Killer deal on a New 08 GT500???

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I used to sell at a Ford Store and there is about 6000 from retail to invoice plus a 1800 hold back that they get once they sell the car....PLUS right now they have a 6500 Rebate from Ford.
So if a dealer sells it at invoice they would make appox. 14300 and the sales guy would get 25% of that....3575 commision. Not bad for one car!!!

WOW. So another words you can offer them like 35-38k for a new one and they would still make like 5k. To bad they wont even consider that offer.
I guess let them sit on it then. Eventually they will realize esp when the 2010 hit the floor. Then the "new" car they have is like 2-3 years old. LOL.

MK1

Established Member
This reminds me of when the new 03-04 cobras came out. I went to my dealer they were one of the only SVT dealers around and they had a 5k dealer mark up over sticker. I offered to buy it for sticker they refused. I bought a SS camaro a few weeks later. I stopped in monthly to kick tires and watch the car sell 10 months later for 28k. lmao. The sticker should be the most you pay for a car....

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Wow prices being that low makes me consider selling the mystic or trading someone trying to get out from under an 07 or 08. Hmmm a vista blue vert sounds really good hehe.

03'Darin

Established Member
WOW. So another words you can offer them like 35-38k for a new one and they would still make like 5k. To bad they wont even consider that offer.
I guess let them sit on it then. Eventually they will realize esp when the 2010 hit the floor. Then the "new" car they have is like 2-3 years old. LOL.

I know I'm a little late to this party but I just ran across this thread. I've been a Ford salesman for over 22 years and seeing stuff like this posted gets under my skin.

First off totheduals numbers are WAY off.

On a $47,000 window sticker GT500 there is $4,000 mark up from invoice, then there is $1,300 of hold back. Hold back is basically considered floor plan assistance for the dealer. If the dealer sells the car quickly they pretty much make that as profit. Holdback should cover 90 days of the dealers cost to stock the vehicle. For each month or even day that car sists there it costs the dealer money. Most dealers have their inventory "floor planned" which means they pay interest each month on the cost of the car. Basically like just paying the interest on your car loan.

Maybe in Canada they have a $6500 rebate on these cars but here we have $3,000 DEALER CASH, not a rebate but additional incentive that the dealer gets when they sell the car. Rebates and or dealer cash are specific to the region you live in. So you can't go buy a car in Canada that you license in Michigan and get a $6,500 rebate.

So in todays market if you were to sell a car for sticker (how in the world are we going to do that??) The dealer would have $4,000 markup, $1,300 of holdback and $3000 of dealer cash for a total of $8,300.00 Now lets take into account how much it cost the dealer to sit on that car for oh lets say.... a year...... maybe $3,000???? So that drops the profit down to $5,300.

Now as far as salemans pay goes.... most dealerships pay 25% on the profit from invoice to selling price. I don't know of any dealerships that pay salesman on hold back. Most dealerships do pay on dealer cash, but some don't. Now pay on specialty cars like GT500's or KR's or Cobra "R"s or anything selling at a premium the dealership usually cap the salemans pay at $500 or pay a drastically reduced % from the 25% bracket.

So no offense totheduals but unless your numbers were in canadian (I don't even know what the conversion rate is right now) you were way off.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I know I'm a little late to this party but I just ran across this thread. I've been a Ford salesman for over 22 years and seeing stuff like this posted gets under my skin.

On a $47,000 window sticker GT500 there is $4,000 mark up from invoice, then there is $1,300 of hold back. Hold back is basically considered floor plan assistance for the dealer. If the dealer sells the car quickly they pretty much make that as profit. Holdback should cover 90 days of the dealers cost to stock the vehicle. For each month or even day that car sists there it costs the dealer money. Most dealers have their inventory "floor planned" which means they pay interest each month on the cost of the car. Basically like just paying the interest on your car loan.

Maybe in Canada they have a $6500 rebate on these cars but here we have $3,000 DEALER CASH, not a rebate but additional incentive that the dealer gets when they sell the car. Rebates and or dealer cash are specific to the region you live in. So you can't go buy a car in Canada that you license in Michigan and get a $6,500 rebate.

So in todays market if you were to sell a car for sticker (how in the world are we going to do that??) The dealer would have $4,000 markup, $1,300 of holdback and $3000 of dealer cash for a total of $8,300.00 Now lets take into account how much it cost the dealer to sit on that car for oh lets say.... a year...... maybe $3,000???? So that drops the profit down to $5,300.

Now as far as salemans pay goes.... most dealerships pay 25% on the profit from invoice to selling price. I don't know of any dealerships that pay salesman on hold back. Most dealerships do pay on dealer cash, but some don't. Now pay on specialty cars like GT500's or KR's or Cobra "R"s or anything selling at a premium the dealership usually cap the salemans pay at $500 or pay a drastically reduced % from the 25% bracket.

So no offense totheduals but unless your numbers were in canadian (I don't even know what the conversion rate is right now) you were way off.

Darin, thanks for posting this! Good to have actual clarification on this stuff, without so much speculation!:beer:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member

Except the so called "dealer invoice" is not really what they pay for the car. Look on ebay right now. GT500KRs and GT500s selling below so called dealer invoice. Not to mention they have been sitting on them for months now. Their is one dealership in Flordia selling 5 2009s for like 40,500. That blows the competion away. Now of course they dont have Naviagtion. But still. Almost every dealer I talk to wants sticker for their GT500s. Even used GT500s they want as much as a new GT500.

03'Darin

Established Member
Darin, thanks for posting this! Good to have actual clarification on this stuff, without so much speculation!:beer:

You're welcome! :beer:

People tend to think the dealerships make huge profits on everything they sell. That's obviously not the case. Yes we do make good money on stuff that the market commands a higher price but those vehicles are few and far between. Those few units that get adjusted for market value are the only ones people talk about. Nobody ever brings up the countless vehicles we sell for a few hundered dollars profit because we're expected to do that.

Now don't get me wrong there are plenty of dealerships out there that shoot for the moon on profits, they tend to be the stores that still have the 08' and in some cases 07' left over GT500's.

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
Not yet still in the process of selling my car. Original buyer backed out on me. Ive found a few good deals but cant move on them until I get current car sold.

Any luck with uncle finding one?

Nah, he missed out on any good deal he had a crack at. I've given up on him, I dont think hes going to buy anything. Best of luck to you man, its out there somewhere, just hold out for what you want.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I used to sell at a Ford Store and there is about 6000 from retail to invoice plus a 1800 hold back that they get once they sell the car....PLUS right now they have a 6500 Rebate from Ford.
So if a dealer sells it at invoice they would make appox. 14300 and the sales guy would get 25% of that....3575 commision. Not bad for one car!!!

Sales person does not make commission off of holdback or rebates :bored:

Toasty

Established Member

1 USD == roughly 1.25 CDN dollars.

The actual exchange rate is .80 CDN == 1 USD, but by the time we actaully 'buy' USD's from our bank or run it thru visa there are extra 'charges' we get screwed for.

about 18 months ago, the CDN dollar was worth about 1.10 USD (it was worth MORE). I wish I would have bought something then. lol.

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member

What dealership do you work at? I live in south central pa.

CGoeschel

Established Member
We sold 3 KR's last week. One for sticker. The other two were discounted a couple thousand over invoice each. We've got one '08 black vert left and four '09's if anyone is interested?

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
I bought my brand new 2008 GT500 last month for $36.3k (that includes the 3k marketing allowance) from a dealer who was very happy to get rid of it. The car has everything but nav and stickered for $47,450. The deals are out there, you just have to find them and be patient.

slingshot

Established Member
I bought my brand new 2008 GT500 last month for $36.3k (that includes the 3k marketing allowance) from a dealer who was very happy to get rid of it. The car has everything but nav and stickered for $47,450. The deals are out there, you just have to find them and be patient.
Very good deal...

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member

WOW!!!:bowdown:
That was a amazing deal. I guess like you said have to be patient when it comes to finding the right deal.

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
Yeah, when this deal came across my plate, I had to take it. I've been wanting a Shelby ever since they came out but I wasn't comfortable with paying MSRP let alone the ADMs. But it wasn't something I HAD to have right away so my patience turned out to be a blessing.

Users who are viewing this thread