Late tax fee for previous years paid

Joewee500

Established Member
I received notices for my personal taxes as well as my business. The fee for each late notice was around $65. I am never late with bills. I know for a fact I was not late paying my taxes. This letter was not one for a difference in payment of what was paid and what was owed. It clearly said the fee was for late payment for tax filing year 2013.

My questions are: has anyone else received a late fee for filing their taxes on time? And how could someone prove that they sent their payment on time? If the check was sent certified over a year ago would there be record of that or could the Irs say oh well.

ssssnake

Established Member
Taxes. Hate 'em. I almost lost my house in Florida this year due to unpaid taxes. The house was purchased through my IRA, and my IRA custodian paid all of the tax years but 2010 even though the notice for every year after that stated that there was past due taxes.

You have to have proof that you mailed your payment timely. If you don't, you'll have to suck it up and pay your past due amount.

As a rule, for payment of taxes (property, state and Federal), you should mail your payment Certified Mail, return receipt requested. Take your certified mail to the Post Office and have them "date stamp" your receipt. Save that receipt. When the authorities tell you that you paid late, that receipt is your proof of timely filing, and you can tell them that they are wrong. I can't tell you how many times that proof of timely filling has benefitted our clients and have saved them money in penalties and interest. On that receipt, I also write the name of the taxpayer and what you are paying in the little square where they date stamp. Good luck.

Last edited:

motoman991

Banned
And people always say how much freedom we have. We can't even own property because the government claims everything circled by some lines on a map is their's.

sleek98

Established Member
You need to respond to the notice, with a copy of the certified receipt that you have as well as the tracking data printed out.

Also it is a bit odd that all late fees are $65 as a late fee is a % per month of the tax due with the return up to a % cap. Something doesn't sound right here. There should be a tax letter number up in the right hand corner what is it? ie CP2000 etc, that will tell what what section of the IRS is sending it.

What date did you file your tax return on for the years they are saying it is late? Also what date was the check mailed in (if you owed)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread