Leaky Brake Fluid Reservoir

03Cobra745

I'm having a problem with my brake fluid reservoir leaking onto my valve cover and removing the finish. I plan on having Ford replace both, under warranty, but I'm concerned that it will just happen again.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
No leak with my reservoir-You probably just have a bad one.
I'll bet you won't have a problem again when it gets replaced.
The brake reservoir certainly should not leak in any way.

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
I just thought of something-Sometimes the lid is
not secured properly because you have to push down
when closing it to lock it in properly. Check that also.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Mine was leaking from the seal by the firewall and would drip down to the exhaust. It was pretty bad, but got replaced under warranty and now seems to be fine.

stevieb

Established Member
Heres what I think is the problem is; The cap is vented and a normal passenger car the fluid doesnt slosh around like it does in our very docile Cobras;-) so it is seeping from the cap.
What I was going to do on mine is get a foam air filter for a enduro bike, not sure if the size yet, and fit it around the reservoir. That way it will absorb the fluid and you can catch it before it drips. My .02

03Cobra745

stevieb,

You hit the nail on the head! I like your idea about sticking something inside the cap to allow breathing, but prevent leaking. I'll have to give it a whirl.

Cheers!

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by bhartman
stevieb,

You hit the nail on the head! I like your idea about sticking something inside the cap to allow breathing, but prevent leaking. I'll have to give it a whirl.

Cheers!
I didnt mean to stick it in the cap, that would contaminate the brake fluid, if/when the foam broke down. I meant find a round foam filter that if you stretched it out it would fit around the plastic reservoir.

BLK_03

Established Member
Someone posted a fix about this a long time ago. You basically remove some of the brake fluid from the reservoir so it doesn't "slosh" around and seap out of the cap as mentioned earlier.

I personally just keep wiping the mess up. It now hardly ever leaks out. I imagine I lost enough fluid out of the reservoir over time that it doesn't reach the top of the cap during "spirited" ;-) driving.

03Cobra745

Originally posted by BLK_03
Someone posted a fix about this a long time ago. You basically remove some of the brake fluid from the reservoir so it doesn't "slosh" around and seap out of the cap as mentioned earlier.

I personally just keep wiping the mess up. It now hardly ever leaks out. I imagine I lost enough fluid out of the reservoir over time that it doesn't reach the top of the cap during "spirited" ;-) driving.

That's what I was doing until I noticed that the fluid was removing the paint from my valve cover. :cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread