leaky 96 radiator, help me choose a new one

Mark185

Established Member
I'm pretty new to the forum. Just bought a 96 mystic about 2 weeks ago, had a 98 V6 for about 3 years before this. Well, I found out my radiator has a leak yesterday. I know there was a TSB for the 96 and cooling problems. So my options are:

- get a stock replacement 96 radiator (will cooling be ok this way?)

-get a stock 97 radiator ... I am pretty sure the TSB used the 97 radiator. What are the differences? Will I need a 97 fan too?

Which is the better choice. This engine will remain stock so not really looking to upgrade the radiator.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The major problem with the 96 was the A/C condensor, not the radiator. (Too many fins per inch didn't allow good airflow)
The TSB switched everything to the 97 set up.
To do that you are looking at over 1K.

Most who didn't have the TSB done went to a fluidyne or Steeda aluminum radiator and had good luch with that.
It would cost you less than 1/2.

I don't think you can do just the 97 rad. cause the brackets are different so you would have to do it all to the 97 set up.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Even if you do the 97 Rad. it won't do any good without the A/C condensor so if your not having issues other than the leak your cheapest way out is to just replace the rad.

Last edited:

Mark185

Established Member
I thought the 97's radiator might have been bigger than the 96. Looks like I will probably go with stock replacement, new rad hoses and probably a 180 Tstat. Thanks!

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
I have a used '97 radiator available for $50 plus UPS. I took it out at 40K miles to put in a Steeda two-core to solve cooling issues derived from supercharging.

To determine whether a stock '97 is interchangable I called my friend in a stealership's parts department to check on part numbering for '96 and '97. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. And while a crash-salvaged (that's what she called it) '97 radiator lists for $386, a '96 lists for $2,000!!!!

Steeda lists a couple of different units ranging from $440 to $480. They also mention that if a '96 has had the TSB for cooling issues done by Ford the replacement radiator must be a '97 because the TSB changed brackets and mounting.

My old radiator is available if you can determine that your car had the TSB changes done to it.

For comparison's sake, here's a pix of the top right radiator mounting bracket. The radiator has a vertical post (about 1/2" diameter) that sticks up thru a rubber bushing in the bracket, which is bolted to the crossmember. There is an opposite-hand version of this bracket on the leftside. Removing the radiator (with the fan attached) requires (after removal of the expansion tank and support) that you undo the hoses, unplug the fan wire, remove these two mounting brackets, and lift the radiator/fan shroud/fan motor/fan-assembly straight up.

2ai0hz5.jpg

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
The Fluidyne radiator is very popular, and the price isn't all that bad. Here's a photo of one sitting next to an OEM ...

radiator.jpg

JasonSnake

Established Member
mark,does your car have any mods such as a cooler thermostat? As far as I know, using a much cooler thermostat without programming can actually harm the radiator and heater core since the fan does not come on earlier to relieve the pressure.....assuming that you are doing a lot of city driving and not much highway.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
JasonSnake said:
mark,does your car have any mods such as a cooler thermostat? As far as I know, using a much cooler thermostat without programming can actually harm the radiator and heater core since the fan does not come on earlier to relieve the pressure.....assuming that you are doing a lot of city driving and not much highway.

That's a new one!

Users who are viewing this thread