ladder bars on a street driven '03?

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
as the title says, im thinking about going with a ladder bar set up out back. my car has become more of a drag car than a street car of recent, and im seriously considering changing some things around. i realy just want the thing to dead hook on the street (where most of the drag racing occurs around here) and the advantages of a ladder bar are realy appealing. plus no one would think about a street driven, full interior car (minus the rear seats) with a/c having a serious strip suspension like that. with that said, what do you guys think?

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
03InThe11s said:
as the title says, im thinking about going with a ladder bar set up out back. my car has become more of a drag car than a street car of recent, and im seriously considering changing some things around. i realy just want the thing to dead hook on the street (where most of the drag racing occurs around here) and the advantages of a ladder bar are realy appealing. plus no one would think about a street driven, full interior car (minus the rear seats) with a/c having a serious strip suspension like that. with that said, what do you guys think?

If it isnt really a daily driver, then I would consider getting one thats easily removable and not welded to the frame. Do you pull the wheels that well at the track?

03InThe11s

Established Member
best of a 1.49 60' on 275/60/15 ET street radials :beer:

i just want it to hook a little better on the street. i figure ladder bars will give me some adjustablility

racebronco2

Established Member
Ladder bars will help you hook-up only if you have enough traction. why don't you just get some wider street/drag tires. With ladder bars you will not be able to take the curves fast anymore.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
03InThe11s said:
best of a 1.49 60' on 275/60/15 ET street radials :beer:

i just want it to hook a little better on the street. i figure ladder bars will give me some adjustablility

I take it that you dont have a stock rearend, huh? LOL Good times!

03InThe11s

Established Member
Jdaniel said:
I take it that you dont have a stock rearend, huh? LOL Good times!

i run a 8.8 out of a '96 cobra, with motorsports 28 spline axles, a stock diff and 3.73 gears. i keep waiting for it to break an axle, but its held up so far, im guessing because my somewhat mild dfx clutch takes some of the shock out of the launch.

racebronco2 said:
Ladder bars will help you hook-up only if you have enough traction. why don't you just get some wider street/drag tires. With ladder bars you will not be able to take the curves fast anymore.

well, with tall 28" tires out back, combined with little 15's all the way around, and with no front sway bar, my car would get out cornered by a '72 towncar. but after talking with the owner of a ladder bar'ed daily driven car, and hearing that with oil changes he also replaces end links, im probably going to keep my stock style suspension. might just try and stuff more tire in the wheelwell. :beer:

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
Why bother with ladder bars? Too many drawbacks and 'streetability' issues. Go with a set of Mega-bite Jrs. or the SSM lower control arms, either should answer your issues.

SVTboy

Established Member
I would try a set of adjustable uppers with a good set of lower control arms, with the uppers you could change the pinion angle and also set some preload on the chasis, that should get the tires up in the air...

Users who are viewing this thread