leaky waterpump

creina

Established Member
I just changed my waterpump about 15K miles ago. I had the car on a lift not too long ago to do an oil change and it appears to be leaking again. I did use a re-man, but I thought It would have lasted longer than this. I'm kind of strapped for cash right now, how long do you think I have before it really shits the bed. I just had to put a clutch in it also. That was 977.00 for the entire job which is why I dont have any cash. Thanks in advance

Chris

BCSVT

Established Member
My son had the same problem over the winter. Installed a new pump last fall and this spring it was leaking again.. he works at murrys and had not driven the car since last fall. It failed after about 2000 miles. Murrays just replaced it for free.

He had to drive it for about two weeks with it leaking. As I had advised him, loosen the coolant bottle cap in order not to build any presure in the system and check the level once a day. If the water pump is only dripping you maybe able to drive it for sometime. If the pump starts to leak more or you notice the coolant level dropping at a faster rate the seals and or bearing are shot, stop driving it. Also, this was in the early spring in Mi. cool temps., if it is warmer than 80 for day time highs this may not work or if you if you drive it hard it could over heat..

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
$977??? I Hope that wasn't to replace the pump!! its only $60 for a new one, and only should take an hour to replace!

creina

Established Member
977.00 is for the clutch at 10 hours of labor at 58.00 an hour labor plus parts. I would've gone to a cheaper place with a cheaper labor rate but it was more of a time issue than a cash issue.

Users who are viewing this thread