Learning the hard was not to reuse torque to yeild bolts.

ecoastkid

Established Member
Well it started on Sat on the track at pocono raceway. Ironcly it wasn't even being beet on but it started to miss pretty bad and my fuel trims were all over the place. Finally threw a lean code for both banks. I figured the plug we used on the back of the motor blew off. Boy was I wrong.

One of the 11 tiny bolts that hold the intercooler in place snapped and was injested by the motor. It looks like it hit at least one valve and was thrown back into the turky pan where I found it.

No use crying about it. I'm towing it back to my old town where my buds are and were doing a leak down plus using a buddys borescope to check things out. If we determin a head or both heads are screwed up, we're gonna rip the off right there. I'll have them at the machine shop with in a few days.

Now I LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE figured who cares, its just intercooler bolts. We'll let me tell you that if you reused yours, I'd get a new set pronto. Im going to replace mine with some grade 8 hardware damit..lol

Pics and more details tomrrow.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
that why ill only reuse the main blower/ic bolts..the small bastages that mount the IC to the midplate..no way if i pull those will they be reused.
Sorry bout your luck man i hope everything is ok and no real harm to the motor was done

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Sorry to hear. Did you torque them to spec? The spec is very low. 53 in/lb's.

I've never had an issue with any of the applications that I have reused the intercooler bolts, but thats not say that I wouldn't or couldn't.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help with the rebuild.

ecoastkid

Established Member
Sorry to hear. Did you torque them to spec? The spec is very low. 53 in/lb's.

I've never had an issue with any of the applications that I have reused the intercooler bolts, but thats not say that I wouldn't or couldn't.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help with the rebuild.

Well I plan on getting grade 8 (or grade 5 if I cant find 8 in that size) bolts for it. Do you think thats ok? If not, what would new bolts from ford cost?

Thanks bud. Look forward to finally meeting you this weekend.:beer:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Bolts from Ford are pretty cheap. Probably around $20 for all 11 of them.

Looking forward to meeting everybody myself. See you this weekend.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Damn that sucks..... guess its good it ended up back in the intake instead of pinging around in the cylinder

SilvieBolt

The whore that’s blue
Established Member
damn you didnt tell me that. Im gunna take my blower off and get new bolts myself. Let me know what you used.

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
Since they are metric, the grades are totally different and you would want CLASS 10.9 flange head bolts. I bought new Ford bolts when I pulled my IC to clean, and they were only around $20 or so. I made sure to TQ in a criss cross pattern in 20in/lb increments, until I hit around 52-55in/lbs.

95PGTTech

Established Member
You don't necessarily need to not reuse them. What you need to do is find the manufacturer specifications on desired, and acceptable to reuse bolt stretch. If they are within stretch limits, it is fine to reuse them. Obviously the bolt that failed was not.

It is just as much a problem to not achieve proper bolt stretch (easy example is ARP hardware on new Manley rods), as to install a bolt or stud with more than acceptable bolt stretch.

ecoastkid

Established Member
Well...bigger probs then I expected...

That bolt head was sucked into the number 3 cyl and destroyed the piston...It looked like the face of the moon. Gotta pull the motor, get the head fixed, put in a new piston and get it all back together...not looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread