LCA vs UCA and Barton Bracket/Blowfish

Dfink114

Established Member
Howdy Howdy,

So recently I've gotten into drag racing. But I'm having trouble putting the power down. My best run was 13.2 @ 110, but I either get too much wheel hop, or I get locked out of 4th gear shifting at high RPMs.

Here is the wheel hop:
[video]youtu.be/O7PyR57RWn4[/video]

Would I be better off getting LCA or UCA to help with this? Should I be looking at adjustable or non-adjustable?

Here is me getting locked out of 4th gear. This happened 60% of the time that day:
[video]youtu.be/7zGJeY_0Xiw[/video]

Would the Barton two post bracket solve this problem? I know a lot of people like the blowfish bracket, but the Barton is a third of the price. I thought I'd start with that and see if that helps. If others could point me in the right direction, information would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a video of my best run. Gotta love those Borlas.
[video]youtu.be/iOmH96hwd3k[/video]

Thanks for the info guys!

Last edited:

Angry50

Established Member
I personally like the blowfish. but the 2 post is good. what RPM are you shifting? ive never been locked out of 4th? have you removed the helper spring?

Dfink114

Established Member
I personally like the blowfish. but the 2 post is good. what RPM are you shifting? ive never been locked out of 4th? have you removed the helper spring?

I'm shifting around 6500 RPM, or whatever is close to redline. I have the stock manifold. I've removed the helper spring from the clutch, since it would stick to the floor at high RPM.

Voltwings

Established Member
I've noticed if i try to pull straight down from 3rd to 4th i will miss. A friend of mine made the comment he felt the shifter go slightly to the right, so i tried changing my grip.

Basically, when shifting from 3-4, i roll my hand over (thumb more towards the bottom, and pinky more towards the top of the shifter) and pull down. This grip naturally moves the shifter a hair to the right when pulling down and i hit 4th every time. You gotta be precise with the shifts, these MT-82 arent very forgiving.

Angry50

Established Member
the barton I think would solve that issue. but I never was locked out of 4th even factory. shifting at 6500 should be good on other aspects. if it was me id probably try a 2 post and go from there. I don't have wheel hop but I hear LCA has been enough to stop it for most

86Fbody

Established Member
I wouldn't mess around with any other bracket than the BFR bracket if you are having alignment issues. I went from stock to the BFR bracket so I can't speak for other brackets effectiveness, however many people have either switched or added the BFR bracket in the case of those with MGW's and they even say there is improvement. Yeah you will save money but if it happens to not fix your issue your now have to pay 1.333 times the price of the BFR bracket rather than just buying it in the first place. Also like Voltwings suggested your shifting "style" could cause you issues, I recently had a huge oopsie when shifting from 3rd to 4th because I would hold the shifter with a closed fist which can cause the shifter to move towards yourself. Try shifting into forth the same may you would into 6th, open palm towards the passenger side of the car and down.

On LCA's do some research, some people have the issue solved with LCA's some with a UCA some with just springs and some with the whole shabang. I would think to go with a stiffer UCA so keep the axle from coming up anymore, if you call BMR I am sure someone there could help you with the issue.

Last edited:

SD_Stang

Established Member
4th is the easiest gear to hit and the shortest throw on the stock shifter also by that time the engine is not under loads of torque like 1 to 2. LCA's will help with the wheel hop in some cases UCA is needed and sometimes it is not. Shifter is more of a driver mod and will certianly reduce the deflection of the stock bushing and reduce the throw even further making it easier on you. The Blowfish bracket looks pretty solid and you get a saftey loop to boot, if you plan on getting the Blowfish item you don't need the two post just the shifter. So keep that in mind so your not spending more money.

LCA's would be the first area you could try and just take a little more time on the 3 to 4 hitting the shift until you get the bracket or shifter.

Last edited:

CALIF BOSS302

Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to try the Barton Bracket by itself first. If that doesn't fix it, I'll move onto the Blowfish. The Barton is 1/3 of the price (even less since I'm looking for used) so we'll see what happens. As for LCA, I was thinking these BMRs. http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1280&superpro=0

Dfink, my 2013 Boss came with the stock shifter and the Barton 2 post rear bracket. I removed both and installed an MGW shifter that was night and day on shifting. After a week I installed the Blowfish Bracket and now its PERFECT. Shifts are smooth and precise. No lock out at all. If you are drag racing you will need the Blowfish Bracket. The Barton will be a bit better but not enough.

Send me your address and I'll ship you my Barton 2 post for FREE! I have no use for it now that I have the MGW and Blowfish. I'll just "pay it forward" to you and maybe you can do the same for another Guy down the road.

CALIF BOSS302

Established Member
No problem . . .let me know where to send it. Just don't sell it if it doesn't work for you . . .pay it forward to someone else.

PM with the address and I'll send it out tomorrow.

86Fbody

Established Member
Dfink, my 2013 Boss came with the stock shifter and the Barton 2 post rear bracket. I removed both and installed an MGW shifter that was night and day on shifting. After a week I installed the Blowfish Bracket and now its PERFECT. Shifts are smooth and precise. No lock out at all. If you are drag racing you will need the Blowfish Bracket. The Barton will be a bit better but not enough.

Send me your address and I'll ship you my Barton 2 post for FREE! I have no use for it now that I have the MGW and Blowfish. I'll just "pay it forward" to you and maybe you can do the same for another Guy down the road.

You win today's internets.

CALIF BOSS302

Established Member
that's cool stuff. let everyone try it. then tell them to buy blowfish lol
You win today's internets.

HAHA! Once I installed the MGW I knew there was no going back to stock shifter with the Barton bracket. Over on BMO there are those that are having NVH with the Blowfish and stock shifters. I have a little bit more vibration than with just the MGW but nothing I can't live with. For me the combo of MGW and Blowfish seem very stable and any RPM going into any gear (so far). If the Barton could be mounted to the Blowfish that might be a good solution since it has the 2 posts with a rubber bushing to help with reducing the vibrations (like the MGW rear bracket). The Blowfish rear bracket has no rubber bushing so while super sturdy, may pass vibrations up through the box.

It was just going to sit in my garage anyway this way someone might get some use out it.

BMR Tech

Wow. That's awesome. Love seeing members do stuff like that.

I'd love to give you those $89 LCA too...but.... lol

Looks like you may possibly get quite a bit of improvement now, for the hefty price of $89.95. Making threads can work wonders!

If you have any questions for me, lmk!

stags

Established Member

Looks like you may possibly get quite a bit of improvement now, for the hefty price of $89.95. Making threads can work wonders!

Dammit Kelly why do you always have to go and make it impossible for me to keep money in my checking account?

But seriously not to hijack but what are the differences in terms of performance between your 3 fixed length poly bushing LCA kits?

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Dammit Kelly why do you always have to go and make it impossible for me to keep money in my checking account?

But seriously not to hijack but what are the differences in terms of performance between your 3 fixed length poly bushing LCA kits?

LOL! Sorry about that!

ACA004: (Poly/Poly) - $349.95
-95 Durometer Bushings / Zinc Coated Sleeved and Zinc Coated Grease Fittings
-1-Piece Billet Aluminum (only 1-piece [integrated offset] LCA on market, to my knowledge)
-Black anodized body, laser etched logo
-OE on Shelby Super Snakes, Prudhomme Edition, and the S1000's.
-Weighs 4.5lbs/each

TCA019: (Poly/Poly) - $139.95
-Mild Steel, 2" x 1.5" Boxed Tubing
-TIG Welded
-Available in Bare, Hammertone or Red Powdercoat
-Weighs 4lbs/each

TCA032: (Poly/Poly) - $89.95
-Mild Steel, 2" x 1" Boxed Tubing
-MIG Welded
-Available in Bare, Hammertone or Red Powdercoat
-Weighs 3.5lbs/each

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the TCA032 to anyone. The bushings will be the weak point, and those are the same bushings, sleeves and fittings that are in the ACA004....which are just about the highest quality LCA on the planet for an S197 Mustang.

I can say with confidence, there is not a better bang for the buck - than the value of our TCA032 LCA. Save 5lbs....gain tremendous axle stability / reduce wheel-hop, for $89, pure win.

if you give me LCAs ill buy more stuff from you :)

If it were only that easy! :D

Last edited:

Dfink114

Established Member

Thanks Kelly. I appreciate all the info. I'm a music teacher and it's Marching Band season, so I'll probably have to wait on those LCAs until next spring. I don't have any free weekends to go to the track until after November, but I'm afraid it'll be too cold.

CALIF BOSS302

Established Member
Hey Dfink you Barton Bracket is on the way . . . good luck and keep us posted on the progress! I'll send you a tracking number in a PM

Thanks Kelly. I appreciate all the info. I'm a music teacher and it's Marching Band season, so I'll probably have to wait on those LCAs until next spring. I don't have any free weekends to go to the track until after November, but I'm afraid it'll be too cold.

Users who are viewing this thread