Lcp or cm9 for pocket carry

scorched

Established Member
Hey guys how's it going?

I am in search of some opinions and experience. I am in the market for a pocket carry gun, and I have narrowed it down to 2 guns. I either want the ruger lcp or the kahr cm9. I know the lcp would make a better pocket gun, but I am unsure of if I want a .380 for a carry pistol, even if will only see summer use. I would much prefer a 9mm. I currently only shoot and carry glocks (I have a 23 and a 27), so I do not want any gun with a safety or an external hammer. The 27 is my primary carry, but in the summer in a t shirt it is slightly tough to conceal and I just want a pocket gun for a quick trip out.

What do you guys recommend? Experiences pocketing the cm9? I have read of some people saying its the perfect size, and others saying its too large. I cannot decide which route I want to go.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help
Jake

Digital

Established Member
I have the LCP with crimson trace laser, 13# spring and load +p buffalo bore jacketed hallow points when carrying. If you compare that setup to any "regular" 9mm platform it'll be the same if not more "powerful." The only downside of the LCP is the extremely limited range do to the shortness of the barrel and if you have bigger hands it has a tendency to move around in your hand while trying to send accurate follow up shots.

If you want a pocket pistol though I'd go 100% with the LCP. If you're worried about stopping power or accuracy I'd shelf your whole pocket carry plan and go straight to IWB carry and go with a compact glock 4-something.

(On a side note I have a J-frame revolver in 38 and a LC9 which is the bigger brother of the LCP and while they are slightly more accurate and easier to hold for rapid fire the LCP wins in spades do to the ability to slip into tighter jeans almost unnoticed to its wearer.)

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
I have a Ruger LCP and my friend has the Kel Tec both are 99% identical and shoot the same. No safety though, just a double action trigger which is fine honestly. As said its not accurate at a distance, but you probably wont ever need it for more than 10 feet or so~ I would order a wallet holster for it to carry it in your back pocket (got one from ebay for 31 bucks shipped). I have regular size hands and its fine for me, hurts after a few reloads but its not bad overall. Recoil SUCKS on it but its just because its so darn small.

jbs$

Established Member
Stay with the Glocks, try a 26, or one of the single stack .45's. There is nothing wrong with their trigger or safety system.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I have not used either of the models you listed. A friend of mine has the Ruger LCP and he likes it.

For pocket carry I would suggest a S&W J frame revolver. They make a hammerless design that is very smooth and easy to conceal and draw from a pocket. I have 2, a model 442 which is an ultralight .38+P and I just got a M&P model 340 which is a .357. These I carry in my front pocket using a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. They are very easy to conceal in the summer when wearing shorts and a T shirt. Being lightweight they don't feel like they are pulling your pants down.

When I don't feel comfortable concealing my Glock 30SF I carry one of the J frames.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
My step brother recently picked up an XDs 45 to carry. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but it fit my hand pretty good and is pretty small for a 45.

Machdup1

Established Member
Stay with the Glocks, try a 26, or one of the single stack .45's. There is nothing wrong with their trigger or safety system.

This.. Better yet, move up to a Glock 19 and call it a day.

GoingHaam

Established Member
The Springfield XD9sc, has caught my eye recently because of it high capacity and small size.... The XDs (45 cal) also deserves a look, I would say the XDs is the best conceal guns out right now but 5 rounds its what keeping me from being completely sold...

Since the ruger is on your list check out the LC9, my friend carriers one and loves it. say its so light he forget he has it.

chinchilla

Established Member
I carry a glock 19/30 in shorts and a t-shirt all the time, my dad carries a cm9 and loves it, it is not difficult to shoot or conceal. Unfortunately I have no experience with the lcp.
I do however share your reservations about the .380 so I would go with the cm9

SHOdown220

Established Member
The Springfield XD9sc, has caught my eye recently because of it high capacity and small size.... The XDs (45 cal) also deserves a look, I would say the XDs is the best conceal guns out right now but 5 rounds its what keeping me from being completely sold...

Since the ruger is on your list check out the LC9, my friend carriers one and loves it. say its so light he forget he has it.

Can't go wrong with the xdsc, I have a .40 that I carry. Ive put a lot of ammo through it from the cheapest target ammo to high quality defense ammo and it has never had a failure. However I just picked up a full size m&p that I love so I'm looking at a compact version or the shield to add to the collection

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a CM9 for the summer. So far 1000+ rounds through it been 100% reliable. Very accurate for its size as well. I love it.

scorched

Established Member
I already have a glock 23 and a 27. I just want something to slip in my pocket for a quick trip out. I am leaning towards the cm9, because its a 9mm and I have a bunch of 9 rounds. Not sold on a .380 but the lcp is so tiny. I have shot it, but damn that trigger is obnoxious

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I know someone will probably be in to bash me in short order but I found the Taurus TCP to fit my hand better than the LCP or CM9 and I found the trigger to be the best out of any small .380 I shot. It's not the best looking gun but for a BUG or a summer gun, it fits the bill.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're wanting a cheaper but still very reliable 9mm pocket pistol perhaps you also might look at the DB9. My co-worker has one and it has been flawless, utterly reliable with every type of ammo that we have fed it at the range. No ftf/fte...nothing. Not only that, since you're comfortable with Glocks it should fit your hand very well as it's very similar both pattern wise and function wise, yet the size is comparable to the LCP which is very nice. No external hammers or safeties to get hung in the pocket.

My FIL has the LCP and it's okay, no problems, but as you say I would rather have the 9. Kahr makes a very good gun though so I don't think you could go wrong. Just food for thought.

tistan

Established Member
I carry a Kahr cm9, but only in a waistband holster. It is not really small enough to slip in my pocket and still be comfortable or concealed.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Get the new Glock 30S. Slim frame and slim slide

30S is close to the same size as a 19, just thinner. The 26/27 are much smaller.

The XDS is about as big as I'd want to go for pocket carry - it'll give you that big 230gr .45, but you're limited to 5+1. The new XD9 is the same sub-compact, single stack setup - not sure on capacity for those, though.

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
+1 on the LC9, like noted above better accuracy and easier rapid fire than the LCP. I have a LC9 and had an LCP(sold it), I prefer the LC9 over the LCP. Not to mention the LC9 is still very ideal for deep concealment.

scorched

Established Member
I have shot an lc9. There are just too many 'safety features' that I dont want. Mag disconnect, external safety and loaded chamber indicator. Dont want any of it on a carry pistol unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread