Launch control on an Auto?

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
So I am ready to hit the track again with my 6A 5.0. I am installing some 3.55's and plan to run some 28 inch slicks on pro stars which I am borrowing to see how they work. My buddy suggested a "launch control" that he installed recently in a GT 500 and said it allowed him launch at a preset RPM at the push of a button. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this?

In my last trip to the track I tried to foot brake the car on 17inch drag radials and launch from a higher rpm, but I actually got a better 60ft and better time when I just mashed the throttle from idle. Some people told me that flashes the converter and results in a better launch. However with such a tall tire I would really love to be able to launch harder. I would love to hear from some of our Auto drag racers out there.

Also I know these cars run quicker times with a 3.27 or 3.31 but I really want the 3.55 for daily driving as the stock 3.15's are just too damn lazy for me in climbing the rpms. The taller slick should make up for it and make the launch fun and handle the super low 1st gear.

Last edited:

WHITEMACH

Established Member
like a 2 step ,,but his car is a manual and yours is a auto,you would need a transbrake and a converter. just my .02 but a 3.73/4.10 with no converter is going to 60 ft harder and et better and if you do the math after 1st gear the gear ratios will mirror a 3.73 geared stick. just my .02

Last edited:

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
like a 2 step ,,but his car is a manual and yours is a auto,you would need a transbrake and a converter. just my .02 but a 3.73/4.10 with no converter is going to 60 ft harder and et better and if you do the math after 1st gear the gear ratios will mirror a 3.73 geared stick. just my .02

Converter is in the plans (Circle D is a $1k mod). I have the 3.55's already I will give them a shot. I am thinking of the transbrake as well. I think I will try with just the gears and slicks and then take it from there. Thanks and see on the 12th!

Users who are viewing this thread