Killer Chiller Heat Exchanger Bypass - Is this a good way to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WireMesh

Established Member
I have a Killer Chiller and was wanting to do the heat exchanger bypass, but have it controlled by a switch. Here is a diagram of my idea:
0qhtLWQ.jpg

What is everyone's thoughts on this? The switch would be mounted under my dash. Here are the parts:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-2-3-4...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2336256201
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-NE...877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce778a3ad
I was thinking get the valve where it spring loads to bypassed, and when powered, switches to the heat exchanger.

WireMesh

Established Member
Looks solid to me. Cheapest setup for HE bypass I've seen by far.

I went with a motorized ball valve over a solenoid valve because of cost and I'm wondering if the 3 or so seconds it takes to switch would cause too much back pressure and hurt the pump or something (assuming it would be fine)? Also, I am wondering how much the swing check valves would hurt the flow of the system.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Oversize the check valve and you shouldn't have a problem. As for the motorized ball valve, I don't see a reason why you'd need to switch it while driving. The motor just gives convenience instead of climbing underneath.

bigmoose

Established Member
You won't hurt the IC pump. The motor is magnetically coupled to the pump mechanism. Any block in the system will just stop flow and the IC motor will continue to run the same as if the system was flowing.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Some day I might set up a valved bypass. Right now i dont even have my HE hooked up at all. I just have it completely bypassed.

WireMesh

Established Member
You won't hurt the IC pump. The motor is magnetically coupled to the pump mechanism. Any block in the system will just stop flow and the IC motor will continue to run the same as if the system was flowing.
Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear.
Oversize the check valve and you shouldn't have a problem. As for the motorized ball valve, I don't see a reason why you'd need to switch it while driving. The motor just gives convenience instead of climbing underneath.

Do you think oversizing the check valves to 1" is that necessary? I would want to switch it if I decided I wanted to turn the A/C off!

WireMesh

Established Member
Just had an idea... I may try to wire up the 3 way valve to the A/C switch so it switches to the killer chiller or not depending on what A/C option is selected. I will definitely need to look into how that switch works though.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Just had an idea... I may try to wire up the 3 way valve to the A/C switch so it switches to the killer chiller or not depending on what A/C option is selected. I will definitely need to look into how that switch works though.

This would be bad ass. The reason i did a full delete is that my fluid gets down in the low 30s. So no matter what here in so cal my HE will just be warming it up any time of year.

WireMesh

Established Member
This would be bad ass. The reason i did a full delete is that my fluid gets down in the low 30s. So no matter what here in so cal my HE will just be warming it up any time of year.
Shouldn't be too hard. I'll have to investigate how the switch works. The circuit will probably just be a couple of OR gates. Have the bypass on if it's on AC, Max AC, or Defrost combo. Otherwise, switch it to use the heat exchanger. I want to be able to switch between them in case I do not want AC on or something...

laruei

Established Member
OP did you ever do this? I was looking at those exact valves to try and make a bypass that didn't require anything but pushing a button :)

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Funny working on the same thing
Ordered a 3 way 12 vdc from china, but found out 1 side is not full port.
Not a lot of picture or info for Chinese products. But I ain't going to spend 500 bucks or more
For a American one.
Plus not many 12 vdc options out there, only the Chinese seem to make it

I ordered the Baco one from ebay, 3 way with one port on the bottom, that's the port that really small
I'm looking at buying the side port 3 way, but only comes in stainless.
From the specs the 1 inch port is 18mm which is almost 3/4
But I can't find any pics or info if the all 3 ports are 18mm
Please let me know if you find a 3 way worth it
I don't mind spending money, but I hate wasting it.
Damn Chinese, it's just like they hiding the specs

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Heads up that 3 way valve is a piece of shit. I ordered one too. In one direction you have good flow like this.

photo%25201.JPG

The other path has a tiny little slot for fluid to flow

See that tiny little slot there at the top? That's all the volume of fluid it flows in one of the directions.

photo%25203.JPG

Another shot

photo%25204.JPG

You're much better off getting two 2 way electric ball valves and doing it that way instead of a single 3 way.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
:lol:
That's what I was talking about. I ordered the same one.
I have been thinking about a motorized valve to by pass the exchanger for awhile,
And recently starting trying to do it.
I'm debating on buying the 3 way that goes sideways, I'm hoping that one will be full port
The only one they got is stainless, 128.99 for 1 inch, 18mm
If I do, I'll let you guys know if it is
Phocking Chinese, don't provide enough pics. Even the schematics
Don't show.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I think I'm going to I'm going to just eliminate my intercooler in the front bumper all together. Today was 36F out and I was out running the car racing a few buddies and making some highway pulls and IAT2s were 145+. That's with 36F ambient. I'm thinking screw it, just run KC all the time even when winter lol.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I think I'm going to I'm going to just eliminate my intercooler in the front bumper all together. Today was 36F out and I was out running the car racing a few buddies and making some highway pulls and IAT2s were 145+. That's with 36F ambient. I'm thinking screw it, just run KC all the time even when winter lol.

Thats what i do. My IAT2s are in the 60s and 70s max during cruising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread