Leaking Rear Differential Poll - Catback or NOT

cobra101

Established Member
I have been hearing that the rear differential leak is caused by heat from the aftermarket catbacks (sitting closer to diff.)

Please take the poll and let's see if this is the case.

bnglcat

Established Member
I vote "Where's the poll and what is the specific question?"

I had mine start leaking. Was told it was the catback. When they installed the BF Brace and resealed it, they left the tips sticking out like 5 inches from the back to make more room...I remidied this problem....

I don't believe it was the cat back...but a result of my launches.

N S

Wants to go faster
Established Member
I had excess sealant around the outside of the rear differential that burned off after the installation of the bassani catback, but it didn't leak.

cobra101

Established Member
Doh! My browser crashed when it went to the following screen to add poll...

Now there is no question. It was to be:

1) no leak
2) leak - no Catback
3)Leak with catback

Oh well...

Ps. I am going to see if ford will put on the brace when they fix the leak. They fixed it once so there should be no warranty issues with my pulley.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
cobra101 said:
I have been hearing that the rear differential leak is caused by heat from the aftermarket catbacks (sitting closer to diff.)

bsflag.gif
x10000

It is caused by a weak eggshell of a diff cover and only RTV as a gasket.

Brace it before it leaks and it will last.

Exhaust has nothing to do with it, period.

Read the RED PILL while you are at it. :)

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
I agree with Postban.

While we are on the subject (warning, thread hijack)

The dealership recently rebuilt my differential (I had the 35 to 45 mph noise). The noise went away but now there is a different noise. It sounds like a weird high pitch squeal while whenever the driveline "tightens" up in 5th gear going at 35 mph.

The dealership is blaming the B-flow brace. I really don't buy it but I have to take it off before they will agree to work on it.

Did the dealership just not set the backlash and tooth pattern correctly?

cobra101

Established Member
well, Final story is the cobra is going to ford. They will NOT install a irs brace because it is not a ford part. They said they wil not install any aftermarket parts, Not even at my own cost.

So, it looks like ford will be redoing this every 10k miles (or less).

I will ask and see if they use the "TA31 Diesel sealant". I hear thats the best.

Ps. Does ford make an irs brace for our cars? I bet they would install that if it exists.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
cobra101 said:
well, Final story is the cobra is going to ford. They will NOT install a irs brace because it is not a ford part. They said they wil not install any aftermarket parts, Not even at my own cost.Not surprised at all...
Take it on yourself to do the job, it is very easy.

So, it looks like ford will be redoing this every 10k miles (or less).

I will ask and see if they use the "TA31 Diesel sealant". I hear thats the best. It works, so does Permatex Ultra Grey at 1/5 the cost. I tested it to 650+rwhp...

Ps. Does ford make an irs brace for our cars? I bet they would install that if it exists.

Ford does not make an IRS cover brace. It is only available from the aftermarket

cobra101

Established Member
thanks for the speedy reply. I dont have the time, space, or tools to do it myself. I will let ford do it again and see which sealant they are using.

thanks again

03SonicStang

Established Member
mine just started leaking at 10K; Magna Flow cat back and BF Brace. So is draining and resealing the cover that big of a project? Any suggestions for someone that has never done one? Do you have to drop the IRS? Thanks and sorry for the Hyjack!

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Stock cat back dif leaked at about 7k...

I'm thinking about putting heat wrap on the cat back....

To PROTECT THE CAT BACK!!!!....lol

Diff probably gets hotter that the pipes do back that far!!! 280F is common even just highway driving :nonono:
It's one of the reasons the LSD clutches go out so quick...
Not that open track is hard on them or anything :)

03SonicStang

Established Member
Just got back from the Dealer; they will not touch the leaky diff because of the Brace. Oh well, I got under the car and it looks like the bottom bolt is the breach. So I might just try to take the bolt out clean it up smear some silicone on the bolt and cross my fingers! If not, going to drop the IRS and upgrade everything I can afford!

Users who are viewing this thread