Launch Control on a GT?

danponjican

Established Member
I'm not an expert on how the launch control works on the 2012 Boss but it seems like it is just software. Shouldn't someone be able to build this into a custom tune for a 2011+ GT?

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
its part of the flash. I wish the mustang market had open ecu hackers like the evo/subie guys do. Then we'd all be able to flash our own cars without dealing with this BS.

D.T.R

Established Member
4k rpms 2 step =
datass.gif

danponjican

Established Member
4k rpms 2 step =
datass.gif

Not the point. It just seems like an easy thing to bake into a custom tune and why not have a setting where we can consistently set out launch rpm. I don't care how good you are, setting it electronically is always going to be more accurate then watching the gauge and trying to manually repeat the same RPM every launch.

D.T.R

Established Member
Not the point. It just seems like an easy thing to bake into a custom tune and why not have a setting where we can consistently set out launch rpm. I don't care how good you are, setting it electronically is always going to be more accurate then watching the gauge and trying to manually repeat the same RPM every launch.

Do you comprehend how a 2 step works? :dw:

danponjican

Established Member
Do you comprehend how a 2 step works? :dw:

Yes I do (didn't understand your first reference to it, but figured it out in jymboslice's post). Here again though, this is not the point of my question. I have no doubt that the MSD 2 step is a great mod to have for a serious race car. I was more curious about what comes in the factory Boss program and wondering why it never made it to custom tunes for GTs. Seems like a nice "freebie" to distinguish tuners (similar to what some have done with the ghost idle in the tune).

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yes I do (didn't understand your first reference to it, but figured it out in jymboslice's post). Here again though, this is not the point of my question. I have no doubt that the MSD 2 step is a great mod to have for a serious race car. I was more curious about what comes in the factory Boss program and wondering why it never made it to custom tunes for GTs. Seems like a nice "freebie" to distinguish tuners (similar to what some have done with the ghost idle in the tune).

The answer is because the tuning software available lacks the ability to change or create those values.

If it was easy, or even remotely accessible, tuners WOULD be doing it.

It's the same reason only a few tuners ever put out cam tunes. The software lacks the access to specific values to make it run right. Only those individuals with enough knowledge and resources to actually get at the entire programmable PCM were able to do it.

Even then, many suffered from issues such as check engine lights, stalling and generally poor driving dynamics.

If you can open up all of the code in the PCM, you can do it. Right now, nobody has. Either they've tried and failed, or haven't tried at all.

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member
If you have a tuner you have a two step but to change the setting you have to load the tune every time(sucks). It is your neutral RPM setting in sct change parameters. As long as the car not moving the RPM will not go any higher then that setting when the car moves its off. works grate when you get it dialed in.

Users who are viewing this thread