Leaking Strut Qusetion

uofipilot

Established Member
So, if you read my other thread, I installed a pair of Tokico Illuminas a few days ago.

I bought them off a member here a few months ago. When I got them, they looked beat to shit for the alleged 3,000 miles on them. I PMed the guy, and he said they were only on the car for 3k miles and they were in good shape, and all the scratches/chipped paint on the struts was from coilovers. Whatever, sounded good at the time, so I let it go at that.

A day or two after the install, my old man calls me and tells me he thinks I have an oil leak because there are oil puddles under where my car was parked (about 4 inches in diameter after only a few hours of sitting). I put it up on our lift to fine the entire drivers side control arm, brake caliper, strut, wheel, inside of the tire, and a portion of the K covered in oil. It appears to be coming from the bottom weld on the strut where the "bracket" is welded onto the strut (if you can picture what I'm trying to say).

SO, long story short, if the strut is in fact leaking, is there anything to do other than buy a new one? From what I understand, the gas shocks are still filled with an oil. I would imagine that once any amount of that fluid "escapes" it would throw off the entire balance of the construction of the strut, rendering it more or less useless. I'd estimate that it has already lost between 3-4 tablespoons of fluid.

I guess I answered my own question, but I'm sort of pissed. I don;t see how I could have done any damage to the strut whatsoever by installing it. The seller had a good trader rating on here too, so I don't know what to think. :nonono: I guess the moral is to not buy used stuff.

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
As the old saying goes...... "Lo Barato, Sale Caro"

Just buy a new one. Best thing you could do for yourself after getting ripped off if you ask me.

Edit: Well, I take it back. Some things just go to S. Are the other 3 in good shape?

Last edited:

Toasty

Established Member
Leaking strut==replace strut. They cannot be repaired.

I'd be inclined to replace both struts at the same time with new pieces.

uofipilot

Established Member
As the old saying goes...... "Lo Barato, Sale Caro"

I guess so. It just sucks that on a site like this there's people that might screw you. I've bought a number of other things off this site, and everyone has been stand-up with no issues.

Just buy a new one. Best thing you could do for yourself after getting ripped off if you ask me.

I can't really say that I've been ripped off, but it certainly does look that way, doesn't it?

Edit: Well, I take it back. Some things just go to S. Are the other 3 in good shape?

I only bought the front two struts. The other one appears to be fine. The first time I drove it after replacing them, I was really happy with the ride quality.

Leaking strut==replace strut. They cannot be repaired.

I'd be inclined to replace both struts at the same time with new pieces.

Kind of what I figured. I'll see if I think I need them both. It would really suck to just have flushed $200 down the drain and have to buy another pair for $320.

Last edited:

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
I try to buy anything like that new, if you cant tell the milage and the milage counts, its better to buy new in my opinion. Sucks you got burnt though.

Users who are viewing this thread