kenny brown IRS brace

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
how much will this help my wheelhop situation? i already have urethane bushings, and was thinking about getting the IRS brace because i have to get rid of this wheelhop, but just wanted to see what yall thought before i blew 140 bucks

FastFwd

Dave hates me
Established Member
I don't think it's going to be much more effective than the one that came with the car. Looks like the PHP brace.

John

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
Kenny Brown makes awesome subframe connectors, cost is around $99 but dont look for them to help with the wheel hop problem, you're gonna need tires with more grip or some new bushings for the IRS or some anti-hop rear shocks.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by 11secCobra
how much will this help my wheelhop situation? i already have urethane bushings, and was thinking about getting the IRS brace because i have to get rid of this wheelhop, but just wanted to see what yall thought before i blew 140 bucks

Total waste of money. :D

Since you have the MM IRS bushings I would highly suggest the following-

'00R shocks-
MM rear coil-overs- 650lb springs- lower rear to 27" height
Steeda/KB differential bushings
MM full length sub-frame connectors
A good set of sticky tires- (Nitto 555Rs, etc...)

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
do those 00R shocks work as good as the anti-hop rear shocks? what are the specs for the 2.....also whats the price difference?

jimh

Established Member
For SFCs I personally like and have Global West. I have a vert and want/need the extra support of their competition connectors. They're not cheap at about $400, but they are that good. I had them on my 2K GT vert. They do make just the regular connectors that don't go out to the rocker panels as well ($150) You lose no ground clearance with either set.

There are plenty fo good connectors out there. Global West, MM, Kenny Brown, etc. Make sure you get full length and weld in.

I just got my GW's for my '03 vert and will be having them installed ASAP. I get whell hop very easily right now. Car is currently 100% stock with <1500 miles. I'll let you know if they help with the hop. I'm pretty sure they will in my case. Verts have way too much flex. IRS bushings will be next for me, then power mods.

jim

jimh

Established Member
Originally posted by WS6JJP
Kenny Brown makes awesome subframe connectors, cost is around $99 but dont look for them to help with the wheel hop problem, you're gonna need tires with more grip or some new bushings for the IRS or some anti-hop rear shocks.

I'm not so sure about that. If the flex in the factory bushings that alows the IRS subframe to move around can cause hop, stiffening the chasis up can make a noticable difference. SFCs can make a difference in traction. Granted not like a good set of tires but any flex is a loss of energy. Anybody racing these cars should have them anyway. That goes for any car as far as I'm concerned.

I'm putting a set in my vert with no other mods. I'll post if it makes a difference. Actually I'll post even if it doesn't. :)

You are right though, shocks and tires will make a big difference as well. Probably a bigger difference than SFCs but I don't think he'll get rid of the hop with out them.

jim

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
hey bingo13, you still have that link to make the brace for the IRS? i cannot remember what its called, but its the one you bolt to the rear wheel well and weld to the IRS? sorry for not being more specific, but i think you know what im talking about.
wouldnt that help alot with the wheel hop? (i have mine made, and ready to bolt in, but im waiting till a buddy (whos a decent welder) can weld it on)

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by WS6JJP
do those 00R shocks work as good as the anti-hop rear shocks? what are the specs for the 2.....also whats the price difference?

They will help but work best with a very good set of coil-overs or springs.

The anti-hop shocks sold by HbH or the same units at Amazon Racing work best with a stock suspension. I have seen mixed results with the QA-1 items.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by 03InThe11s
hey bingo13, you still have that link to make the brace for the IRS? i cannot remember what its called, but its the one you bolt to the rear wheel well and weld to the IRS? sorry for not being more specific, but i think you know what im talking about.
wouldnt that help alot with the wheel hop? (i have mine made, and ready to bolt in, but im waiting till a buddy (whos a decent welder) can weld it on)

At the end of this page-

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68839&highlight=mathis

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
do you know the specs on the shocks compared to the stock ones? how much will the ride quality differ from stock? My car is already lowered, will that make a difference?

Users who are viewing this thread