Koni Orange Vs. Bilstein HD vs. Bilstein Sport

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
I need shocks and struts. They're entirely blown. I was looking at Bilstein HD series struts/shocks. What's the difference between the sport Bilstein and HD series Bilstein? Should I bother with the Orange Koni, or stick with the Bilstein all around? I'm not looking for adjustable, just looking for something to keep me planted on high speed runs, for a car with 3.73's (I do high way driving, that's why I didn't go for the 4.10's) full exhaust and mail tune.

JCP281

Corner Carvin
Established Member
I am a Koni sport fan(yellows), personally. I feel they are better dampers. You dont have to use the adjustability, but its nice to have if you want to dial up performance.

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
I was curious about the Orange, if they would be worth while on a Cobra. I'd certainly never hesitate to out them on a v6, maybe even a GT. Also, how are the yellow Koni's compared to the Bilstein HD or sport series? I still don't know what the difference between the HD series and sports series, other than like 10$ on the American Muscle website.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have the Koni STR.T's on the wifes 06 GT and the Bolsters HD on the cobra. Not really apples to apples, but for the price I think the Konis are a good deal. I've recommended them to other people.

Last edited:

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
For the price they're good, but basically the Bilstein is just a different league than the Koni oranges, is what you're essentially saying right? I'm just referring to the Orange Koni vs. The Bilstein HD or Sport series in this case. I'm not knocking Koni as an overall brand, just the 2 comparisons.

Well, that basically made my mind up, do either of you know the difference, or anyone for that matter know, what the Sport Series Bilstein difference is from the Bilstein HD series is? Is one preferential for a different use than the other? If you scroll to shocks for Cobra they are basically a 5$ difference, but they don't exactly give you the most clear explanation of why pick one over the other, except a sales pitch.

Scroll to shocks on this website, you'll see what I'm speaking of. I'd really like to know which to buy. One must have a better function in a certain category over the other? Maybe street vs. Strip? But they don't exactly clarify it.

Bilstein HD series vs. Bilstein Sport Series
http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-shock-strut.html

01yellercobra

Established Member
For the price they're good, but basically the Bilstein is just a different league than the Koni oranges, is what you're essentially saying right? I'm just referring to the Orange Koni vs. The Bilstein HD or Sport series in this case. I'm not knocking Koni as an overall brand, just the 2 comparisons.

Well, that basically made my mind up, do either of you know the difference, or anyone for that matter know, what the Sport Series Bilstein difference is from the Bilstein HD series is? Is one preferential for a different use than the other? If you scroll to shocks for Cobra they are basically a 5$ difference, but they don't exactly give you the most clear explanation of why pick one over the other, except a sales pitch.

Scroll to shocks on this website, you'll see what I'm speaking of. I'd really like to know which to buy. One must have a better function in a certain category over the other? Maybe street vs. Strip? But they don't exactly clarify it.

Bilstein HD series vs. Bilstein Sport Series
http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-shock-strut.html

I think most people go with the HD's. That's what I have and the ride isn't terrible. It's pretty comfortable to be honest. I'm riding on H&R springs as well.

I got a low mile take off set of front and rear Bilsteins from a 2004 Cobra. It was a smokin deal...

Those are getting harder and harder to find. But the good thing is Bilstein will rebuild them for under $100 each.

shurur

Established Member
Maximum motorsports site has charts that show what shocks match to what spring rates. It's a pretty good guide to go by.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_struts_shocks_matching_spring_rates.aspx

The 2000R springs are the same rate as h&r race and vogtlands ~800.

And 2000R shocks and struts are bilstein B8 sports...same part numbers.

I have h@r race springs with b8 rear shocks and oem struts....I'll replace the front with koni sport sa yellows because of price and ease of converting konis to Coilover if I want to go that way up front someday.

I wouldn't worry about mixing manufacturers front and back.

Last edited:

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
Maximum motorsports site has charts that show what shocks match to what spring rates. It's a pretty good guide to go by.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_struts_shocks_matching_spring_rates.aspx

The 2000R springs are the same rate as h&r race and vogtlands ~800.

And 2000R shocks and struts are bilstein B8 sports...same part numbers.

I have h@r race springs with b8 rear shocks and oem struts....I'll replace the front with koni sport sa yellows because of price and ease of converting konis to Coilover if I want to go that way up front someday.

I wouldn't worry about mixing manufacturers front and back.

Good info, thank you. I was thinking of doing the Koni up front, Bilstein HD out back. I browsed their website too looking for options, and didn't notice that chart, good looks. I decided to go Bilstein HD all around.

BTW, seeing as no one was able to answer my question about the Bilstein HD vs. Bilstein Sport Series, I was able to eventually get the answer on my own. The HD series from Bilstein is for stock springs, or very near stock springs. The Sport Series from Bilstein is to be used with aftermarket springs for lowered applications, higher spring rates or both. Incase anyone needed that info.

Users who are viewing this thread