LDC Chicago Clutch Freeplay Kit adjustment

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
I don't know why I waited until now to ask, maybe because I no longer have the contact info for LDC? Anyway, about the adjustment on this thing......How do you know when it is adjusted properly? I have a squeak or chirp everytime I push in the clutch pedal and I traced it to the spring from the freeplay kit moving against the tube from the kit when the clutch pedal is pushed in.........does this mean that I need to tighten the cable more with the firewall adjuster? I'm using the Fiore clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster.

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
There is absolutely no adjustment to this kit. Slap it on and it does the job. If you are getting any squeaking, try and add a very small amount of brake grease to the metal to metal contact points to easy the ears (spring ends, washer). I actually used extra washers with this kit to help keep the pedal even tighter when not engaged.

Last edited:

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
I did try wrapping some tape around the black tube where it contacts the spring and that helped very temporarily. I was going to stop by Home Depot and pick up two more springs and tubes so that I can make up two more kits for my other SN95 cars; I can try some of those thin plastic washers they have and see if that takes care of it. I was just curious if anyone else experienced this squeak too. Thanks!

Last edited:

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
Have you checked to see if the noise isn't coming from the clutch arm?

the fork? there are only three contact points on that arm; the fingers for the throwout bearing which are greased, the pivot point that the ball stud mounts into which is also greased and the through-hole for the clutch cable which I have a rubber washer.

Unless you mean something else for the clutch arm? Like for the clutch pedal shaft and quadrant mount points?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Mine doesn't squeak, but it makes a little clicking type noise sometimes when I push the clutch in. Doesn't do it every time and isn't hurting anything, so I just let it go.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
I bought a different spring from the True Value store near where I live and installed it on my '95 v6 mustang. No noise whatsoever with the homemade kit that I put together from True Value.

Users who are viewing this thread