Kinda confusing: M6 or 6 series race.

95snoozer

Established Member
I was on the way home to pick up my girl for Vday dinner (late of course). There was a 6 series merging on with me into traffic. He seemed to be in about the same hurry as I, yet he was a little more risky with the tight lane changes. I am not one to dart in and out unsafely or cut anyone off. He had taken off a few times and I had dropped to 3rd and followed to let him know i had a little power. Man that car squats and takes off when it downshifts. at 70!
Finally we got in an opening. I moved to the left lane and he was a car back. I saw the car squat and go as I was acustomed to by now. as soon as he got to my door I stabbed 3rd. I held him there through 3rd, then powershifted 4th. I was expecting to get DRUUUG in 4th. but he stayed right there until I had to let off. This was a pretty short run I am sure his power would have reared its ugly head had we gone past 120. He had a passenger. I didnt.

It was a beutiful black 6 series with quad tips so I thought M6. I see they have 500 hp and trap 117. Perhaps He had a full tank of gas and a hidden back seat passenger. OR this was a regular 360 hp 6 series and just runs pretty nasty from a roll with a passenger.

Either way it was lots of fun and I got home much quicker.:coolman:

95snoozer

Established Member
PilledV8s said:
He probably didn't have it in the 500hp mode, meaning you ran him in the 400hp mode.
ha, That is awesome.

I usually run with 110-112 cars from a roll. from how it was running, he was probbably in a 112-114 range. man I love ricer math:D

PilledV8s

Established Member
95snoozer said:
ha, That is awesome.

I usually run with 110-112 cars from a roll. from how it was running, he was probbably in a 112-114 range. man I love ricer math:D

Ricer math???? read below

"BMW decided to change it, most notably by adding a magical button that, when pushed, adds yet another 100 horses to the engine. Simply depress and, voila, you've hit the 500-horsepower threshold."

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/15/Autos/bmw_m5/index.htm?postversion=2006051516

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
redfire03 svt said:
yes the m series can switch to sport mode when needed, goood run....

?????? The car can drop 100 hp??? There is a 'sport' mode in my friends volvo, doesnt feel any faster lol.

SVT04

Established Member
I think the M6 should be pretty fast, I'm gonna Whipple or 2.6 my Cobra just for insurance .....

Last edited:

bigsboomers

Both the m5 and m6 have the "M" button.

Reviewers even said without "M" mode engaged, the cars sound like diesels when they start, and arent very impressive. But once you hit the M button, it goes to a stock default for the suspension, transmission (higher rpm shifting + quicker shits [f1 paddkes]), and engine (Goes from 400HP daily driver to a high revving 500hp monster), making it into a VERY aggresive machine. 500HP in a V10 from bmw, VERY fast.

They just needed to make it so all the rich business men could drive it daily and still have a sporty car for the weekends.

Last edited:

caz713

Established Member
as others have said, if it was an M6, he was probably in the 400 hp mode or else the OP would have gotten walked

some of you should think about reading up on the competition once in a while

95snoozer

Established Member
PilledV8s said:
Ricer math???? read below

"BMW decided to change it, most notably by adding a magical button that, when pushed, adds yet another 100 horses to the engine. Simply depress and, voila, you've hit the 500-horsepower threshold."

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/15/Autos/bmw_m5/index.htm?postversion=2006051516
no I was making fun of myself estimating that the car trapped 112-114 based on how he ran with me with 1 passenger in the car.

Ricer math = estimating traps from roll races with other cars.:coolman:

that is a damn sweet car

PilledV8s

Established Member
95snoozer said:
especially since I trap 110 AND he had a passenger. hmm, If a stock 6 series is that fast, why even buy an M...

Because the M6 traps 119-121mph and it's not that much more than the 650i.

Fourcam330

Established Member
95snoozer said:
especially since I trap 110 AND he had a passenger. hmm, If a stock 6 series is that fast, why even buy an M...

You trap 110 when going from a dig, not a 70 roll. Highway speeds + are their forte. Regardless, I suppose it could have been an M6, but don't count out the 650.

95snoozer

Established Member
my runs better from a roll because I am undergeared for the 1/4.

My car picks up 26 mph in the second 1/8th.

Running from that high of a roll, my car has much better average power due to the gearing and the closer ratio of 3rd and 4th. there is math to roll racing. If you pick your battles correctly, you can run with a lil bit faster cars.

M6 in 400 hp mode sounds just about right. It was an m6 astheticly, It had the quad tips and had the wheels. I just thought there was no way in hell i would run like that with a 500 hp M6. Hence the initial confusion. I dont think a 360 FWHP 3750 pound car with 2 grown men passengers 200 pounds each would inch on me (a 3100 pound with a little less power).

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
95snoozer said:
my runs better from a roll because I am undergeared for the 1/4.

My car picks up 26 mph in the second 1/8th.

Running from that high of a roll, my car has much better average power due to the gearing and the closer ratio of 3rd and 4th. there is math to roll racing. If you pick your battles correctly, you can run with a lil bit faster cars.

M6 in 400 hp mode sounds just about right. It was an m6 astheticly, It had the quad tips and had the wheels. I just thought there was no way in hell i would run like that with a 500 hp M6. Hence the initial confusion. I dont think a 360 FWHP 3750 pound car with 2 grown men passengers 200 pounds each would inch on me (a 3100 pound with a little less power).

Then there's your answer. Out of curiosity were your 110-112 traps on slicks, DRs, or pure street radials?
BMWs are geared for the highway. While the 4.8 X5 can't touch a Jeep SRT8 under 100, after that speed, they're almost even despite the 70hp/70tq and weight (550lbs+) deficit.

Last edited:

95snoozer

Established Member
on nitto 555Rs running 12.5 and street tires spinning through 1st I can put down those traps
i trap 110 at the track though.

ford a little comparison, a few days prior I ran an 00 SS with LT ORY cutout, lid tune and put 1.5 cars on it from the same roll as the Bimmer. he dynoed 330/340s.

I know gearing is a marvelous thing. especially on the BMW. I dont usually like to talk about who I beat or who I can beat. anything can happen on the street. I was just very curious about the result of this race. Yall gave me the answers which explain the result.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread