Leakdown results good or bad?

Machinator

Banned
I bought a compression tester and geuss what all 8 cylinders were inbetween 155-170psi, is that good or bad? If its ok then I am still at a loss as to why my trap speed in the 1/8 mile was so low. I have a dfx clutch so i hope that is not the problem. Guys please chime in!

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The "compression test" results appear to be fine...all within a normal percentage of each other.

A "leakdown test" is another test entirely and is not to be confused with a "compression test".

Machinator

Banned
IronTerp said:
The "compression test" results appear to be fine...all within a normal percentage of each other.

A "leakdown test" is another test entirely and is not to be confused with a "compression test".

I did misword it sorry, the car is going back to Texas with me and will be at Murillos soon.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
also comp test should be done with the engine at full operating temp. to be completely accurate. a cold engine may give false low and erratic readings. you also dont want a large spread between the highest and lowest reading between cylinders.

FYI: i tested mine cold too and had 160-175 :rolleyes: because i was lazy :p

Last edited:

Machinator

Banned
93cobra#3326 said:
also comp test should be done with the engine at full operating temp. to be completely accurate. a cold engine may give false low and erratic readings. you also dont want a large spread between the highest and lowest reading between cylinders.

FYI: i tested mine cold too and had 160-175 :rolleyes: because i was lazy :p

I warmed the car up and these were the temps. I have a theory about cars that have high compression test results and its not good. We know that some of these engines came with pistons way to tight in the bores and I think these high psi's that some people have when they test the motor isnt good.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Machinator said:
I warmed the car up and these were the temps. I have a theory about cars that have high compression test results and its not good. We know that some of these engines came with pistons way to tight in the bores and I think these high psi's that some people have when they test the motor isnt good.
Another possible explanantion is varying deck heights which shrink the combustion chamber.......

Machinator

Banned
IronTerp said:
Another possible explanantion is varying deck heights which shrink the combustion chamber.......

I had never thought of this, I would have thought the QA department would catch that but it is a very viable explanation.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Machinator said:
I had never thought of this, I would have thought the QA department would catch that but it is a very viable explanation.

I'm not so sure these engines had a QC/QA department! :eek:

Regardless, variance in deck height is exactly why you don't compare compression test results from both banks. You want the LH cylinders to be within a certain range of each other, and the same for the RH cylinders.

WDW MKR

Established Member
I think you want less than 5% variance between the cylinders in each bank (1-4 and 5-8). A 15psig difference would be almost 10%. That still isn't terrible, but might be reason for a leakdown test to ensure everything is cool.

Users who are viewing this thread