Lease Question

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
Well my friends and I are in the process of finding housing for next year and eventually signing a lease. One company that manages a lot of the property around here has become notorious for being stingy come inspection.. who really knows though. Seeing as I have no experience I figured I would post up a copy of the lease and see if anyone wants to look through it and see anything that isn't typical or irregular. Thanks, I recognize that they are probably meant to be long, detailed and protective of the owners. Appreciate any comments.

http://www.aptsdowntown.com/pdf/Apartment_Lease_2009.pdf

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I oversee several apartment communities and will look through it.

EDIT:

WOW! I could not tell you without having experience in Iowa City whether or not everything in here is legal. I would ship a copy of it to the Iowa City Housing Authority for review. A quick glance of their website does not identify a department that would do this but worth a call. My guess is they know their business well because they have everything well covered. Just not sure they are able to charge some of the fees they have listed here. Many of the Counties I work with limit damage charges to actual costs of replacement whereas this lease dictates charges in advance. This company clearly deals primarily in student housing.

$70 per nail hole is just crazy and it is safe to say you will not get your deposit back in full since they have already identified charges in the lease that are deducted at the time the lease is terminated for turnover costs. If you do plan on renting with this company I can only suggest that you document everything, and pay extremely close attention to the many deadlines set forth in the lease. Your pre-inspection will be the most important thing you do and according to the lease they have strict guidelines, and deadlines on this. You should take very close pictures of every spec of that apartment. Especially considering that one pre-existing nailhole will cost you $70. They really have a rackett going and I am sure they have a very profitable entity on their hands.

Good luck, I would not sign that lease but certainly understand the challanges you will face finding housing. Students are not a protected class so anyone could basically deny you.

Last edited:

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
Thank you for the comments, lets just say they manage a good portion of the property near campus, so perhaps that is how they can get away with it. Anyways, I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread