Cool Air Kit

-"Big Oval" Throttle Body

-Cobra FUEL / CHIP / BOOST VALVE Upgrade system

Thanks for the input.

Fang

Established Member
I wish I could tell you. That is still a dream for me but congrats to you. That is the ultimate mod for all of us. :beer:

StickyFinga

Established Member
Yeah...looks like no one is online yet huh?

Well work is getting off now, at least in California. Hope I can get some answers on this one. I would like to have this done next week.

davidmax

Established Member
Most folks that dont own the KB S.C. buy the accesories so they must be great.We use there boost a pump in my shop often and the quality is superb.You will have FAST happy mororind either way,but when components are sold by the same engineering co. they usually are designed to work in harmony together.
I went with the "F" series ATI instead,I wanted a centrifigal with air to air I.C.to insure what I believe to be the most efficient for those of us driving over 2500 rpm most of the time.The KB being positive discplacement will add more heat not nearly as bad as pushing a Eaton to its limits.
We finished a KB install with a 99' style return fuel line as well as all the accesories and after we backed it down we got almost 595 at the wheels,and thats at 9.2:1 CR. and some SHM cams and heads,we also ran a SHM crank,Manley rods and the heads are all SHM parts ,we just assembled the short block and bolted on a nuke proof 9C-4/C-6 I forget) and with 0 warranty it runs wild.
we didnt do the nitrous as he kept upping HP requirments daily.So he will add another 80 ponnies with a 100 dry shot.
Good luck with the KB and if you ever consider the ATI let us know we can help.Dave S.

Lomancobra

Established Member
From what I understand the boosta pump is worth the money, tell them to keep the chip and get a diablo instead (saves some money), but ask for the single blade inlet and big TB. If theres ever a time to change the TB its now. Personally I don't really like their intake design. I currently have the UPR, but when the KB comes in I think im going for the steeda or Amazon racing. However, some people say their CAI is a good product. And order one of those "get screwed" tshirts off of their website. I'm sporting mine tonight. Good luck :beer:

AMB

Established Member
KB Question

I have a KB on my 03 Cobra. I got the TB and the Cold Air Kit. The Boost-A-Pump and the REQUIRED Chip comes in the kit. NOTE: The Boost-A-Pump will not work without it.

AMB

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Re: KB Question

Originally posted by AMB
I have a KB on my 03 Cobra. I got the TB and the Cold Air Kit. The Boost-A-Pump and the REQUIRED Chip comes in the kit. NOTE: The Boost-A-Pump will not work without it.

AMB
I have been contiplating the comments that the boost-a-pump wont work unless you use a KB chip and my understanding is that there are a couple shops (PJ's being one) that DOES have a delta chip that will work in conjunction with the KB boost-a-pump.

Now, if you just called any joe tuner up and requested a chip there is a good chance it wouldnt work right. Pete has worked directly with Diablo on getting his tunes working with his KB setup and the KB boost-a-pump.

j card

Established Member
Although I don't have the KB Blower, I bought the KB Cool Air Kit as my first mod. I liked the idea of getting the air intake as far away from engine heat as possible - compared to other kits that draw from under the hood. I would best describe it as "function over flash". It's not as pretty to look at as some of the others, but I like the theory behind it. It's also cheaper than most of the others as well.

John

mike5876

Established Member
my car was tuned at diablo's own dyno and they COULDNT get the boost a pump to make fuel pressure...so i dont think any tuner that sells their chip is gonna have any better luck! i had to go to a custom calibrated 92mm mass air from pro m to get my tune right

StickyFinga

Established Member
Thanks for your input guys it is much appreciated.

I will have to decide whether or not to go with Kenne Bell's chip apparently. I live only about 200 miles from So Cal Diablo...in California terms that is nothing...So I wonder if Kenne Bell's chip is the way to go or Diablo's.

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by mike5876
my car was tuned at diablo's own dyno and they COULDNT get the boost a pump to make fuel pressure...so i dont think any tuner that sells their chip is gonna have any better luck! i had to go to a custom calibrated 92mm mass air from pro m to get my tune right
Well, talk to pete at PJ's, he claims his tunes work with the boost-a-pump and if im not mistaken he is using the boost-a-pump himself. mike5876, how long ago did you work on this issue? As for going with a 92mm MAF, i simply dont understand how that will help is more fuel is whats needed? If the 92mm MAF is custom calibrated to tell the EEC something so it supplies more fuel then the data in the tune should also be able to be tweaked to allow for more fuel. KB can do it so I dont see why other tuners cant as well. Even on the Mag where the did the KB install it took KB quite some time to get the A/F worked out and find the right segment in memory to alter so my guess is that early attempts by tuners with a KB blower and non KB chip the tuners just didnt spend the time to tweak the code.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Lomancobra
My tuner has done the install already, and he knows what hes doing. He told me it would be better to go with the diablo chip. I trust his work.
Can you elaborate more on what you went with? Did you stick with stock injectors? What PSI on KB? Are you using the KB Boost-a-pump?

mike5876

Established Member
tuned the car last week....92 mm mass air was calibrated for 55lb injectors...then the chip was tuned to add more fuel from about 5k rpm up..without the bigger mass air..the a/f curve wanted to go lean indicating that the stock meter was pegged...kb in the magazine said that wasnt an issue but it was with my car

walker887

Established Member
Just to let you all know. The kits I sell are minus the chip unless the customer wants it.
I will do a custom tune or a Diablo for them. 55 lbers are recommended and I am actually going to experiment with the shop car and the Afterburner E-fpc instead of the BAP
DOn

Lomancobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Can you elaborate more on what you went with? Did you stick with stock injectors? What PSI on KB? Are you using the KB Boost-a-pump?

Getting bigger injectors. I believe they are the 55lb. high Impedence siemen decas. Will be running about 15 or 16lbs of boost on pump gas, and using the diablo delta chip with the boost a pump.

Users who are viewing this thread