Landing a Career

Need2Speed86

MOB!!!
Established Member
So as a recent graduate of college I have been on the hunt for a career where I can move up and grow with the company.

Long story short I have managed to land a second interview with a panel of managers for a manager trainee program. I was looking for some insights, or any kind of pointers to give me an edge. Something to set me apart from the next. All input is appreciated!

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You didn't give us much to work with. I assume you have some sort of a Business Management degree? What type of management are you looking to get into? Project, personel, operations, etc?

When it comes to equally qualified people, in your case, entry level, presentation is just as important as any other fact. Put on a good image, make eye contact, answer questions confidently, and hope like hell there isn't a hot female applicant you are up against. If there is, you'll be shit outta luck!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
a manager trainee program, is that a job or a program to just train people for managing positions?

Need2Speed86

MOB!!!
Established Member
So yes my degree was in business/marketing.

The position is for recent graduates. Manager in training. Its a 4 month program at JB Hunt getting trained for a managing positions. The job would consist of managing their Intermodal unit downtown chicago managing a group of drivers, planning routes, and making sure things arrive on time.

So far Ive spent time writing out behavioral based questions and how I plan on answering them. Ive done research on the company, along with some laws and regulations so I can at least have a somewhat intellectual conversation.

Lastly Ive sat down and come up with a handful of questions that are meaningful to ask. Resume looks awesome.

Was really looking for any other things I am missing. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Oh and I'd say make sure your hair looks good and no boogers in your nose. Also don't wear pink to the interview... other than that good luck bruh!

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Oh and I'd say make sure your hair looks good and no boogers in your nose. Also don't wear pink to the interview... other than that good luck bruh!

Maybe he should wear pink? It'd be a subtle way of him showing that he is confident in himself.

-Eric

1996SVT

Established Member
1. Appearance
2. Appearance
3. Be confident
4. Ask questions and be EXCITED about the job. I love it when someone I am interviewing takes over as long as they are not being annoying.
5. If you're not on time, turn around and go home
6. Be prepared for the "who else are you interviewing with" question. If they think you are in demand, they will want you as well.

free advice
I don't care WTF they taught you in school. Management jobs are about managing people. Guess what? No one has ever figured out people. And you won't either.

Every time you make something idiot proof, someone builds a better idiot.

Don't EVER trust ANYONE. EVER!!

Planter

Banned
So as a recent graduate of college I have been on the hunt for a career where I can move up and grow with the company.

Long story short I have managed to land a second interview with a panel of managers for a manager trainee program. I was looking for some insights, or any kind of pointers to give me an edge. Something to set me apart from the next. All input is appreciated!

a college education is good and gives you some advantage, but keep in mind, it's only a foundation to your career. Getting into a career and mastering it at every level is the next challenge. Your degree does not put you in category of all knowing and qualified and expert. You are not an expert. You have learned the essentials to building a productive and rewarding career for yourself. You think learning, studying and books are over because you graduated college? Think again. You're just getting started. It continues on for life. Only difference is, there's usually no scantron tests (unless you're getting some sort of required certification that requires a test), your job is the test.

1 page resume, with brief but intelligently worded job descriptions, education background and other qualifications or certificates that are pertinent to your job. No one cares what Frat you were in. No one cares you played football. save that shit for the interview if asked, or if they do the usual, "So tell me a little about yourself and what you hope to accomplish here if offered a job".

don't put your references on the resume. either submit it on a separate page, or only submit it if they request it.

Letters of Recommendation from professors or supervisor/managers at places you did an internship at will only help you and strengthen your chances of getting your foot in the door. Do not get them from relatives or close family friends, you want unbiased sources of recommendations...professional recommendations.

be the eager beaver. Be willing to travel for additional training, be willing to start out in a low position and work your way up, but don't sell your self short either. You're entitled to nothing, but show you're willing to earn it and work for everything.

show up early, employers love this. they hate it when you show late to an interview. I show up to the parking lot 30 minutes early, I head inside about 20 minutes early and announce my presence.

neat handwriting. if the interviewer can't read your scribble on your app, your resume and application end up in the shredder, and he/she goes to the next applicant. If you ain't got it, get out that notebook and practice it. There's no excuse for sloppy or unreadable handwriting. You've had 17-20 years of school and plenty of time to practice, that shit should be legible by now.

speak with confidence. research the company before you go for your interview, take a legal tablet or notebook, with notes you've made, questions you have for them. It shows you care, it shows you bothered to check into them, who they are, what they offer, and it shows you have initiative. Don't stutter, use uh, or use repetitive or redundant statements. Impress them. Don't overdo it though. No one likes a brown noser.

Don't bullshit. dont tell them you can do something you cant just to get a job and then think you can learn it on the fly, that'll get you fired within 90 days.

sell them on how you can be an asset to the company and why hiring you, will benefit them. again, don't bs.

hair neatly combed, nose hairs clipped, earlobe fuzz shaved, eyebrows manicured, fingernails clipped and free of dirt or grease, clean shaven, or beard/mustache properly manicured and groomed. suit pressed, shoes polished, tie properly tied (or if your smart, you just get one of those clip on ties, then you dont have to mess with it), jacket buttoned up. no red ties or red shirts, that's a sign of power/domination. teeth brushed and flossed, breath mints on hand, pop one in right before the interview. if they call you in, and you're still working on it, swallow it. no gum. oh and take a shit 45 minutes before the interview. nothing worse than trying to hold off a fart in the middle of an interview.

good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread