Leaky Cobra

King Cobra 2001

Smokin' Tires Year Round
Established Member
Let me start off by saying that I get my car serviced ritually.

Usually I park in the same space everyday at work. When I pulled in this morning, the spot where my car usually sits had a bunch of fluid on the ground. Some of it is antifreeze - I don't think I should be too worried about it (I just replaced the thermostat and everything seems kosher temperature wise), but then there is some other fluid mixed in....sort of a clear, oily fluid. I want to say it could be power steering fluid. I'm not certain though. After popping the hood and inspecting the engine bay, I could not see a source. I do not have access to some wedges or a lift, so it is pretty difficult for me to get underneath for further inspection.

Has anyone encountered this type of thing? Should I be concerned? What are your thoughts?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Check the spot in your garage where your car sits. Just because you always park in teh same spot doesn't mean Jo whoever doesn't park in it from time to time while you're gone.

I do however make a mental note of what's under my car as I'm walking away from it. That way if I come back and see some fluid and I don't remember it being there, I can do soemthing about it before I get stranded on the highway.

King Cobra 2001

Smokin' Tires Year Round
Established Member
I don't park in a garage at work. The office I work in is stand alone, and no one else parks in the spot but me. I know its coming from the car.

Over lunch I did a little investigating and I'm starting to think that when they changed the oil, they just made a damn mess when taking off the filter. They let the oil pool in the 'rack' (I think it's the rack) in the steering mechanisms. The oil is slowly dripping from that I believe. Let's hope thats all it is.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
King Cobra 2001 said:
I don't park in a garage at work. The office I work in is stand alone, and no one else parks in the spot but me. I know its coming from the car.

Over lunch I did a little investigating and I'm starting to think that when they changed the oil, they just made a damn mess when taking off the filter. They let the oil pool in the 'rack' (I think it's the rack) in the steering mechanisms. The oil is slowly dripping from that I believe. Let's hope thats all it is.

That very likely could be the case. Watch it for a couple days and if it doesn't stop then you might want to start checking seals etc. To be on the safe side I'd check your fluid levels at least once a day to be sure.

Kcobra99

Established Member
If the leak persists, it could be your engine oil cooler, it's fairly common for them to go bad. Or for the retaining bolt to loosen after an oil change.

zobes99cobra

whats the officer problem
Established Member
Yeah the GD oil cooler does go out. I had to replace mine after my shop changed my oil. Usually happens after an oil filter has been tightened down too much :nonono:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Just hose the area down with brake cleaner and water till its clean and then try to wait it out.

always clean and wait so you're not chasing that crap for weeks.

dvorak

Established Member
How about checking your parking space, garage, whatever at home? If in doubt put some newspaper or a piece of cardboard underneath your engine compartment tonight. If you have fluid on the paper in the morning then your car is leaking!

Users who are viewing this thread