Kirban Shifter Pictures

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
they are all comparable in performance... price ranging from $149-199..a shifter is personal preference..you will get different opinions an all of them..I don't think you can go wrong with any of them...I'd be happy to discuss any points further 410 676 3433

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
Originally posted by Linn@AmazonRacing
they are all comparable in performance... price ranging from $149-199..a shifter is personal preference..you will get different opinions an all of them..I don't think you can go wrong with any of them...I'd be happy to discuss any points further 410 676 3433

Linn. will they all fix the dreaded 2 to 3 shift? Did a fast shift once and it went foward but not into gear, Scared the S*** out of me!

Which one moves the center of the shifts further back? I think the ergonomics on the stock shifter leave alot to be desired.

mustarrosa

Established Member
Shifter

Linn is right about the personal preference on the different aftermarket available shifter but, I think anything over stock will be an improvement. I have had the Tri-Ax and Pro.5.0 and both are good though I like the feel of the Tri-Ax a little better. Just personal preference ya' know.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
Originally posted by geepaw
Linn. will they all fix the dreaded 2 to 3 shift? Did a fast shift once and it went foward but not into gear, Scared the S*** out of me!

Which one moves the center of the shifts further back? I think the ergonomics on the stock shifter leave alot to be desired.

yes they will fix the 2-3 shift and also shorten the throw pattern.

it is the handle of theTriax and Blue Thunder that is back the furthest

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
Well the install is a day later than I wanted, but it was very easy. Let me start by saying that it is nice to finally get rid of the stock clicky detent springs on the stock shifter. The Kirban shifter is nice and smooth. My only complaint is the Kirban shifter handle. I am 6' 2" and the shifter handle is just to short for me to reach with the seat all the way back. I had the MGW adjustable handle on the stock Ford shifter, so I just moved it to the Kirban shifter and made the final adjustments. Now all I need to find is a shifter ball that feels better than the stock one. Any suggestions???

ps...I think I will install the Kirban short handle only when going to the drag strip...

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by Richo
Well the install is a day later than I wanted, but it was very easy. Let me start by saying that it is nice to finally get rid of the stock clicky detent springs on the stock shifter. The Kirban shifter is nice and smooth. My only complaint is the Kirban shifter handle. I am 6' 2" and the shifter handle is just to short for me to reach with the seat all the way back. I had the MGW adjustable handle on the stock Ford shifter, so I just moved it to the Kirban shifter and made the final adjustments. Now all I need to find is a shifter ball that feels better than the stock one. Any suggestions???

ps...I think I will install the Kirban short handle only when going to the drag strip...

Good to hear! I just got a great shifter knob....I'll take some pics of it to post or get the link which I have at the office for you. I'd like to know more about the MGW adjustable handle....I too think you have to reach way too far forward to shift.

akaeric

Established Member
mustarrosa,where did you get wider cobra wheels I just want 10's to get that off set look but I like my stock wheels

Last edited:

davidmax

Established Member
We have a slight secret way of installing Kirbans,we use duct tape with adhesive wheel weights.They not only make the shift smooter from inertia of the weights,but also deadens some sound as you wrap the shifter into the base.
The unit is great and I have installed 100's on Vettes but not 1 Staamg yet we like the Trax and the pro 5.0.The B&M and Hurst got noisy for Vettes and never installed 11 on a staang but the Hurst and B&M are a matter of luck perhaps the mechanisns have cahanged I aalways liked the Kirban forrr the Vette even LPE charged 175.00 inst 56 years ago but dropped it because it only had the 25% reduction and every onewantedall the bells and whistle.LPE and Xtreme on Vettes use primarily hurst and B&M as the bsstaaaple of theeree diet.Dave Smilovic

davidmax

Established Member
We have a slight secret way of installing Kirbans,we use duct tape with adhesive wheel weights.They not only make the shift smooter from inertia of the weights,but also deadens some sound as you wrap the shifter into the base.
The unit is great and I have installed 100's on Vettes but not 1 Staamg yet we like the Trax and the pro 5.0.The B&M and Hurst got noisy for Vettes and never installed 11 on a staang but the Hurst and B&M are a matter of luck perhaps the mechanisns have cahanged I aalways liked the Kirban forrr the Vette even LPE charged 175.00 inst 56 years ago but dropped it because it only had the 25% reduction and every onewantedall the bells and whistle.LPE and Xtreme on Vettes use primarily hurst and B&M as the bsstaaaple of theree diet.Dave Smilovic

Users who are viewing this thread