Knocking Please Help!

03SONIC33

Established Member
I went to the track about 2 weeks ago and blew a few plugs. I replaced them and in the morning my motor knocks. Just for about 5min. until it warms up. Is this normal?

OH-MAN

Established Member
Originally posted by dirtchicken
What do you mean you blew a few plugs??:dw:

Did they leave the engine? or did they burn up? or did they foul?
What mods on truck? Was it pinging?

ZEM'S04 L

Established Member
Originally posted by ShockTherapy
If they came out of the engine, that would have to be the 1st 2003+ I have heard of ejecting plugs.

I agree, I seriously doubt he meant that they ejected, considering the '03-'04 heads have more threads.

03SONIC33

Established Member
Sorry guys,

I burned them up with a 40 shot of NOS and no fuel. Yes I ran out of fuel while going down the track and spraying it. The plugs were melted. I did stop right when I hear the pinging. I replaced the plugs but now in the morning it knocks until it gets warm. Then it goes away. I have a 5lb pulley, predator with JLP tune, JLP air box with ram air kit, C&L plenum, throttle body, 40 shot of NOS, and cat-back exaust. Thanks

OH-MAN

Established Member
I would do a leakdown test to determine where it might be hurt. Valves or rings. It went super lean when you lost the fuel so after you do the leakdown then you can decide where it is and more than likely pull the heads to do the valves if there is a burned one.
If it's leaking by the rings it's pull the motor time.
I know this is not what your hoping to hear but at least you can prepare for the worst case.

fststhou realtr

Established Member
Prolly got metal from the melted plugs in/on the heads causing the pre-ignition. Use a mini-scope to check the combustion chambers...Good luck

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Originally posted by 03SONIC33
Sorry guys,

I burned them up with a 40 shot of NOS and no fuel. Yes I ran out of fuel while going down the track and spraying it. The plugs were melted. I did stop right when I hear the pinging. I replaced the plugs but now in the morning it knocks until it gets warm. Then it goes away. I have a 5lb pulley, predator with JLP tune, JLP air box with ram air kit, C&L plenum, throttle body, 40 shot of NOS, and cat-back exaust. Thanks

I would check with your tuner before you do anything. If he tuned it properly there should not of been an issue of any kind.

Rainman15

Petey RIP 04/29/05
Established Member
Originally posted by SM0KESH0W
I would check with your tuner before you do anything. If he tuned it properly there should not of been an issue of any kind.

I don't think the tuner could have foreseen him running the truck literally out of gas halfway down the track. Doesn't sound like the tune was a factor from what he described.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
I must of misread the post. I didn't see that he ran out of gas. That sounds like a rookie mistake.

03SONIC33

Established Member
But it only knocks for about few minuts then goes anyway. Yes is was a stupid thing to do. The track ran out of race gas.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Best advice I can give is to search for alot of stock parts and try to put her back. And see if you can get her warrantied. Doubt it. But it's worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread