LATCH system for car seats?

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
The 2003 Mustang Owner's manual that came with my car says on pg 131 says,

"Your vehicle has LATCH anchors for child seat installation..."

And my car doesn't. Does anyone else's have it? The 2003 GT on the dealer lot does have it. It is a black metal bracket behind the bottom rear seat cushion that runs the width of the car. It has 4 big loops to clip tether straps onto that should make it much easier to get the seats securely fastened and greatly shorten the install/takeout time and hassle.

The dealer is clueless. 1800FORDSVT wasn't sure, but thought it should be there. My salesman says he will ask the parts guys to check again, but their 2003 books aren't in yet.

I got 2 new car seats to match the interior and demenor of the car;

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/catalog/childseat/childseatmain.html

and the LATCH anchor kits to go with them, and I'm still having to mess with the seat belts.:fm:

If anyone does have the bracket in a Cobra, please let me know so I can put more pressure on the dealer. If anyone with a 03 Mustang wants to lighten up their ride and unbolt this extra metal, I'll give it a good home.

Thanks,

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
Be Careful,

Unibody cars are not safe cars. I mean it's probably fine to drive your kids around in it every once in a while but I would be scared to do it every day.:nono:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
I want to know too?

I thought they (2003's) were legally required to have the LATCH system? Mine doesn't either :shrug:

My dealer was clueless as well. Let me know if you find out anything. You're right about the seatbelt setup... It's a real PITA

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Not fair :(

And you probably don't even want them do you???

I poked around on the internet and found "According to government regulations, two sets of anchors are required in the rear seat of vehicles made after September 1, 2002"

Which means that since my car (though it is an 03 model) was manufactured before that date I don't get them. Now I need to find out how much it will cost to have them added. (I feel a raping coming on :dw: )

Warp03Cobra

Community Racers
Established Member
I've got the Simpson seat in the back of the Cobra right now. It is sharp and it matches the sportiness of the car. The boy loves it! :coolman:

I felt around and didn't find the bracket or loops...but I may not have searched hard enough...I'll check again.

I've got an early build car, so that might be my reason...

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by Leadhead
Be Careful,

Unibody cars are not safe cars. I mean it's probably fine to drive your kids around in it every once in a while but I would be scared to do it every day.:nono:

Aren't most cars unibody? I'm not saying that the Mustang is the safest car around, but I don't think the fact that it lacks truck frame rails makes it unsafe. :shrug:

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
Darkhorse,

What's the build date on your car? You can find it at the top of the sticker on the inside of the driver's side door frame.

Mine was built in 8/02 and does not have the LATCH anchors. If your's was built before September, I'm going to really put pressure on the dealer to get the part and install it for me.

Thanks,

taronis

Banned
Be Careful,

Huh? What would you suggest? A pussy SUV?
What SCIENCE let you to conclude this bit of insite? Even VOLVOS are unibody!
Now, I'm not suggesting thet he roof the car with his kids in the back, but come on. Who is making a body-on-frame car these days? I know my old Oldsmobile 98 455 wasn't all that good in crashes. I absorbed all of the crash enegy!!!

Think CRUMPLE ZONES

now go and review your freshman physics.........:bash: I

kom

Established Member
Be Careful,

Unibody cars are not safe cars.

Where'd you come up with that? Just how many current "CARS" are made with a full frame? I don't think any. I think the incidence of higher injuries/death in Mustangs is directly related to the fact that younger, inexperienced drivers are, for the most part, the one that are operating them. I'll drive a properly designed unibody car any day.

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
Originally posted by NickSVT03
That car seat looks great, I just ordered one for my daughter! I have a black one in there now, but that simpson seat is awesome! thanks!:thumbsup:

They are great. I love the way they look in the car and they are nice and light. The only thing I don't like compared to other booster seats I've used is that the only way to adjust the strap length is on the back of the seat. That can be a problem when the seat is installed nice and tight, no way to get back there without undoing it. I guess it's a small price to pay for great style and light weight.

Enjoy!

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
TTT

Bringing back an old dead thread (that few really care about - sorry :( )

I'm wondering if anyone got any resolution here? :shrug:

I just called my dealer and they can't even give me a part number or price??? :??:

I probably shouldn't have to pay for them (many dealerships will retrofit their cars with the L.A.T.C.H. system at no cost to the consumer) but I hate wrestling with the seatbelt. The LATCH system is much easier to use.

If anyone has a part # and/or price for the LATCH kit and can tell me whether or not it's a DIY project (no welding, etc...) I would greatly appreciate it :-D

coleman

Established Member
maybe the new cars are on hold cuz they don't have this LATCH system....
which i can only assume is NOT what i'm using to secure my child's car seat ... on the rear dash between the speakers.

i'll need to research this LATCH system...
someone post a pic of their LATCH system.

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
oh, and post a link to this "Simpson" seat!

Here's the link for the car seat:

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...ldseatmain.html

The attachment points on the rear deck are the tether anchors. The LATCH system stands for Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children and is different than the upper anchors. I think the second run cars have the LATCH.

I recently got my Ford Service DVD from EBay and it doesn't give too much information except that it can be unbolted and removed. I will explore more tomorrow and post what I find.

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
FWIW, My first run has the LATCH system. Good luck in achieving resolution...
Cheers,
Pete

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by jumpinjackflash
<snipped> ...it doesn't give too much information except that it can be unbolted and removed. I will explore more tomorrow and post what I find.

Thanks for the info. That is actually one of the things I really wanted to know. I've finally talked my salesman into researching this and he said he's got the kit and it's free (free parts, free labor). I didn't want to let them touch my car though so I wanted to make sure it was a bolt on. Now I'm just going to go pick up the parts and do it myself. :thumbsup:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Well... I went to pick up the parts and they were the upper anchors and not the L.A.T.C.H. anchors (hoops) that go between the seat back and seat cushion. I walked the parts person back to a Cobra they had in the showroom and showed her the anchors I want (this was Monday). Three days later, they still haven't figured out what the part number is to order them???

If anybody here can figure it out and let me know (PM me if you want) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread