Lawsuit against Ford for lack of HP

SL 1993 R

Established Member
Came across an article in the Dec 24 issue of Autoweek. The state attorney generals office in Florida is addressing a complaint that the 1999 Ford SVT Cobra was possibly falsely advertised with 320 hp. The AG there expects to "address damage done to the resale value of 1999 Cobras, and whether or not Ford should pay a fine to the state and/or Cobra owners."

The article was written by Steve Cole Smith.
The attorney handling this is from the Econonic Crimes Division of the Florida Attorneys General office. His name is Robert Julian.

Some of you 1999 Cobra owners might want to check into this a little further...

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
1) Recalls are mostly complete to get the horsepower up.
2) Lawsuit is very old.
3) There many more Class action suits than that one.

Most of them come from disgruntled owners that found out they couldn't afford them, or tried to change their mind.

But thanks for noticing.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Yeah that's looong been taken care of.
The new issue is the '01's "Pinging", but not all cars and no recalls to my knowledge.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT X 2
Yeah that's looong been taken care of.
The new issue is the '01's "Pinging", but not all cars and no recalls to my knowledge.
Customer of mine says he had a ping but he switched to synthetic and runs octane booster and it goes away. He believes in keeping cars in factory built staus. He thinks they get worse when you crack 'em open.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Interesting....
You shouldn't have to resort to using octane booster in a new vehicle that is factory stock that's for sure! :eek:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Solution:

Free supply of Octane Booster while you own the vehicle paid for by Ford... :rolling:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by johnboy00

Only if the car won't run right (pings) on lower octane. Unnecessarily higher octane actually hinders performance a bit.
Right, but the point was that a factory new car shouldn't be pinging and shouldn't need octane boost to run correctly everyday.

Now if you have it tweaked (blower, turbo) and wanna up the anty, then yea... you can gain more out of the octane boost and other adjustments...

Users who are viewing this thread