Learn manual trans in a Cobra.

ZeroFear

Banned
My friend wants to buy his dads 04 Cobra ( stock ) but has very very little experiance with a manual trans, and none with a rwd car that can spit sideways if your not careful ( he has always driven fwd autos ). He kinda knows how to drive a manual but is really bad at it ( bucks on starts 3 outa 5 times, burns out on hills ). I said he is prolly gonna get owned, but he says with some practice he could pick it up. What do you guys think?

Anyone here learn to drive manual with a sports car thats as dangerous as a Cobra ?

reddog4063

Established Member
my first was an 87 honda civic...

I would say it is possible if he takes it easy, my thing was i would take the car out in my neighborhood at night when the roads here were very clear so i would not feel rushed practicing. Took awhile to get perfect but i was passable after only a few days.

iliveanddie

Established Member
I first drove stick on a friends z28. I followed up by doing alot of practice on my grandfathers 99 Cobra and it wasn't bad at all. As for speed and stuff since i don't own a fast car currently high school graduate on way to college ain't best. Though in 4 years due to an NROTC scholarship and a deal with parents i should have something fun. As for learning based on my experience he should be good as long as he is smart and doesn't go banging gears right away and takes time to learn the car and respects its power.

PS High school parking lots are great esp. my old high school for going around the gears through 3rd and stopping and starting and what not..friend of mine learned to launch his z28 there around 12 a night when he got it..we have a long straight away.

Last edited:

PKFIRE

Established Member
My buddy learned in my 2003 Stock 0Mustang Gt. It wasn't too much fun. I had to learn how to drive 2003 Cobra even after owning a GT. Very quick throttle response but I think if he has an idea on how to do it he should be fine. I just feel bad whoever has to ride with him.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
I think it would be good to learn on, so much torque makes it easy.
And if you are well behaved with the go pedal the clutch will be fine and the car will drive predictably.

4dsFiNeST

2L8uloose
Established Member
Its easier to drive stick on these things too much torque. Actually this was the first manual car I bought. I think this clutch engages easier than other cars. I dont think its a great idea for the cobra being his first rear wheel drive. These cars get sideways with little throttle. My cousin after driving fwd cars his whole life almost hit a guardrail when he drove my cobra.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
My son had a great deal of difficulty learning to drive my Cobra, due to the light flywheel and the fact that the clutch engages just off the floor. He would repeatedly stall the car. The first time I encouraged him to give it some gas, he nearly went sideways across the parking lot, and got scared of the car. I started driving on a Model "A" Ford, so had no problems.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
ZeroFear said:
I hope he is just joking....
Maybe for a young guy its dangerous. My car always seemed pretty tame. It would lose it if I floored it around turns. I had some pretty good tires on my car. They gripped well.

k4u2luz2

Established Member
When I bought my cobra I didn't know how at all. I had to have a firend pick it up and show me how on my 97 cobra. I would actually think it would be better to learn on a powerful car instead of a 4 banger. With more power you know exactly what you are doing wrong immediately.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
imo stock 03's are kinda tough because of the silent exhaust and 3:55's but you get used to it easy. first time i went to back it out i had it in sixth(used to the t5) and stalled it but thats just my lack of driving skills

1967eleanor

factory spoiler delete yo
Established Member
i knew the basics but i perfected it on my cobra and didnt kill my clutch the hardest thing is the stiff clutch and avoiding the "thunk"

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
tell him to buy a beat up 5 speed ford ranger. I learned on mine when it had 15k on the odo and now it's at 88k and it still drives like a dream... for a ranger that is... hahaa

OrangeCobra04

Established Member
I never driven a maunal until I bought my Cobra. I got it Saturday and drove it to school Monday. It's not hard to learn, and I was VERY anxious to learn how to drive one. Took all day Sunday to get comfortable with it, but had no problems the next day.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
How did I learn to drive a manual?? I went out and bought a brand-new 1995 Cobra and taught myself to drive it a few hours later. I was powershifting within a week and believe it or not, my clutch at least held out for over 70,000 miles before the throwout bearing started singing.

ASVT2NV

Insane And Rising....
Established Member
I never drove a stick until the day I bought my cobra. That was a very intresting day. What surprised me the most were the brakes at how quickly they responded. I was about to kill my friends neck!

Last edited:

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
My cobra was my first 5 speed car... with the clutch even with the brake for road racing 4.10 gears and a stage 3 clutch in it... and i had no problems... he will be fine...

Users who are viewing this thread