Leavin Sunday

TrevorR90

Banned
Ahh, I remember basic, it was 2 years ago and it feels like it was just yesterday when I first got to Ft benning.. It was by far the worst time of my life but when I'm finally out of the Military I can look back and laugh, at one point in life I will say I miss basic and the Military when I actually don't..

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Just got out of USMC basic so here's what I'd recommend:

Get promoted to PFC if you can, the extra money you'll make is worth it. If you don't have it already then get into a position where you're going to get it meritoriously at the end so either be guide, squad leader, scribe possibly or be the company high shooter on the range, something of that sort. If you want any of these positions you got to put yourself out there and not be shy. The drill instructors are tough at first but they like to see people step up and take initiative. Pretty much the whole point of being there is make you a leader so just put yourself out there right off the bat and get the experience.

If you're not already start doing wide bar pull ups to build those back muscles. The benefit from those helps in a lot of other activities like push ups, ammo can lifts, etc.

That's all I got for now, I think most of it was already covered.

Good luck!

Rochard

Established Member
Never first, never last, always stick to the middle. At least until you figure out how stuff works.

Best advice for Marine boot camp ever.

Just remember it's all mind games, and the stress is all just to test you. You can never do good enough in the eyes of your drill instructors.

No one told me any of this; I went in blind. At first it scared the piss out of me, but I sort of learned how to mentally shut down and ignore it. I kid you not, when I was getting yelled out or doing their little exercises, I just started day dreaming. Seemed to have worked.

Rochard

Established Member
Oh, btw, after 3 months at PI I discovered that yelling me has no effect what so ever. I had a boss who was a yeller, used to scream at me and throw things at me. I would just be calm and sit there looking at him, and then when he was done ranting I would just smile and ask him a stupid question just to set him off again.

Worked for him for five years, and we became good friends.

Users who are viewing this thread