Kenny Brown upper control arm -- broke!

coleman

Established Member
Aren't aftermarket pieces better than stock? Or just lighter, weaker, & more expensive?

I bought some tubular upper & lower control arms for my car & today one of them broke! :mj:

here's a picture of where it broke... it was very interesting getting it home from work. it just gave way without notice & i wasn't doing anything i don't do every single day i drive :chicken:

L3thal 324

Established Member
damn that sucks. i was wondering though... how much is it for a coilover set up. is it true that the coilovers have weak points???? send PM if you don't want to post it. thanks

coleman

Established Member
this is my first coil-over setup so i can't speak. let's just say it's not cheap & this upper control arm has nothing to do with any given coilover setup being weak. i don't think you can use these w/o a rear coilover, but that is beside the point.

why would i not want to post?

L3thal 324

Established Member
the price that is. i dont know the rules with vendors and such. i figured coilover weren't cheao which is why i prolly wont ever be getting any. ahaha good luck with replacing the control arm though.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Damn....Well luckly no accidents happened.

Hey maybe thats why Marc's been beating u? :shrug:

Sorry...dont mean to Joke.
Why did u not go with Griggs or MM

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Kenny Brown :nonono:

Can't say I'm suprised..

Glad you didn't get into a wreck or something. That's all you need huh?

Same here. Not to pour salt into your wounds, but as I have said before Kenny Brown stuff is crap.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Same here. Not to pour salt into your wounds, but as I have said before Kenny Brown stuff is crap.

You are so mean, I heard KB stuff works well as a boat anchor.:shrug:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
You are so mean, I heard KB stuff works well as a boat anchor.:shrug:

Hey Brian what is up your sig says 03 Z06 and doesn't say 03 Cobra anymore. That is a neat garage with that many Cobra Rs and a Z-06.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Hey Brian what is up your sig says 03 Z06 and doesn't say 03 Cobra anymore. That is a neat garage with that many Cobra Rs and a Z-06.

Yea, sold the 03 and 01 Cobra for a new Z06. Can't wait to get it on the track.....having Hoosiers mounted tomorrow. :beer:

Brian

PS Did you get my PM about the Griggs K-member I am selling that I took out of my 01? I know you have mentioned you want one.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
btw, it broke the day before i would have been at open track racing event!

Now that is luck. If you would have broken it at an open track event you would most likely be very upset now.

coleman

Established Member
that's why i mentioned it ... better to have broken today than @ 100 mph going into a corner or 140+ straight-away :eek:

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Okay a few quick points.

Kenny Brown sucks, ask any one who really knows there stuff, (like the guys over at corner carvers). Not only do many of there parts offer little to no gain despite there outlandish claims but they are overpriced to boot.

The reason Griggs and MM don't make tubular IRS arms is there are a lot of loads and forces at work on the IRS, and to make tubular arms strong enough to withstand those forces the weight savings would be negligible (the lower arm is aluminum to start with, not sure about the upper). And at least before the 03 the IRS was a niche market and the amount of people that were serious enough to buy tubular arms was very small, most just want to swap in a solid axle for racing duty.

I hope you can get it replaced but I just wouldn't trust it. Like you said break that going in to a corner and the rest of your suspension and some body work will be gone at the least, hit a wall and your car would be totaled.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Kyle

coleman

Established Member
it's off to the shop this morning...
i want to hear what they say about the whole situation.

i think it broke when i hit a dip in the road ... that is, it finally gave way. it may have been weakened over a period of time, but that dip in the road finally caused it to separate. :cryying:

Bingo13

Established Member
Coleman,

Sorry about the break....call me the next time you want to buy KB stuff, this one was predictable due to their design. :(

Users who are viewing this thread