Koni Yellow question.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
What Koni yellow strut fits 11+ GT500s? I found some old threads that say the 05-10 Mustang v6/GT Koni yellows are the ones needed for the 11+ GT500, is this true?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, it's true. The '11+ GT has a different strut, but it's not the same strut mount as the GT500 for the same year. Order the '07-'10 struts. If you get the GT strut mount, you can mount the later struts.

barspen

Established Member
Yes, it's true. The '11+ GT has a different strut, but it's not the same strut mount as the GT500 for the same year. Order the '07-'10 struts. If you get the GT strut mount, you can mount the later struts.

^ This. I just installed Koni STR.T (Orange) stocks and struts last weekend. The rears are all the same, but you need the '07-'10 struts for the GT500 strut mount. Fit was perfect.

djmano

Established Member
dont mean to hijack thread but i thought the question to be relevant. im going to be installing koni yellow shocks on the front with the stock springs. does anyone know if i can just guide the strut up into the shock tower and then jack up the control arm to compress the spring then put the nuts on? really want to avoid using a spring compressor if at all possible.

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
dont mean to hijack thread but i thought the question to be relevant. im going to be installing koni yellow shocks on the front with the stock springs. does anyone know if i can just guide the strut up into the shock tower and then jack up the control arm to compress the spring then put the nuts on? really want to avoid using a spring compressor if at all possible.

Been a few years since I did my spring swap, but going from memory...NO
That is not advisable. You have to use the spring compressor, it's not that bad really. If you were using a lowering spring and not the stock spring you wouldn't need a compressor. You have to put the whole assembly together before you put it back in car.

I could be wrong, but it's safer to do it right anyway.

barspen

Established Member
What made you go with the orange and not the yellows?

I don't track that much, so I didn't see myself needing to adjust very often. Oranges seemed like a nice upgrade over the stock shocks/struts. Based on some research, the Oranges are the same as yellow, just fixed to the softest setting. Didn't see the value for the additional cost in going with yellows.

Been a few years since I did my spring swap, but going from memory...NO
That is not advisable. You have to use the spring compressor, it's not that bad really. If you were using a lowering spring and not the stock spring you wouldn't need a compressor. You have to put the whole assembly together before you put it back in car.

I could be wrong, but it's safer to do it right anyway.

Totally agree with Superfly99...I wouldn't mess with this method, although it seems 'possible' it could be dangerous. Besides the safety issue, you need to line up the spring ends in the groves (strut and strut mount). Assembling and lifting it in place with a jack might misalign the spring as you compress it. This was challenging with the spring compressors, I cant imagine doing it with with a limited view in the wheel well. The spring compressors are free to rent at AutoZone or cost about $45 on Amazon. Takes about an extra 15 minutes per side and ensures you are doing the job correctly.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
I decided to order the Koni yellows along with FRPP-L springs and new GT500 strut mounts. I want to swap the entire strut assembly as a single unit, do I need to use front spring isolators? I will not be taking the stock isolators off so I need to know if I should order some.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I would. You're going to need a jounce bumper and an upper strut mount too. It would be cheaper to use your old parts.

Last edited:

barspen

Established Member
I would. You're going to need a jounce bumper and an upper strut mount too. It would be cheaper to use your old parts.

Don't forget a new dust boot too.

I don't have front isolators on my setup.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
If the V6/GT Konis are the same application for the GT500, shouldn't there be a valving difference to compensate for the extra weight and stiffer spring rates?

barspen

Established Member
I got new strut mounts but why would I need jounce bumpers? I thought the bumpers are already oem equipment on the svtpp cars?

Based on your comments above, it sounded like you wanted all new components or didn't want to dissemble the old strut assembly.

You can re-use the bumpers, isolator and dust boot, but you will have to dissemble the existing strut assembly to remove them. That means getting spring compressors or taking them to an auto parts store to help.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The bumper is mounted on the shaft between the strut and the mount. No way to reuse it unless you disassemble your old strut.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
Based on your comments above, it sounded like you wanted all new components or didn't want to dissemble the old strut assembly.

You can re-use the bumpers, isolator and dust boot, but you will have to dissemble the existing strut assembly to remove them. That means getting spring compressors or taking them to an auto parts store to help.

Thought the were separate like the rear but I see what you're talking about now. I order the following, let me know if I am missing something for a complete single assembly swap.

Koni yellow struts and shocks for 05-10 Mustangs
Gt500 replacement strut mounts under the frpp label
Frpp-L springs for 07-14 gt500
Frpp jounce kit
Ford oem replacement spring sleeves (lower isolator)
Aftermarket dust boots Autozone #143059 (confirmed to fit)

barspen

Established Member
Looks good. Just an FYI, the top strut nut on the Koni kit may be a different size (larger) then the stock nut (21mm). Both thread on the piston the same, but you might need the larger deep socket to tighten it down. If you have a good tool set, shouldn't be an issue. I only had the 21mm deep socket handy, so I re-used the stock nut.

Also, plan on getting an front-end alignment after you're done. Between the springs and struts, the geometry will change and likely impact the alignment.

Post some pictures when you are done. Good luck!:beer:

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
Cuz I'm lazy and don't want to search....sorry

What is a good recommended "spirited street" driving setting for the Koni's? I have just ordered some since they seem to be on sale everywhere. Been on the stock S/S with sportlines for about 4 years. They are worn, looking forward to getting these in.

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
Ok I did a quick search.....full soft to 1/2 turn for comfortable street driving. 1-1/2 turn for Sporty. I'll give these a shot when I get them.

Full firm-TRACK ONLY....unless you want to rattle your teeth out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread