kenne bell?

Stupercharged

Established Member
hey guys, im looking at buying a lightning and i know it has intake, exhaust, jlp plenum, and a pulley, but the pulley is solid like a kenne bell pulley (i.e. doesnt look like the idlers with spaces in them) and the blower says kenne bell by autopower and not ford and svt, but it looks almost exactly like the stock eaton. i own an 04 cobra and have never seen this blower on a cobra so im wondering if it is really a kenne bell or not? if it is, is there a way to tell which one it is, like 2.2, 2.4, etc? thanks for the help.

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
Yes the Kenne Bell 2.3 looks very similar to the Eaton except it has a tad wider case and a shorter snout not too mention a more natural looking finish (not painted gray like the Eatons). Also the pulley will have a good size bolt holding it on and a little hole on either side of that bolt for the pulley tool to insert. The newer models have a hole in the center of the bolt as a vent and the older 2.3s have a plug in the snout for a vent. The JLP plenums are bad ass for the KBs and becoming harder to find. Oh and yes it will say "Kenne Bell by Autorotor" on the case

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes the Kenne Bell 2.3 looks very similar to the Eaton except it has a tad wider case and a shorter snout not too mention a more natural looking finish (not painted gray like the Eatons). Also the pulley will have a good size bolt holding it on and a little hole on either side of that bolt for the pulley tool to insert. The newer models have a hole in the center of the bolt as a vent and the older 2.3s have a plug in the snout for a vent. The JLP plenums are bad ass for the KBs and becoming harder to find. Oh and yes it will say "Kenne Bell by Autorotor" on the case

Bingo:beer:

MJG

Established Member
Who deals the KB besides JLP?
I am looking at a local Performance shop and the part# says 2.6, but its much cheaper than JLP sells, and here in canada everything typically costs more :shrug:

Stupercharged

Established Member
if someone can show me how to post pics i will. if not if anyone has a 2.3 to post up so i can compare and let you know if thats the one that would be great as well!! considering it says kenne bell by autopower im assuming its the 2.3 as someone stated above? o and is the one that looks like the stock eaton an older kenne bell? all ive seen is the black or polished billet ones?

Last edited:

Stupercharged

Established Member
thanks guys for the help im going to look at it soon. how much can the stock block handle? are the internals forged like the 04 cobra?

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
most people say 450/500 but obviously people have made higher numbers on the stock block. Just a matter of how long it will last at that point.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
thanks guys for the help im going to look at it soon. how much can the stock block handle? are the internals forged like the 04 cobra?

The short block is not built like an 04 Cobra. The rods in an L will snap like a twig if something goes wrong with too much power.

Stupercharged

Established Member
kenne bell + crappy rods doesnt sound like a good combo? should i be wary of buying this vehicle then? i dont want to spend the money and then have the motor blow up on me the next day?!

RMoore92

Established Member
kenne bell + crappy rods doesnt sound like a good combo? should i be wary of buying this vehicle then? i dont want to spend the money and then have the motor blow up on me the next day?!

Its not if they will fail, its a matter of when. I see you're from Phoenix, if the truck is local post on AZLOC and try to ask for more info on the truck.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I've been running a 2.3 KB on a stock block for over 5 years. It's all in how you treat it.

Users who are viewing this thread