KKM vs. Others

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Okay, I'm about to purchase a CAI, but have a few last minute questions??? Which brand out there would you guys recommend? Also, has anyone noticed any "real" increases with a regular drop in K&N? Thanks in advance.

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Large K&N (#RU-3530 I believe)
MAF adapter
Homade heat sheild.
Total cost-$60
That is the best intake you can buy. Period.

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
The one I mentioned is definately the best bang for the buck. It makes the more power and is only 60 bucks. The SHO shop is a half assed version of the homade setup only way more expensive. Plus the heatshield is metal, which will only cause heatsoak. Same deal with the KKM more money for an inferior intake. No heatshield, an inverse cone filter(causes turbulant airflow).

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Jason43
The one I mentioned is definately the best bang for the buck. It makes the more power and is only 60 bucks. The SHO shop is a half assed version of the homade setup only way more expensive. Plus the heatshield is metal, which will only cause heatsoak. Same deal with the KKM more money for an inferior intake. No heatshield, an inverse cone filter(causes turbulant airflow).

Well noted. What did you make your heat shield out of, plastic, fiberglass, cardboard??? J/K! but seriously, if I were to go with the KKM, would placing one of those "Tornado" devices, behind the filter, relieve the turbulant airflow?

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
A large K&N (RU-3530 IIRC). Can't remember the site I ordered mine from. I'll see if I can find it.
A 75mm MAF adapter from duratecperformance.com
Heatsheild(trashcan, plastic container etc.)

engine3.JPG

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Is the rational behind this, that since the air filter is larger than normal=less air flow restriction? Also, what is the difference between this filter and the K&N that fits the stock air box?

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Bigger filter= more air flow. This is also better than a K&N in the stock air box because the cone air cleaner doesn't allow as much airflow than the open filter setup.

chknhwk

Originally posted by Jason43
Bigger filter= more air flow. This is also better than a K&N in the stock air box because the cone air cleaner doesn't allow as much airflow than the open filter setup.

One K&N rep told me the drop in K&N is the best choice. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread