Leaking T-56...Check out this photo

Michael Riola

Established Member
bP0yuBc.png

I'm losing a moderate amount of fluid through this vent. Any explanations anyone? I dyed the engine oil to see if it was that but it did not show up as engine oil under the black light. Thanks for your time.

TRBO VNM

Only way it is trans fluid is if the seal in the TOB sleeve is leaking and at that, the fluid level isn't that high in the case, but I guess it could leak from there. What color is the fluid? Have you checked the level in the trans?

Maybe engine coolant? Leaking from tube under blower?

Michael Riola

Established Member
The fluid is red. My trans fluid was low so I filled it last year. It is not a very
fast leak but it may drip a couple of drops after driving for an hour or more.

TRBO VNM

Sounds like you need to replace the sleeve. I don't know if you can get just a seal for it. I would think you can, but I have never had to check. There may also be a npt plug in the front cover. Maybe that is leaking and you just need to remove it and put new sealant on it.

Take the inspection cover off the driver side and look up in there. Maybe you can see where it is coming from.

Michael Riola

Established Member
By inspection cover do you mean the clutch connection cover? Also, what do you mean npt plug can you elaborate on the acronym? And what sleeve? The input shaft sleeve?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
NPT= National Pipe Thread. Its a unit of measure when referencing size of fittings. Another popular being AN fittings.

The inspection cover Jason is referring to is indeed the clutch cable "inspection cover." You need to remove the single bolt and take a look inside. At the end of the day, if you have confirmed that it is transmission fluid and you know its not coming from the shifter base (leaking down the side, wind cand do tricky things with fluid) due to bad sealing, the transmission needs to be removed to repair. Once removed the leak should become easily apparent.

fastferndog

Established Member
I'm no T56 expert but the bearing retainer has a seal in it and I've seen them completely break off and cause leaks, so far that was my only experience with that Trans till now.

Users who are viewing this thread