knock?head damage?/pics

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
well its been 2 long years this june that my car has been down. a missed shift and a over rev caused my car to have a knock. limped the car home and try to find out were the knock was coming from. it sounded deep so the car sit for a month. welll a month pass and I start the car back up to move it and no more knock! so I did a compression test and all was good but 7 & 8 were down about 15 psi. but still held 160 as the others held and averaged 175. leak down also good. so I drove it a few miles, started good ran good as far as normal driving. eased in it and it didn't seem to be down on power. so I was all good, "man what a relief"!parked it. 2 days later start it up head down the drive way I hear the knock again very faint. so I am thinking I might have spun a bearing or something. changed oil no metal flake ect. checked spark plug and there I found that good old number 7 plug had been slapped closed. confused about the cars diag with the compression test and the sound being deep and the car starting and running good not down on power and not skipping and the knocking being very faint it sounded like head tick but faint. I thought about putting in a new plug and seeing what happens but I let it set for a few weeks thinking about it then ripped off the cam covers just to take a peek all good!!!! but I knew the spark plug was the highest point and to be slapped shut could be nothing good. so It sit didn't have the cash for a rebuild and kids on the way had to put it on the back burner. so now iam having bad cobra withdraws and I need to get my girl back on the road. pull the motor and start the break down and this is what I find::??:#7

lvf1.jpg

pgvt.jpg

tvej.jpg

01n4.jpg

whats got me worried tho is the head what your guys thought? salvageable?

gnw7.jpg

n92c.jpg

xqs4.jpg

79wy.jpg

itSSlow98

Established Member
That head will be fine. I had way worse damage and you would never know it now.

Pistondamage3_zps54c73a08.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I cant find the before picture but almost all four cylinders on the drivers side were eaten up by debri and it messed up the valves. Here is is all fill welded and smoothed out with new manley stainless valves.

086783B7-D800-4C22-82C3-1127D1C1AC34-54578-00003518D15F441D_zps8eb9f6e4.jpg

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
thank god, I was really sweating the head. those heads look awesome did u do anymore work to the heads other then the valves, port or v-job? who did ur head work?

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
He did a valve job when he put the new valves in. I didnt do any port work because the whole build was unexpected and I just didnt have the money.

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
ya I been talking to a few engine builders and some say to port and polishes heads some say its a wast of money that the cobra heads flow so good already no need just rebuild and valve job. just was wondering, wanted to get some real world numbers and opions

TerminatedGT

Established Member
If you go with new pistons all the way around I am looking for some to put on the shelf and one for a motor I have now. Second 2003-2004 motor I have had with a hurt piston. Good luck on getting it back together

Users who are viewing this thread