Last minute Steeda Tri-ax install questions

jeffsavage

Established Member
Hey everyone,
I am building my "ultimate" shifter setup. I bought a Jack Roush signature shifter boot and handle, and Fatknob. But I am also replacing the stock mechanism w/ a Steeda tri-ax. I am going to install the Steeda this evening.

Couple questions, if anyone would be so kind to help

1) What is the best way to break loose the stock shifter from the tranny housing? The instructions say to whack stock (handle?) with block of wood! What works best without damaging stock one too bad?

2) Instructions say to get adhesive to glue new shifter to tranny housing. What kind of goo have people used with success?

Thanks in advance anyone!

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
1st. The Stock unit is held with 4 bolts & some Silicone. The silicone is what has it on so freaking tight. U can pull it with just ur hands & some muscle.

2nd. Clean the transmittion area of any left over silicone & apply some new silicone. Its like 3 or 5 bucks at ur auto store. It does come in handy for other stuff as well.

Good Luck & have Fun :beer:

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I think it's called RTV silicone. That is the high temperature silicone. That's the most important thing. The stuff I bought was black. Just yank on the shifter and be careful when it comes off or you may and up hitting yourself in the chest or something. Sometimes it can be a PITA, and other times it comese right off. Good luck.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I just worked at it by hand, you may be able to get a small putty knife in from the side to healp break the seal.

P.S. when putting the new shifter on, the wording is upside down, dont put shifter on so you can read logo.

svtwillie

Established Member
upsidedown shifter

Thanks Shadowgray03.

I wish someone had told me about the lettering. I had to take everything back off and turn it around to get it correct. WHY would Steeda put the lettering upside down. Its not like anyone can read it once installed!!!!!!:shrug:

Ricks2003Cobra

Established Member
Make sure you put a clean rag over the opening so when you clean off the RTV, it does not go down in the tranny. It's easy to do.

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
Easy job. I used the back of a wooden hammer and tapped ever so slightly, then I decided to tug with my manly strength.

It came off, but I left a chunk of skin on the surrounding plastic, so maybe wear some gloves...??? That's all I can add at this point.

Vaelin

Established Member
I actually used my socket wrench with the same socket I used to take out the bolts. Just slip it under the lip of the stock shifter, and keep pulling up.. a few taps and you'll knock it loose enough to just lift the whole shifter out.

I did this both with my V6 and Cobra.. makes it so quick.

jeffsavage

Established Member
Wow, thanks for the good advice everyone! Esp. about the lettering, otherwise I would have put it on backwards! I am going home to work on it!

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Mine came off with a simple pull; no pulling, prying, or hammering.
Use Permatex Hylomar for a seal between the trans and shifter.
Line up the old and new shifters during the install. One side is slightly shorter than the other.

Good luck, it's worth it.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
To get the stock shifter off, attach a Vice Grip to the base and give it a gentle pull. It will come right off.

I say gentle because on my 99GT, I gave mine a good yank and it came off so fast I almost smacked myself in the face with it. :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread