Knock, knock. What is it?!

IwishIwasfast

Established Member
Within the past week, I've heard a very dull knock coming from the rear end. I can only hear it at very low rpm, and it's a short series of 2-3 knocks. When I'm backing out of a parking spot, going over a speed bump at an angle, or turning at very low speeds (5mph or less), I hear the noise. I thought it may be the diff, but I'm not too technically savvy to be able to diagnose this. Anyone ever experience this? Any ideas? I would get a sound clip to share, but you wouldn't be able to hear it through that. Truck runs great, no slipping, no difference in anything, just the fact that there is the dull knock. Thanks in advance for the help and replies. :rockon:

Bootie

Established Member
The differential is deffinetely a possibility. There's not much else back there that it could be unfortunately. I'd start with checking the fluid level.

JEFFRO'99

Gettin 'R Done
Established Member
I would start with checking the u-joints on the drive shaft. If they look ok, then check your parking brake set-up behind the rear rotors. Make sure nothing came apart in there. Could also be a caliper mount or slide being loose or even a warped rotor. The rear diffs are pretty stout, and if something was wrong inside there you would most likely hear it all the time..

Last edited:

IwishIwasfast

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Two different responses, two different answers. I guess I'll have to check everything out to see what I can find. Hopefully I can figure it out myself and won't need to take it into the dealer and have them bend me over the table.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Could just be clutch pack noise, especially in cooler weather when the rear end oil is not warmed up. I could hear mine when doing slow corners, even when it was warm. Be sure to check the u-joints and fluid level like the other posters suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread